Thread: New Fork

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

New Fork

I've got a 2003 Trek 5500 that I'm still riding. I was wondering if changing the Bontrager Race Lite fork for a much lighter one like the Enve or Ritchey would make much difference. I believe the Bontrager is 520 grams and the others are around the 350 range, and I assume stiffer as well. Has anyone else done a similar change out there?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    If your looking at Enve you are not afraid to pay the bill. Check Parlee too. I have a KISH Ti frame in production. I went Parlee over Enve. Allows me a 40 front tire with a 160 disk.

More to ponder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think it is money well spent. The Bontrager is 520g uncut, your's is probably lighter than that. Plus, it is painted to match your frame already.

Unless you are having some real issue with handling, having a compliant fork is a good thing because it absorbs bumps. One of the best things about carbon forks over the steel forks they replaced is their more comfortable ride. Stiffer does not always = better.

Save your pennies for a few frameset, wheels or new bike. I don't think you'll feel the benefit of that sort of expenditure to shave 4 ounces.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can I ask what your objective is in this "upgrade"?

If it is speed, you won't notice the difference of 170g unless (possibly, but unlikely) you are a competitive racer and an average speed increase of 0.01 mph makes the difference between winning and losing.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger