tin man | maine.usa

My practically new 2005 Airborne Thunderbolt

So Iast fall, I was in the market for a new bike, something slightly off the beaten Trek/Giant/Specialized/etc. path (NTTAWWT) and found this, a specimen with 3 miles on it that had been traded in at a not-so-LBS about a year prior. Not magnesium but aluminum frame, full 10-speed Ultegra, Ouzo Pro fork, Reynolds Alta Comp wheelset. The wheels wouldn't be my first choice but they'll be fine for the foreseeable future, I hope. The seat is a cutout (!) Selle Italia Trans Am on a Bontrager alu seatpost , which I'll probably swap out for my Selle Italia Nitrox/Thomson seatpost. Really stoked about my purchase and I plan to run it plenty hard, hopefully starting next week if the roads are clear. This thread is useless without pics, though it does appear that a good and thorough cleaning is in order:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My practically new 2005 Airborne Thunderbolt-airborne.jpg   My practically new 2005 Airborne Thunderbolt-airborne2.jpg   My practically new 2005 Airborne Thunderbolt-airborne3.jpg   My practically new 2005 Airborne Thunderbolt-airborne4.jpg  
    The other hobby: pl8ster.net
    --------------
    The bikes: 1996 Klein Pulse Comp MTB
    Fuji road frame w/random parts 2005 Airborne Thunderbolt

toomanybikes
    Very nice.

Nothing wrong with the wheels, I had a set of Alta RAce and they were very nice wheels indeed.

A shame that Airborne went away - I really liked that Carpe Diem frae they sold, almost bought one 2 or 3 times.

Guess I should have.

tin man | maine.usa
    Yeah, the Alta Race are a step up from what I've got, but I'm sure these will be fine. I'm thinking about taking the stickers off anyway.

Not sure what size frame you are, and it's not a Carpe Diem, but there's a NOS 58cm Valkyrie frame on the 'bay right now.
    --------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanybikes
    Very nice.

Nothing wrong with the wheels, I had a set of Alta RAce and they were very nice wheels indeed.

A shame that Airborne went away - I really liked that Carpe Diem frae they sold, almost bought one 2 or 3 times.

Guess I should have.
    They didn't, they just lost control of the name.

www.flyte1.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice bike pl8ster.

Airborne did indeed survive as now goes by the Flyte name. My '06 Flyte SR3 bears a strong resemblance to your Airborne frame.

'00 TiSports Titanium - DA 9 speed------.--- '01 KHS Flite 800 - DA/Utegra 9 speed mix
    Ellsworth Flight - Ultegra 10 speed -..'03 Basso Coral - Ultegra 10 speed
    '03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
    '05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -..... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
    '05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--......-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle
    They didn't, they just lost control of the name.

www.flyte1.com

Yep, but not the same.

The Carpe Diem ( and many of the others) were Titanium.

tin man | maine.usa
    Blandin - it does look like we have the same exact frame. How does yours compare to your other bikes?

It's not high-end, especially on this board, but it's much like the time I went from a 1978 Toyota Corona wagon to a 1989 Acura Integra. The Integra felt like a Ferrari by comparision
    --------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's really a nice bike - stiff, responsive and corners very well. I enjoy mine a lot, and I'm certain you will as well.
    '00 TiSports Titanium - DA 9 speed------.--- '01 KHS Flite 800 - DA/Utegra 9 speed mix
    Ellsworth Flight - Ultegra 10 speed -..'03 Basso Coral - Ultegra 10 speed
    '03 Specialized Allez Pro - DA 10 speed .'04 Scattante CFR Limited - DA 9 speed
    '05 KHS Flite 2000 - Ultegra 9 speed -..... '06 Flyte SRS-3 - DA 9 speed-------
    '05 Serotta Fierte - Utegra 10 speed--......-'07 Pedal Force RS - SRAM Force