Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008

Need Advice: LBS has a Leftover 2007 Specialized Allez Pro - Full Drua-ace

I currently have a 2009 Specialize Roubaixd Expert Full Ultegra SL. I like this bike and the ride for longer rides, but I have been looking at an aluminum race geo bike for a while now. My LBS has this 2007 Allez Pro leftover brand new. I have not ridden it yet but I do not want to if its not a good deal. He is asking 2599 down from 3999. If that is a good deal then I will ride it and if it feels good get it as a 2nd bike. I would like to get him down to 2300 and throw in a $200 fit thought.

Here is a link to the bike http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...07&sid=07Allez

Let me know your thoughts on the price and component group vs 2011 prices. Like should I get a 2011 allez with full 105 for 1k less and it will perform similar etc, from Shimano trickling down tech.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

T K
    wasssabi
    A few things.
    I used to have that bike. Great bike. Compared to the Roubaix it has way sharper handling. Almost twitchy. Rode real smooth too.
    I sold mine after riding a Caad 9. Caad felt stiffer and less twitchy. Just liked the ride better overall.
    Don't really look at it as an 07 but how does it compare to other new models. Meaning, what is another qaulity aluminum bike with D/A going for. That frame is as good as anything made today and most likely better. Is the new Allez even as good as that. E5 aerotech aluminum?
    What's a top of the line Felt, Trek, Cannondale with D/A going for? I don't know. Check them out. That bike should be a bit less than those because it is an older model, but it would be every bit as good.
    Check out some other prices. If that bike was say $500 less than any others I would jump on it.
    Oh, and that bike would be way better than a new Allez with 105. No brainer!

T K
    wasssabi
    O.K., I just checked.
    Caad 10 D/A $3199, probobly actually cheaper in stores. Felt only come in 105.
    So, deffinately no more than $2500 for that bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd flat-out consider something else.

Like a CAAD 10-4. You may like SRAM in terms of ergonomics, and bottom-line is, you want an "aluminum race geo" bike. Don't get so fixated on the spec. sheets at this point. The 10-4 has more than enough, probably will bring you closer to that racier feel with the claims of it being ever-more advanced, and you'll spend less on something that realistically isn't worse than D/A at all.

Only reason I'd pursue the Allez is if you had a personal liking to the model, brand, and/or D/A 7800 in particular.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Another thing you need to factor in is the wheels on that bike are outstanding. I doubt you'd find another bike with full DA AND has that quality wheels for that price. Most other options will either have a down grade in wheels and or say they are full DA but actually have a crappy crank or brakes.

Don't get to caught up in components. Really good wheels and obviously proper Geo for you will do much more for you than the difference between DA and Ultegra or whatever group sets you're comparing.

Financially I think the bike is a decent deal. If that's a good bike for you or not who knows. Personally I probably wouldn't spend that much on a bike with an aluminum frame and if I did it would almost certainly be a CAAD9. I don't know much about that frame though, maybe it's better than I know.

Bike Ninja
    Also consider the Super Strada with sram apex. Performs the same but costs about $1500 less than the allez pro for $2300.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    those bikes closed out in 2007 for $2300. Have they appreciated in value?

Great closeout deal
    Thread Started on Nov 3, 2007, 2:02pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If anyone is looking for a killer deal on a full Dura Ace road bike, Specialized has a few of the 2007 Allez Pro's left at $2295 down from $3700. The bike also has a Sworks carbon bar, stem and seatpost, along with Dura Ace wheels.

Call me at the shop, 828-586-6925.
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

Cycling induced anoesis
    If your Roubaix fits you well and you're considering another Specialized (but with race geo) for around $2600, why not test ride the Tarmac Comp Ultegra. Discounted you'd be right around your price and I think there's a good chance the new Ulltegra will match DA 7800 group.

