RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

New bike to me: Neuvation FC100 - photos too...

Well at 51 years old I've decided to return to cycling after a long hiatus. Back in the 80's I turned to running and ran for 18 years. After the old knees decided to start giving me trouble I stopped running and did masters swimming for 10 years. That routine just got too dull and repetitive so I thought its time for a new gig. It takes me a while to learn

I did a fair bit of research and knew that I didn't want an entry level bike but also didn't want to spend a ton of money just in case the sport just wasn't for me 6 months down the road. Typically, once I start something I get committed for the long term so I wanted the bike to be better than the rider.

So after all the consults from friends and experts and experienced riders and a few test rides on bikes I pulled the trigger on the Neuvation. Having done several startups in my career, John Neugent's story is just so compelling. I read a few reports here and 'asked around' the cycling community and it is pretty clear he is the real deal.

It arrived on Thursday and I've been on 2 rides so far. Since I don't know, what I don't know my road report is worth next to nothing to you experienced riders but I have to say that the quality is just terrific. And the ride feels great - very very responsive, climbs like a demon and quite stiff especially compared to other bikes I have ridden (all more than 1.5x the price of this bike).

The 2 rides I've been on so far are pretty dramatic hills with over 1100 feet of climb in 7 miles. Needless to say that the bike is not the issue but the engine needs a fair bit of work.

John and Nevin are terrific to work with on the whole process and being a noob returning to the sport I couldn't be happier.

Mine is the FC100 with full SRAM Force. 50/34 up front and 11-28 in the rear. I also, got the upgraded Easton EC90 SL fork

Here are some photos.

Last edited by brandtw; 06-19-2010 at 09:24 AM.

A wheelist
    Congrats on the bike. It looks great. I hope you keep at it. The stem looks like it's on ****** though and I won't let you off with the "old age" excuse. I've got 11 years on you and at the start of this year my stem was flipped up and 100mm long. With the help of my wonderful physiotherapist I'm now on a 130mm stem, flipped down (level) and some spacers removed. That lowered my head a whole lot, allowing me to use more glute power which both make me faster.

Congats on that 50/34 compact crankset too. It's silly gutting it out on a studly 52/39, especially at our age.
    Last edited by Mike T.; 07-03-2010 at 12:10 PM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Thanks Mike - Yeah - I noticed that too... If I flip it however I think it might be too low. It seems high when riding as well. Should I flip it or just get a flatter one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Very nice! I bought the f-100 about a year and a half ago like it just ordered lighter wheels for it I also ride my old Bd bike I also am using a high stem,at 62 I dont care about speed or looks much just want to feel good at the end of 50 miles.Drooling over the new FC 500 may pull the trigger this year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtw
    Thanks Mike - Yeah - I noticed that too... If I flip it however I think it might be too low. It seems high when riding as well. Should I flip it or just get a flatter one?
    Firstly, nice ride

Secondly, flip the stem to see what happens. Hate it? Then get another one, although that one appears to have little angle to begin with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I flipped it and now it's level - I think it feels a bit better, too. Full test later on my ride.

