RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

New bike for recycled cyclist

51yo male, 6'1" 220lbs. Rode consistently 100-150mi/wk for several years, 15 years ago, gave it up, riding perhaps 250mi/season for last 10years. Gained 45lbs....
    Back into riding this year, about 400mi over 2 months.

1993 Trek 5200, is very tired at this point. Instead of replacing components and wheels, decided to buy new bike: 2013 Trek Domane 5.2. Bike comes with Botanger Race wheels (18radial front, 24 2x rear).

Should i upgrade the wheels on buying the bike (LBS will only give me $250 credit), and if so to what wheel? I have no race aspirations but would like to hold my own in club ride, some pounds from now... I don't have time or interest to be truing the wheels other perhaps once a season.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Those Bontrager Race wheels should be fine for awhile. No problems with them so far on my Madone.

Caveat---I'm 60 lbs lighter than you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    At this point in your return to cycling, I think the Bontrager Race's will be fine for you (as in, they won't hold you back).

A wheel upgrade would make a difference when you start riding very aggressively, including hills and sprints and high speed corners ... and all of a sudden a few seconds count.

At that point, I would consider one of the new 23mm rim offerings (Pacenti, BHS472, Velocity A23, HED C2), paired with some Shimano Dura Ace or Ultegra hubs, and Sapim spokes. You'll want at least 28 spokes at your weight, and 32 would be even better.

Have a local builder lace them up for you and include a service contract for a year or so, and that way you can get them serviced free locally and not have to worry about shipping costs and down time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I'm kind of in the same position. I've decided that when I loose the weight that I want I'll get a new set of wheels then. Sort of like a prize.

For the time being I'm putting in the miles and beating up my current wheels.

2013 Felt Z5 all stock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I was going to say 'keep the wheels, as you can sell them yourself in a year if you want and probably get more than $250 for them', but looking on ebay (Bontrager Race Wheelset | eBay) I don't know if you can get more. The bike shop don't appear to be low balling you too much.

I don't think many people regret getting a set of custom wheels based around 32 spoke ultegra or similar hubs and something like a Mavic Open Pro rim. They come in comparable in weight to entry level Ksyriums/Askims or there abouts, but just last and last. However, proprietary wheels like Bontragers, Ksyriums, Shimanos etc do seem to be more of a mixed bag in reviews.

-Chris

NB: I've had 105 with Mavic CXP21 then Ultegra with Mavic Open Sport and now I have ultegra with Open Pro (selling to a buddy when I see him in June), Chris King with Open Pro and Ksyrium SL. I've never had problems with any wheels, and have only changed wheels when I've sold them to the same friend for one reason or another.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Thank you all for the responses. I decided to stick with the stock Botranger Race wheels and see how it goes. If they go out of true frequently, I then get a 2nd set of Ultegrate Open Pro kinda-thing.

Two rides since getting bike yesterday, 30mi and 25mi which are fairly long for me right now, they remain perfectly true.

Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    What you may see is the wheel failing with a spoke pulling through the hub in the rear. Fronts should generally be ok. I would then just replace the rear wheel.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    A belated thank you to those who responded. Here's an update:

I decided to stick with botranger Race wheels and R3 tires.
    I've got about 600mi on them and bike in 2 months.
    So far no real problems, although the rear wheel is no longer as perfectly true and as the front.

Love the bike, markedly more comfortable. Still experimenting with saddles, been through a few down to either Specialized Roman 142mm or my 20yo Avocet O2. Like the latter for comfort, the former for lack of numbness.

Fitness is up but unfortunately weight is pretty much unchanged. Just moved to doing 40mi rides instead of 20... see if that helps with weight loss.

John

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Bike for fitness eat less for weight loss.