That aside, whatever you're considering, I suggest test riding it before agonizing over the decision. Coming from a Roubaix, you might just find that an alu race bike (or CF, for that matter) isn't to your liking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by T K
    A few things.
    I used to have that bike. Great bike. Compared to the Roubaix it has way sharper handling. Almost twitchy. Rode real smooth too.
    I sold mine after riding a Caad 9. Caad felt stiffer and less twitchy. Just liked the ride better overall.
    Don't really look at it as an 07 but how does it compare to other new models. Meaning, what is another qaulity aluminum bike with D/A going for. That frame is as good as anything made today and most likely better. Is the new Allez even as good as that. E5 aerotech aluminum?
    What's a top of the line Felt, Trek, Cannondale with D/A going for? I don't know. Check them out. That bike should be a bit less than those because it is an older model, but it would be every bit as good.
    Check out some other prices. If that bike was say $500 less than any others I would jump on it.
    Oh, and that bike would be way better than a new Allez with 105. No brainer!
    Thank you, I like the perspective looking at comparing it with other DA 7800 equipped bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck
    I'd flat-out consider something else.

Like a CAAD 10-4. You may like SRAM in terms of ergonomics, and bottom-line is, you want an "aluminum race geo" bike. Don't get so fixated on the spec. sheets at this point. The 10-4 has more than enough, probably will bring you closer to that racier feel with the claims of it being ever-more advanced, and you'll spend less on something that realistically isn't worse than D/A at all.

Only reason I'd pursue the Allez is if you had a personal liking to the model, brand, and/or D/A 7800 in particular.
    Since I have a Specialized now I kind of lean toward them to stay committed. I have had awesome experience with their customer support. This LBS also sells Cannondale too though. Thanks for the reply.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank Stamper
    Another thing you need to factor in is the wheels on that bike are outstanding. I doubt you'd find another bike with full DA AND has that quality wheels for that price. Most other options will either have a down grade in wheels and or say they are full DA but actually have a crappy crank or brakes.

Don't get to caught up in components. Really good wheels and obviously proper Geo for you will do much more for you than the difference between DA and Ultegra or whatever group sets you're comparing.

Financially I think the bike is a decent deal. If that's a good bike for you or not who knows. Personally I probably wouldn't spend that much on a bike with an aluminum frame and if I did it would almost certainly be a CAAD9. I don't know much about that frame though, maybe it's better than I know.
    Yes! This is what pulled me in to this bike. THe wheels alone sell for 800-900 on ebay. So naturally I thought this was a steal but just needed confirmation. The alternative is the CAAD 10-1's RS 80 wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    If your Roubaix fits you well and you're considering another Specialized (but with race geo) for around $2600, why not test ride the Tarmac Comp Ultegra. Discounted you'd be right around your price and I think there's a good chance the new Ulltegra will match DA 7800 group.

That aside, whatever you're considering, I suggest test riding it before agonizing over the decision. Coming from a Roubaix, you might just find that an alu race bike (or CF, for that matter) isn't to your liking.
    I agree fit is everything! I just did not want to make the shop size the bike to my current, transfer my pedals and risk me wrecking it on the streets of PA if after all that you guys said it was not a good deal.

I agree the Tarmac is a logical step if I am looking for a carbon race geo. The thing I love and hate at the same time about carbon and the roubaix in particular is the stiffness. Long rides its great, but shorter <30 mi group rides I feel its too squishy. Loose down the hills and soft when im sprinting to catch up. I will def keep the roubaix for the long rides or to beat around in the winter months.

I hope I make sense and thanks for the input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by draganM
    those bikes closed out in 2007 for $2300. Have they appreciated in value?
    Thanks for the info. 2300 is a good starting price for negotiating when if i go to buy it. Also I think the leftovers to appreciate since Specialized has increased the prices of new 20-30% the past 2 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rcekstrom
    Thanks for the info. 2300 is a good starting price for negotiating when if i go to buy it. Also I think the leftovers to appreciate since Specialized has increased the prices of new 20-30% the past 2 years.
    You are a retailer's dream if you think it fair an old stock bike should be APPRECIATE simply because the new stuff has increased a percentage. It may not be discounted as heavily, but at the same time it's "old news" in one size that's going to be a pain in the rear to sell.

