Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neuvation FC500

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009

Neuvation FC500

So, what do you guys think? It is definitely a bit pricer then I would like for a bike that I can't test ride, but I'll reserve judgement until somebody can comment on the ride characteristics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Looks very similar to the Masi Volumetrica 3VC and some Fondriest carbon offerings. Probably from the same factory. Depending on the lay up / fiber, it could be very similar to those bikes. The front triangle looks very Tarmac to my eyes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Answered to the BB30 call, but it's like the F/FC100 all over again: we don't know what it is 'till one of us tries it. Otherwise, I still don't like the bike aesthetically.

T K
    wasssabi
    I personally love Nuevation wheels. I think John the owner seems to be a good guy, but I really question his taste and judgment in the looks department. I think most of his products are kind of ugly with bad logos or badging. I think he would do better if his stuff just looked a lot better. Having said that, I would not question the qaulity of his products.
    My 2 cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by T K
    I personally love Nuevation wheels. I think John the owner seems to be a good guy, but I really question his taste and judgment in the looks department. I think most of his products are kind of ugly with bad logos or badging. I think he would do better if his stuff just looked a lot better. Having said that, I would not question the qaulity of his products.
    My 2 cents.
    apart from the ugly design in the bike, does it ride good for ye?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I think the bike's design looks nice, actually. I've never been a fan of flashy, overdone graphics, and I suspect a lot of people are like me. The paint scheme on this bike is nice and subtle. The Neuvation logo, I agree, is not particularly nice.

I'm not sure if it's just a big frame, but the headtube looks pretty tall. I wonder how the geo compares to the other bikes.

Asad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I just received my FC500 yesterday and took it for a maiden voyage this morning. Background: I've been riding a Merckx Titanium AX (actually made for Merckx by Litespeed) for 11 years and it weighs about 18.5 lbs. I put a pair of Neuvation wheels on it a while back and that's when I realized that John Neugent was on to something. His wheels are awesome. I have loved my Merckx. That's my frame of reference.

I decided I wanted to try Carbon because it seems that's the way everyone is going, I've done a lot of research and well, a new bike is pretty exciting.. I started corresponding with John nearly a year ago when I heard he was going to be building up a monocoque carbon bike. I already was planning to buy his current carbon bike (FC100). Since I have relatives in San Luis Obispo, I even went and met him and talked at length about these new frames.

Since at this point I can't provide much real quanitative data other than the weight, 15.5 lbs with Sram Force, I will just give you my subjective assessment.

I hadn't expected it to be so much of an improvement over the Merckx but it is great. It is extremely stiff through the bottom bracket. I stood on the pedals as hard as I could and there is almost zero flex. Titanium is known for a stiff but comfortable ride (not teeth rattling like some ultra stiff racing bikes). Well, the FC500 has similar ride comfort to the Ti. All differences are improvements and what is most noticeable is how quickly it accelerates when you stand on it. Maybe that's the weight difference. I do love it. I like the look though it is maybe not as sexy as some of the brightly painted bikes. It totally works for me and the price seems to be about half of what equivalent bikes are going for.

Chad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by azbikenut
    I just received my FC500 yesterday and took it for a maiden voyage this morning. Background: I've been riding a Merckx Titanium AX (actually made for Merckx by Litespeed) for 11 years and it weighs about 18.5 lbs. I put a pair of Neuvation wheels on it a while back and that's when I realized that John Neugent was on to something. His wheels are awesome. I have loved my Merckx. That's my frame of reference.

I decided I wanted to try Carbon because it seems that's the way everyone is going, I've done a lot of research and well, a new bike is pretty exciting.. I started corresponding with John nearly a year ago when I heard he was going to be building up a monocoque carbon bike. I already was planning to buy his current carbon bike (FC100). Since I have relatives in San Luis Obispo, I even went and met him and talked at length about these new frames.

Since at this point I can't provide much real quanitative data other than the weight, 15.5 lbs with Sram Force, I will just give you my subjective assessment.

I hadn't expected it to be so much of an improvement over the Merckx but it is great. It is extremely stiff through the bottom bracket. I stood on the pedals as hard as I could and there is almost zero flex. Titanium is known for a stiff but comfortable ride (not teeth rattling like some ultra stiff racing bikes). Well, the FC500 has similar ride comfort to the Ti. All differences are improvements and what is most noticeable is how quickly it accelerates when you stand on it. Maybe that's the weight difference. I do love it. I like the look though it is maybe not as sexy as some of the brightly painted bikes. It totally works for me and the price seems to be about half of what equivalent bikes are going for.

