View Poll Results: For $700ish, which bike is better?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2010 Schwinn Le Tour Legacy

6 66.67%
  • 2011 Trek 1.1

3 33.33%
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

New Bike Polling - Schwinn vs. Trek

OK, so I'm an old guy getting back into riding. My budget is $700. I've had quite a few road bikes over the years, and have always preferred steel. That said, I'm not opposed to something in aluminum, provided it doesn't rattle my teeth! I would go with something used but, quite frankly, it's a hassle finding anything decent and\or having to deal with yahoo's!

So, I have narrowed it down to these two new bikes, both quite different. The first option is the 2010 Schwinn Le Tour Legacy at Bikesdirect.com (http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderp...ail?gfid=12933) for $699.95. The second option is the 2011 Trek 1.1 (http://trekbicyclesuperstore.com/pro....1-73923-1.htm) for $717.74 locally (incl. sales tax). The two biggest differences are:

1.) I suspect the steel Scwhinn will ride considerably smoother than the aluminum Trek, but I suspect the Trek will handle more crisply. I'm just not sure that crispness is worth a loss in ride comfort. Or, maybe I'm all wrong........maybe Trek's "superior" engineering results in a comfortable aluminum ride. I typically ride around 25-30 miles fairly hard (for me), but I place a lot of importance on comfort. I also suspect the Schwinn will weigh a few pounds more than the Trek, but I'm really not sure it's going to matter all that much for a guy like me.

2.) I am definitely drawn to the 105 on the Schwinn, but the Trek has a certain appeal also due to it's brand name recognition and associated resale value (should I be unhappy with it).

So, which would you choose?
    Last edited by beeminbobby; 07-11-2011 at 12:52 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006

Unhappy I'm a little surprised......

I'm surprised that out of 108 views as of today that only two people have voted. I guess I need to present more interesting choices in the future.

Fecal indicator
    hmmm, it's hard for some of us to get too excited over entry-level bikes, but I'll take a stab at it.

regardless of which you buy, resale is not going to be all that great...put 100 miles on either and you'd probably be lucky to get half your money back. maybe less than that...

as far as rep, Schwinn lost its prestige a long while ago, and Trek is the bike equivalent of GM.

all things considered...even tho I'm not a fan of Al frame bikes, I'd go with the Trek as it's a double and the Schwinn is a triple.

but, even if it is a hassle, in your price range, I'd look for something used.
    eff all y'all...

Mehpic
    have you considered felt? the Z100 and F95 are both in that price range. the only difference is the frame geometry- the Z is a little more relaxed and the F bikes are more aggressive. find a felt dealer and go for a test ride!

one nice part- if the shop only has a z85 in stock, you can still at least size yourself to the bike. all of the alu z frames (double/triple digit) are the same.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    I own a high-end steel Schwinn, and two aluminum Treks--one high-end and one low-end.

Both high-end bikes ride like high-end bikes. The low-end Trek rides like a low-end bike.

I suspect a low-end steel Schwinn will also ride like a low-end bike, however it will be mitigated somewhat by the 28mm tires.

It's a shame you can't test ride both.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    I own a high-end steel Schwinn, and two aluminum Treks--one high-end and one low-end.

Both high-end bikes ride like high-end bikes. The low-end Trek rides like a low-end bike.

I suspect a low-end steel Schwinn will also ride like a low-end bike, however it will be mitigated somewhat by the 28mm tires.

It's a shame you can't test ride both.
    So, would you rather ride the low-end Trek or the "low-end" Schwinn?

* I'm not sure anyone would consider the 105 on the Schwinn low-end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here's the thing: you can't know until you ride it.

Years ago I had my mind set on a trek madone. All the reviews said it was perfect, yada yada yada. I hopped on it at the bike store almost as a formality- As I said, all my research said it was the perfect bike for me. I loved the USPS paint and I was ready to buy it right then and there.

I hated it. I rode it longer. Hated it. The geometry was not right. Everything felt wrong. It was the right size, the stem was the right length, the saddle was adjusted properly and I hated it.

Ended up getting an aluminum Giant TCR. In Team Once colors. It just felt better. I don't know why- you'd never think that a half a degree here or there or an extra cm of BB drop would really matter, both bikes were production models of actual race bikes and yet they rode completely differently.

If it was me and I was looking for what is basically a first bike, I'd test ride as many as I could find in my price range. I'd ignore the reviews- find the one that fits you best.

If you find one that really sings, check the review to see if there are any consistent issues with the wheels or tires or whatever and then buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by beeminbobby View Post
    So, would you rather ride the low-end Trek or the "low-end" Schwinn?

* I'm not sure anyone would consider the 105 on the Schwinn low-end.
    No, I was discussing frames not drivetrains. While Reynolds 520 is better than most at that price point, it's still a long way from the high-end steels.

IMHO, Shimano's drivetrains are all decent. I own bikes with Sora, 105, Ultegra and Dura-Ace. The Sora bike shifts just as well as the others, although the D-A is a bit more forgiving of operator error.

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    I would get the Schwinn for the components. Unless it's a mail order thing and you don't know how your mechanical basics.

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotophage View Post
    If it was me and I was looking for what is basically a first bike, I'd test ride as many as I could find in my price range. I'd ignore the reviews- find the one that fits you best.

If you find one that really sings, check the review to see if there are any consistent issues with the wheels or tires or whatever and then buy it.
    The man speaks the truth.

Rep power added..

Just Plain Bitter
    I would buy the one that fit me best after test riding it more than just around the parking lot. Neither of those bikes ring my bells so it is hard for me to vote in your poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now