Also, do not believe that because your current bike is carbon and rides like XYZ that any carbon bike you get on will also ride like XYZ. It's great to think aluminum for a race bike if you want something that is cheaper and more replaceable to race on (and certainly not inferior by default by any means), but it's foolhearty to assume a carbon race bike is going to ride like a carbon performance/comfort/distance bike just because the material is the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    You are a retailer's dream if you think it fair an old stock bike should be APPRECIATE simply because the new stuff has increased a percentage. It may not be discounted as heavily, but at the same time it's "old news" in one size that's going to be a pain in the rear to sell.

Also, do not believe that because your current bike is carbon and rides like XYZ that any carbon bike you get on will also ride like XYZ. It's great to think aluminum for a race bike if you want something that is cheaper and more replaceable to race on (and certainly not inferior by default by any means), but it's foolhearty to assume a carbon race bike is going to ride like a carbon performance/comfort/distance bike just because the material is the same.
    Sorry neither of these statements reflect what I said or meant.

First MSRP of the bike is 3999 in 2007 he is selling for 2599 today. I would like to think I could get it for 2300 like the other person pointed out. I don't see how that reflects appreciation.

Second specialized has different grades of carbon. Mine an expert model has 8 layers. Higher models have more of course, I don't need to get into how this relates to stiffness, but PJ mentioned a Tarmac comp which has less layers of carbon. No matter the geo it will be less stiff than what I have now.

Anyway thanks for the reply.

T K
    wasssabi
    I think you would have a hard time finding a 2010 or 11 comparably equiped for $2300 with a frame that good. Sure you could get a lower model carbon Tarmac or somthing for that price but the component spec would not be as good and the frame would most likely be a heavier lower grade carbon. Yay, it's carbon! Doubt it would be better though. That is a light and stiff frame.
    If the bike fits you and is what you are looking for you won't regret it. Ride and race the crap out of it. I still see a bunch of those framesets out at the crits all the time.

Cycling induced anoesis

First MSRP of the bike is 3999 in 2007 he is selling for 2599 today. I would like to think I could get it for 2300 like the other person pointed out. I don't see how that reflects appreciation.

Second specialized has different grades of carbon. Mine an expert model has 8 layers. Higher models have more of course, I don't need to get into how this relates to stiffness, but PJ mentioned a Tarmac comp which has less layers of carbon. No matter the geo it will be less stiff than what I have now.

The bolded statement isn't quite right. The number designation that Specialized uses is referencing the grade of carbon used, no tthe 'layers' - or layup. While it's true that (generally speaking) the higher the grade, the stiffer the frame, some of that added stiffness comes from design and layup used, so (as an example) an 8r Roubaix isn't necessarily stiffer than a 7r Tarmac.

Also, Roubaix's are designed to ride and handle differently that Tarmacs. I've never heard someone that's ridden both say that a Tarmac was flexy and a Roubaix was stiff, unless they were comparing bikes several years apart.

Just a FYI, I'm not offering any of this in an effort to sway you one way or the other - only you can decide what's best for you. But I think you're under mistaken impressions on the differences between CF bikes (in this case, the Tarmac and Roubaix), so 'clarification' is my only goal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008

1) You flat out used the word appreciate...
    My point still stands. If the thing closed out in 2007 at $2300 it doesn't matter how much more expensive new bikes are comparatively it should be selling for LESS than $2300 now. IE: $2300 is not a good starting point for negotiation, it's you getting ripped of (IF it closed out for that price as a truly new bike in 2007)

2) As PJ mentioned your thoughts are flawed here, not mine.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by CougarTrek
    1) You flat out used the word appreciate...
    My point still stands. If the thing closed out in 2007 at $2300 it doesn't matter how much more expensive new bikes are comparatively it should be selling for LESS than $2300 now. IE: $2300 is not a good starting point for negotiation, it's you getting ripped of (IF it closed out for that price as a truly new bike in 2007)

2) As PJ mentioned your thoughts are flawed here, not mine.
    Just to clarify, my remarks were only in response to the bolded statements the OP made relating to CF, not points you and the OP are arguing regarding prices.

I have no opinion on that other than what I've already offered re: choices in the $2600 range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    The bolded statement isn't quite right. The number designation that Specialized uses is referencing the grade of carbon used, no tthe 'layers' - or layup. While it's true that (generally speaking) the higher the grade, the stiffer the frame, some of that added stiffness comes from design and layup used, so (as an example) an 8r Roubaix isn't necessarily stiffer than a 7r Tarmac.

