Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aellis28 View Post
    So do you make sure your fancy can do everything (i.e., have the tire clearance and rack mounts for gravel / bikepacking) or do you have it just go fast? That's 1/2 of my dilemma at this point that I can't figure out what's best.

1/2 of me wants the Canyon CF SLX 8.0 Disc Di2 and the other 1/2 of me wants a combination of the Jamis Renegade Elite, Orbea Terra, Parlee Chebacco, or Open U.P.

That is honestly my biggest hurdle at this point.
    Decisions, decisions. Have you test ridden all these bikes? If so, which one did you like the feel of best? Which one fit you best? To put it another way, which one do you think will make you want to ride more?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    ^ What he said, aellis28.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Decisions, decisions. Have you test ridden all these bikes?
    This is the issue I'm running into. I live in the Chicagoland area, and none of these bikes other than the Renegade are available to test ride. The Canyon is direct to consumer only and I've reached out to see if there is any way to look / ride one and they said no. My local Orbea dealers can only order them, they have none in stock, same with Parlee and Open. I wish they had a bike show (similar to an autoshow) in the area every once in a while!

RoadBikeReview Member
    choose to get the fastest bike that ticks most of your boxes (Canyon?), touring a couple of times a year shouldn't be a main factor, IMHO. Or go custom, talk to a builder and tell them what you want and they will build it for you. That's what I did. Got a very nice titanium bike 10 years ago that has been raced off road, ridden 250 miles non stop, (okay food and dumps excluded), and even been overnight camping. I will never sell it but I am looking at upgrading the drive train, again. Might go back to single speed for the spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    While I think "gravel bike" is a silly category (CX bike anyone???). What about...

3T Exploro???
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldChipper View Post
    While I think "gravel bike" is a silly category (CX bike anyone???). What about...

3T Exploro???
    CX bikes ride and handle differently as they are designed to be swift handling at low speeds with high crank clearance. Being able to accept the same tires as a gravel bike doesn't make them the same any more than it makes a hybrid a CX bike.

Of course you can use them in similar roles - but you can use a MTB for all those roles as well.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    CX bikes ride and handle differently as they are designed to be swift handling at low speeds with high crank clearance. Being able to accept the same tires as a gravel bike doesn't make them the same any more than it makes a hybrid a CX bike.
    This.

A gravel bike has a more relaxed geometry than a CX bike. A CX bike is for racing. A gravel bike is for fun.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Sure. Let's have some more micro-application-targeted bike categories. N+1 afterall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sure. Let's have some more micro-application-targeted bike categories. N+1 afterall.
    So what you're saying is that a touring bike is really also just a CX bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    You realize you’re making my point for me, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004

Guys, guys, settle down. It's not like the folks here invented these terms and sub categories of bikes. They are essentially correct that what we call gravel bikes, are a variation on a cyclo-cross bike, in this case maybe not designed for racing. Nobody's in-correct in defining mt. bikes as Freeride, All Mountain, Downhill, Cross Country, etc.... all just sub categories to better define intended use. We've always been OK defining road racing bikes as Criterium or Stage Race even though those terms have now fallen by the wayside it seems.

RoadBikeReview Member

I don't see how. If you were used to a CX bike for CX and put your tires on a touring bike for CX you would be disappointed. You would also be disappointed if you mounted racks on the CX bike and tried to tour with it.

You appear to be equivocating different bike types by the type of tires or brakes they have, rather than what they are designed to do and the frame geometry necessary to do that. There is always going to be considerable overlap between all bikes - you can race a criterium with a fat bike if you want, or take your Madone off road. But both would illustrate why we have different bikes for different things. Sometimes those differences are a little smaller, but that doesn't devalue the differences.

Gravel bikes are newer and still being figured out, but they aren't CX bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    only you can say if etap or di2 is worth it, but money spent on a fancier group set means less for wheels and a frame. personally i'd go mechanical ultegra and save money for nicer wheels and a better frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well of course. But to be perfectly honest with you, I would rather give up my other 6 bikes in order to keep my gravel bike.

-- Warren Buffett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12