Chad
    We need pics!!!!

Bob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Hope this works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neuvation FC500-img_1601_1024.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Nice!

Looks great. Are you in AZ? Phoenix area?

Bob

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I am. Though I live in Phoenix area, I like to ride in Southern AZ and this time of year in the Flagstaff area. Kinda hot and humid this time of year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I am. Though I live in Phoenix area, I like to ride in Southern AZ and this time of year in the Flagstaff area. Kinda hot and humid this time of year.

Chad

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Cool. I would love to see the FC500 in person. It is riding season here now. As long as you get up at 4:45am >

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Have the bike out more yet? I'm really interested in getting one but am just wanting some more reviews/impressions before making the dive

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I took a 40 mile ride this morning with some good climbs. It is an incredible bike. It's got me jazzed about riding. I will be doing the Copper triangle ride on Colorado on 8/7 and am looking forward to it. I highly recommend this bike. The price is probably half what you'd pay for a bike like this.

Per previous posts, it doesn't have the sexy paint of some but I actually like the paint scheme. I don't know what you'd be moving from but I can say it's a big step from my Merckx Ti bike, which was no slouch.

I didn't go into this without doing my homework and I was willing to wait close to a year for John to get these frames in. I'm also new to Sram components and can say now it's great stuff.

dan5472
    Sharp. I, myself, like that stealth look.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    The bike looks a lot better than originally thought. What size is that and how tall are you? I'm having difficulty with measurements. I'm 5'6' and stuck between the 49 or 52?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    My frame is a 52 (says 51 in the spreadsheet on John Neugent's site). I am 5''7" and the bike is dead on for me. John asks for three measurements from your current bike assuming they are good and he makes the call on frame size. He is very responsive if you email him with questions. That's what I suggest you do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I should mention, the saddle was mine. The only other modification from the standard is the carbon stem/HB combo which I'd do again. You can choose your gears from a few options too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Fc 500

Looks like a great bike, may even purchase one next season.
    I actually just discovered it is made by Trigon bikes, frame RQC29. Looks like very high quality at an awesome price.

http://www.trigonbicycles.com/FrameRQC29X-RQC29.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Clearly, that is the frame. The Trigon has a very nice paint scheme, but I'm a function over form type, especially at less than half the price.

Since my last post here, I've put many more miles on this bike, including a grueling ride in Colorado, Copper Triangle. I love riding this bike! I do get a lot of "What is that?" queries.

I have friends riding high end Cervello, Orbea, Trek and Specialized bikes and I would never bad mouth those bikes, they're sweet. The difference for me is that they paid a lot more for them. Everyone loves his/her bike but I think I'm fairly objective in recommending the Neuvation with no reservation. Now I just need to find a buyer for my Eddy Mercks Titanium AX.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Fc 500

I agree, I have no idea what the price is on the Trigon. I just sent them an email just to see. And it isn't the RQC29(which has the integrated seatpost) It is the RQC30 that is the same as the FC500. I would also stick with Nuevations for the price. I have been looking around at Trek's and Specialized bikes, but for the money I want to spend, I know I'm not going to get the best parts, and they make those frames overseas anyway. The FC500 look to be the best choice and is really well built. The older I get the less I care about the name and paint, I just want quality, function, and good components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    John, understandably, didn't mention Trigon to me and I never asked. I discovered it Googling around (probably like you did) and am certain it comes from Trigon. It is virtually impossible to find prices but there's one here for a complete bike set up with Sram Red and very serious carbon wheels. http://www.testrider.com/fly.aspx?la...xid=74&cid=282

RoadBikeReview Member
    Anyone here have the FC100? If so, how do you like it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Just got my Neuvation FC500 a few days ago and I am more than pleased. Went with all sram components, carbon bars and upgrade wheels. Took my time and studied various bikes and having ridden a ton of miles on a couple sets of Neuvation tires I pulled the trigger. I own or have owned and raced the first Trek 5200, and later the Litespeed Ultimate, and a Specialized Roubaix. Believe me the stiffness of my FC500 feels terrific when you step down or are attacking a hill. Very impressed with how stable the bike feels descending. Neuvation does a great job setting the bike up, and if I did not know what I paid I would think I was riding a bike in the 5000 dollar plus range.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast