RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005

Need fork for Felt F35. Will this one do?

I'm building up a road bike based on a 2005 Felt F35 frame and found a Felt carbon fork that is from a 2005 Felt F2C (1-1/8", 700c) with alloy steerer tube that is 8 3/4." How do I figure out if this will fit? I'd also appreciate any headset advice. Thanks.

BBJ
    I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    Jun 2004
    It will probably work, but we need more information. Is the fork built for a standard or integrated headset? Is your frame built for a standard or integrated headset? Is the frame built for a 1.125" or 1.000" steer tube?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad John
    It will probably work, but we need more information. Is the fork built for a standard or integrated headset? Is your frame built for a standard or integrated headset? Is the frame built for a 1.125" or 1.000" steer tube?
    Given they are both 2005 felts, the answer is YES. Felt wouldn't make both integrated and non integrated headtubes, and almost no one still uses 1 inch steerers. Feel free to swap them out. Just to be safe, you could check the website to see if the rakes are different.

Why however: if every measurement is metric, are steerers measured in inches?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks for your replies. My concern now has to do with steerer tube length, given that this fork - which I bought - has already been installed and cut down. 8-3/4" is left, which from what I've scoured seems reasonable for a 56cm Felt. I also agree that inches should be phased out of this industry, as it's become too confusing to contantly relate to the two different measurements. My wife just got into cycling and is equally perturbed by the multitude of measurements. Can you tell me why a 700mm wheel is referred to as 700C?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The term 700C was derived by the original french system of labeling wheel sizes. The 700 refers to the outer tire diameter (although its really smaller - 622 I think), and there were A, B, and C. The letter was for the tire width. The C width became the most popular and the name has stuck although the C seems to be going away now. Nowadays the letter has nothing to do with the tire width.