A wheelist
    Much better now it's off the ******. Try turning your bars up a bit maybe - try pointing the bar ends at the mid point between brake bridge and rear dropout and see how you like those hoods. I couldn't ride in my current low position last year but my Physio (bless her heart) had me doing a ride per week devoted to drills to adapt to the new low position and now if I sit upright I feel like Pop riding thru the park. My head's about 5" lower.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats!
    I think the Neuvation bicycles are a very nice value.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Looks great. I have been very interested in their bikes except for one thing. I know this shouldn't matter, but that dimpled/crinkled look on the top tube and down tube grates on me every time I see it. Maybe I would get used to it, in the pictures it looks ugly. It's a beautiful bike with that one flaw that makes it look like it's been in an accident or chomped in a vice. Am I crazy? Is it not as bad when you see it in person?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I actually like it squashed tube look. It's pretty beefy especially the down tube so it doesn't like like a crimped tube at all. The pictures really don't do it justice. The quality is exceptional and the finish is really nice. I love the look of unpainted carbon fiber and you get lots of that. It has a very traditional look. I have about 90 miles on the bike so far in the week I've had it and I really like it. The frame is terrific and the SRAM Force is just killer good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    FC100 with full Red = $2249. I'd like to ride one of these. At that price, it's tempting so long as the frame is good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I actually like it squashed tube look. It's pretty beefy especially the down tube so it doesn't like like a crimped tube at all. The pictures really don't do it justice. The quality is exceptional and the finish is really nice. I love the look of unpainted carbon fiber and you get lots of that. It has a very traditional look. I have about 90 miles on the bike so far in the week I've had it and I really like it. The frame is terrific and the SRAM Force is just killer good.
    To each his own. It would be one thing if it were just ovalized, that's fine, but it seems pinched on top and bottom. I want SO BADLY to like these bikes, they would be such great values, but the OCD side of me just can't get over those crinkled tubes. I'm glad others like it though, wish them great success.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Wow, that is much better with the stem evened out, the ****** must have worn off. I see it took you a week to correct it, at least that is the time frame between your two posts. You know the commercial says that if it lasts for more than 6 hours you should consult your doctor.... just a suggestion

Seriously though, I think this is one of the nicer Neuvation setups that I've seen. The white tape and saddle, the force group, and the white bike bag really looks sharp.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Weav
    Wow, that is much better with the stem evened out, the ****** must have worn off.
    All kidding aside it seems to me that the choice of stem should be a function of what is most comfortable. Some people can handle a good amount of drop, some people want handlebars close to the level of the saddle. I myself am very tall but still bought a bike that was too big for me. I had to get a much smaller stem (80 mm), which made my lower back pain go away but my drop was over 4 inches, with the 10 degree stem turned up. I just bought a stem that would make the ****** jokes truly justified, 35 degrees and 120 mm! It looks funny, but feels much more comfortable on the hands, neck, and shoulders.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleric1234
    I just bought a stem that would make the ****** jokes truly justified, 35 degrees and 120 mm!
    That sounds like the Errol Flynn Junior model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Weav
    Wow, that is much better with the stem evened out, the ****** must have worn off. I see it took you a week to correct it, at least that is the time frame between your two posts. You know the commercial says that if it lasts for more than 6 hours you should consult your doctor.... just a suggestion

Seriously though, I think this is one of the nicer Neuvation setups that I've seen. The white tape and saddle, the force group, and the white bike bag really looks sharp.
    I've had the bike for 2 weeks now and have ridden 8 times - the longest was 28 miles (average ride is around 20 miles) and I have to say that I am very impressed. Remember I am a new returnee to cycling but the saddle, frame and ride are very comfortable and aside from my legs, this thing transfers power very quickly and evenly. I live on the east side of the Berkeley hills and it's hard to go anywhere without a climb and the bike performs really well. Downhills are controlled and comfortable - the fastest I've been is 38 mph on a long descend and everything seemed pretty tight and responsive. All in all this bicycle is everything I wanted returning to the sport. The Force group is really easy and simple and shifts are so fast and crisp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    I've had the bike for 2 weeks now and have ridden 8 times - the longest was 28 miles (average ride is around 20 miles) and I have to say that I am very impressed. Remember I am a new returnee to cycling but the saddle, frame and ride are very comfortable and aside from my legs, this thing transfers power very quickly and evenly. I live on the east side of the Berkeley hills and it's hard to go anywhere without a climb and the bike performs really well. Downhills are controlled and comfortable - the fastest I've been is 38 mph on a long descend and everything seemed pretty tight and responsive. All in all this bicycle is everything I wanted returning to the sport. The Force group is really easy and simple and shifts are so fast and crisp.
    As long as you are comfortable, I would not worry about the stem angle "look". Flip it to how YOU want it. If anything, those bikes have fairly short head tubes so use spacers or stem angle to get the bars where you want them and enjoy!

Pathlete and Pedalphile

New bike to me: Neuvation FC100

A couple pics of my recently purchased FC100.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New bike to me:  Neuvation FC100-sscn0004.jpg   New bike to me:  Neuvation FC100-sscn0005.jpg