Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Need help! First bike - Bianchi Vigorelli sizing?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AlexCad5 
#1 ·
I'm very close to purchasing my first road bike. I was fitted on a 58 Felt 90 (06) and I liked it. It is mostly sora with tiagra dereiller however so I know it's low end. For reference I was also fitted on a trek 1000 in a 60

I have the opportunity to buy a Bianchi Vigorelli, a few years old, in a size 59 for a comparable price but I'm concerned about sizing. I will get to try it out first but I really don't know what to look for. Can anyone give me any advice or let me know if these tend to run large, small compared to a trek or felt?

I know I'm supposed to get sized and buy my first bike in a shop but it's a money issue and if I can get a few year old full ultegra bike for the same price as a Sora/Tiagra new then I should probably consider it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last question, is there any place that will let me figure out what year this bike is? The owner isn't sure and I don't want to end up with a older bike than I think I'm getting. I was told it's turquoise which fades to orange in back.

#2 ·
Don't be in a hurry to buy a bike. There are more "opportunities" than you can imagine. Just look on Ebay, or this sites classifieds to give you an idea.

First, when you try a bike, try it in two different sizes if possible. Don't let the sales person tell you that you are a size 60cm and leave it at that. Many people are "between" sizes. Typically I would choose the smaller of the two if I were "between." Also bikes are sized differently. A "60" in one brand will not be the same size, and certainly won't have the same geometry.

Second, write the geometry and measurements down on a spread sheet of all the bikes that seem to fit. Ask them to give you a geometry chart. For your own reference I would measure the head tube and top tube yourself. I will help you become more familliar with what the numbers mean in terms of a bike. It will also help alert you to alternitive methods of measuring a bike. Center to Center, as opposed to center to top.

Third, pay particular attention to what is a comfortable reach. Think: If I could move the bar to the perfect position, where would it be. If the perfect position is 3cm behind where your hands are, you probably should look for a bike with a shorter top tube.

Fourth, pay particular attention to the Head Tube length which is often overlooked. Many racing bikes have very short head Tubes. Beware of this if you are over the age of 30. I also would measure the distance from the ground to the top of the handle bars. While you can probably drop the bars a couple of cm, you can't raise them by other than installing a riser stem (tre funky looking.) This will take into account the length of the fork which will vary from bike to bike, and the head tube. If your saddle is in relatively the same position, a taller front end will put you in a more comfortalbe upright position, while a lower front end will drop you into a more aggressive and uncomfortable position.

Then there is fork rake and head tube angle. Maybe little too much info for one posting. Start looking at frames, find the numbers that seem to work for you, and that will tell you what bike to buy. Take your time, and do your research about the right fit.
Good Luck

#3 ·
Bianchi measures to the top of the seat tube. So the Bianchi 59 might fit like a 57 or 58 of a manufacturer that measures to the center of the seat tube / top tube intersection.

As for the year, search eBay for Bianchi Vigorellis and find one that matches the paint scheme of the bike you're looking at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.