Also, Roubaix's are designed to ride and handle differently that Tarmacs. I've never heard someone that's ridden both say that a Tarmac was flexy and a Roubaix was stiff, unless they were comparing bikes several years apart.

Just a FYI, I'm not offering any of this in an effort to sway you one way or the other - only you can decide what's best for you. But I think you're under mistaken impressions on the differences between CF bikes (in this case, the Tarmac and Roubaix), so 'clarification' is my only goal.
    Thank you for the clarification, I guess it wont hurt to test ride a Tarmac in the same price range, but its safe to say that the Tarmacs in the 2300-2500 price range are not going to be as stiff as the Aluminum Allez or CAADs, but I know I should at least ride it.

Cougar - thanks for your continued contribution to this thread.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    He's looking for an aluminum race geo bike with DA or equivalent. You suggested a low end aluminum bike with Apex; how is that the same? If he's actually looking to race the bike, who needs a 34/32 gear?

Quote Originally Posted by SilentAssassin
    Also consider the Super Strada with sram apex. Performs the same but costs about $1500 less than the allez pro for $2300.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentAssassin
    Apex is SRAMs equivalent to Tiagra. How can you compare it to Dura Ace? That being said, the price is still too high. You don't have much to compare it to since you will be hard pressed to even find a new Dura Ace bike with an aluminum frame. Manufacturers tend to go up to 105. C-dales CAAD is the only bike that I know of that is currently produced with aluminum frame and Dura Ace. Still, the price seems high on the Allez. 7800 is the best Dura Ace group as of late IMO, but it's obsolete. Shimano hasn't made it in 2 years. For $2300, it better have carbon Dura Ace wheels on it too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I know you mentioned above that you want to stick with them. I too ride a Spec and love the brand, but if I were to buy and aluminum bike of any type it would be a Cannondale (a friend has a CAAD 9 - great bike). If I was willing to spend over 2 grand for an aluminum bike, it would be the CAAD 10 hands down. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that 2011 Ultegra is as good as, if not better than, 2007 DA. Again that's just an assumption I'm making so anyone who knows more is welcome to correct me, but if it's true then that CAAD 10-3 is even cheaper than the old bike you mention.

I understand brand loyalty and it seems you are almost just looking for approval to pull the trigger on this Allez (I mean no offense by that, but it's the impression I get from your replies), but if you like the LBS and they also sell Cannondale, I think you should at least consider it.

In short, I would not pay that much for that bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bds3
    I know you mentioned above that you want to stick with them. I too ride a Spec and love the brand, but if I were to buy and aluminum bike of any type it would be a Cannondale (a friend has a CAAD 9 - great bike). If I was willing to spend over 2 grand for an aluminum bike, it would be the CAAD 10 hands down. I don't know for sure, but I would bet that 2011 Ultegra is as good as, if not better than, 2007 DA. Again that's just an assumption I'm making so anyone who knows more is welcome to correct me, but if it's true then that CAAD 10-3 is even cheaper than the old bike you mention.

I understand brand loyalty and it seems you are almost just looking for approval to pull the trigger on this Allez (I mean no offense by that, but it's the impression I get from your replies), but if you like the LBS and they also sell Cannondale, I think you should at least consider it.

In short, I would not pay that much for that bike.

Thanks for your reply. You are kind of right, I want to run in that store and hop on that bike for a test ride and pull the trigger if it rides as good as it looks. However I dont want to find out that i got riped off.

I am having a hard time piecing a comparable bike together on ebay, Full 7800 including wheels and an alum frame, saddle, carbon bars etc for $2300 so that is why I thought it was an accurate price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I and other guys on my "team" raced that model and the next years Allez pro... full dura ace. They were awesome race bikes.... I would not pay more than $2300 for sure. It is going on 3+ model years old. That depreciates a bicycle a lot! There aren't a lot of quality alum race frames out there now... with high end parts.

Those are some of the best clincher wheels ever made... my buddy is still racing on mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast