RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

New Endurance Bike Build, what do you reccomend?

I am a rider who usually gets a new road bike every three years. I ride about 4-5K per year in the Missouri Ozarks with some hills. I like new technology of bikes and enjoy the new ideas that come on the newer bikes. I am an older guy (58) and do a little senior racing and mostly group riding. Not real small (6' 185 lbs) and do enjoy a a more up right rides but also like to go fast. I presently am running a 2014 Giant defy O with Ultegra DI-2 with some upgrade Reynolds 46 carbon wheels. Looking for a similar endurance geometry CF light bike to build up for the next season. I am an engineer and and do all of my own maintenance so probably looking for a new frame that I plan on getting the new Shimano DI-2 R8070 groupset on.

So looking for some suggestions for frames of this type. Would mind going a little lighter so maybe a Hi mod type of frame to pull the weight down.

So far have been looking at 1)Trek Domane SL or SLR; 2) Giant Defy Pro Or Pro SL; 3) Cannondale Synapse Hi-Mod. Any body have any thought about these our others? I like to buy this time of the year as you can normally get pretty good deals on bikes and frames this time of the year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Iím in process of working out the details on an order for a Domane SLR project one. Iím 50 and was looking for something endurance like you. Thatís the direction Iíll be going. I think the iso speed is compelling and look forward to giving it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I ride a Domane SL. Itís lived up to all my expectations re comfort, performance, etc.

I must say, though, at 19 lbs (54cm, discs, Ultegra mech) itís not light weight. That includes Vision Metron 40 cf wheels. Having said that, it was lighter than those other choices in stock factory-built trim.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If it is "good deals on leftovers" you are looking for, you will be limited in choices.

All the bikes you list are good bikes. Ride them all and buy the one that you like the feel and ride of best and that fits you best.

Also, what is it you are looking for in a new bike that your "older" bike doesn't have? Or do you just get the new bike bug every 3 years?
    ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    I ride a Domane SL. Itís lived up to all my expectations re comfort, performance, etc.

I must say, though, at 19 lbs (54cm, discs, Ultegra mech) itís not light weight. That includes Vision Metron 40 cf wheels. Having said that, it was lighter than those other choices in stock factory-built trim.
    19 lbs seems about right that those specs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Since you work on your own bikes, consider adding the Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 to your list.

It's got the new 8070 di2 hydro, all the newest hydro flat-mount disc brake specs (including thru axles), comes with a nice wheelset, and weighs a titch under 17 lbs.

For $3499, you are NOT going to beat it on value for what you get.

I just bought the entry level endurace bike (105 spec) and so far I've been really impressed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fronesis View Post
    Since you work on your own bikes, consider adding the Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2 to your list.

It's got the new 8070 di2 hydro, all the newest hydro flat-mount disc brake specs (including thru axles), comes with a nice wheelset, and weighs a titch under 17 lbs.

For $3499, you are NOT going to beat it on value for what you get.

I just bought the entry level endurace bike (105 spec) and so far I've been really impressed.
    I d like to consider the canyon, but it is not available at the present time. Canyon only has a few models and sizes available, and they are not sure when other models will be available.I noticed them very early on in my search, and they represent a great value, but unfortunatley you cant get most of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmen View Post
    I d like to consider the canyon, but it is not available at the present time. Canyon only has a few models and sizes available, and they are not sure when other models will be available.I noticed them very early on in my search, and they represent a great value, but unfortunatley you cant get most of them.
    Ah, what you say was true a month ago, but not now. Currently Canyon has every version of the Endurace available except for the CF SL Disc 8.0 Di2. So they have all the mechanical bikes available, and they have the Di2 bike in the SLX version. If you want Di2 and you can't wait, then you'd need to get the higher end Canyon or look elsewhere.

I've the bikes you listed, I like the Giant. But that's not based on riding one, just on perusing specs and reviews online.

coaster
    Does the Emonda Disc clear 28mm tires? With H2 geometry is it lacking anything as an "endurance" platform? It's pretty comfortable, right? I'm thinking if you don't need something aimed at cobbles and really bad pavement why not just do a typical light road bike build with a higher handlebar and maybe wider tires. Once you go to the Roubaix, Domane, Defy it seems like you pick up an extra pound+ for a little more "vertical compliance" and a slacker head angle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I have spent time on the Domane and the Synapse. No experience on the others.
    If the roads are smooth, both nice.
    If the road have poor surface the bikes are worlds different.
    Either one may work for you but suggest renting each for a day to see.
    BTW the Synapse does not like rough roads. Yes, same tire sizes and pressures to start. Kept lowering on Synapse to get some relief. Helped somewhat.
    One not better or worse, just very different. I know folks with each that are happy.
    Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Well Op here, I made my decision when I found a very nice new 2017 Old stock Giant defy Advanced 0 for sale on line at a bargain price of 42% off of MSRP. Its got almost everything I wanted. It has Shimano Ultegra DI-2 all around (although the 6870 version), carbon wheels set up tubeless, hydraulic disc brakes, never been owned and all this with a factory warrentee from giant (i am buying it from an authorized dealer). It weighs in at 17lbs which is respectably light. The stack and reach are perfect. All this for just $2850 delivered to my door. I couldn't pass it up. I had some other options but they were all higher and didnt have the features i wanted and weren't new. I figure I can ride it a year and sell it and get mt money back if I want to upgrade again.

I really like buying new year old stock for bargain prices. Im able to ride a great new bike for very economical price.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and advice.
    Last edited by jackmen; 01-03-2018 at 07:56 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmen View Post
    Well Op here, I made my decision when I found a very nice new 2017 Old stock Giant defy Advanced 0 for sale on line at a bargain price of 42% off of MSRP. Its got almost everything I wanted. It has Shimano Ultegra DI-2 all around (although the 6870 version), carbon wheels set up tubeless, hydraulic disc brakes, never been owned and all this with a factory warrentee from giant (i am buying it from an authorized dealer). It weighs in at 17lbs which is respectably light. The stack and reach are perfect. All this for just $2850 delivered to my door. I couldn't pass it up. I had some other options but they were all higher and didnt have the features i wanted and weren't new. I figure I can ride it a year and sell it and get mt money back if I want to upgrade again.

I really like buying new year old stock for bargain prices. Im able to ride a great new bike for very economical price.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and advice.
    Wow! Great find! Congrats, and many happy miles to you!
    ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    So what is the difference from your old to new bike? It's clean?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Does the Emonda Disc clear 28mm tires? With H2 geometry is it lacking anything as an "endurance" platform? It's pretty comfortable, right? I'm thinking if you don't need something aimed at cobbles and really bad pavement why not just do a typical light road bike build with a higher handlebar and maybe wider tires. Once you go to the Roubaix, Domane, Defy it seems like you pick up an extra pound+ for a little more "vertical compliance" and a slacker head angle.

I have an Emonda w H2 and a Synapse. I like the Edmonds more just because it has a sportier ride with the comfort of the Synapse. It does fit 28mm tires. Good luck.

Neophyte
    Since they have discontinued it, you might find a great deal on a Scott Solace frame. Owners of it seemed to give it high praise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    New defy has hydraulic disc brakes, and a brad new drive train of which mine was showing some signs of wear after 13000 + miles. It also has a greater tolerance for wider tires of which I plan on running 28's tubeless. When I buy new old stock at these type of prices I can actually ride bikes very economically even if I trade every year. I figure on the new defy I can ride it a year, and sell it for nearly what I paid for it. I buy in off season and sell in season and it helps me keep annual cost down. Who doesn't want to ride a newer bike if you can for very little out of pocket cost?