Domokun!

New fork to stiffen up the front end?

Currently ride a Ritchey road logic in a 56. The current front end is the all carbon Ritchey fork, Ritchey Streem bars(44), Ritchey 260 stem 110mm.

I'm thinking of switching to an Enve 2.0 in hopes of stiffening up the front end.

The front end of my Fuji Altamira Geox has the same geometrey as the Ritchey, however the Fuji has a tapered HT.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?
    " The ability to purchase an expensive bicycle does not make you a cyclist! "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    short answer: you're crazy

long answer: you're crazy, don't do it.

I'm not sure why a lot of people think the Enve 2.0 is the go-to fork whenever they "think" they need a stiffer front end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    short answer: you're crazy

long answer: you're crazy, don't do it.
    I agree.

When steel frames dominated the market, nobody complained of wimpy front ends.

When carbon forks and frames were introduced to the market, one of claimed benefits was a "stiffer than steel" front end. Who knew I needed a stiffer front end?

Now people are looking for a stiffer front end because the carbon front end that is stiffer than the steel front end isn't stiff enough.

Stiffness is overrated. Don't swallow the Kool-Aid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolFatGuy View Post
    Currently ride a Ritchey road logic in a 56. The current front end is the all carbon Ritchey fork, Ritchey Streem bars(44), Ritchey 260 stem 110mm.

I'm thinking of switching to an Enve 2.0 in hopes of stiffening up the front end.

The front end of my Fuji Altamira Geox has the same geometrey as the Ritchey, however the Fuji has a tapered HT.

Thoughts? Am I crazy?
    Yes. Go with a CRMO fork. If you want it stiffer, chrome it. A good lugged steel fork with a semi sloping lugged crown will feel plenty stiff. It'll also give a better road feel, complimenting the stiffness. It'll also feel right with a steel frame. It'll make the whole bike ride better as an integrated unit. Carbon forks are all too soft for steel frames, IMO. Steel gives a lively ride. Dampening the front end takes all that away.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I agree.

When steel frames dominated the market, nobody complained of wimpy front ends.

When carbon forks and frames were introduced to the market, one of claimed benefits was a "stiffer than steel" front end. Who knew I needed a stiffer front end?

Now people are looking for a stiffer front end because the carbon front end that is stiffer than the steel front end isn't stiff enough.

Stiffness is overrated. Don't swallow the Kool-Aid.
    I suppose if someone's goal is to minimize comfort and road feel ulta stiff has it's benefits but otherwise totally 100% agree.

I recently got a ti bike that's not all that stiff and my previous bike was a carbon wonder bike touted for being really stiff blah blah. The difference is the Ti bike is more comfortable and sticks to the road (as opposed to bouncing over rough road).

As said, don't drink the kool aid.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    I put one of those enve 2.0 forks on the front of my modern steel road bike when i crashed and damaged the original. It's better under braking and turns in more precisely- i like it a lot more, it is simply better. Comfort is the same because comfort comes from tires and fit.

I don't think i'd drop 400$ as an 'upgrade' though. Just get a good QR like an ultegra and clamp it tight. So many more rewarding things to spend that money on.

I'm a tall clydesdale.
    Last edited by bubble; 02-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    The Ritchey Road Logic is a great bike. Why would you want to mess with it's excellent ride characteristics? I would not change anything. Sometimes change is not for the better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Why do you think you need a stiffer front? Are you losing races due to flex or are you an extra strong dude? I found the best thing I did to my bike to firm up the front was switch to Deda M35 bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    Why do you think you need a stiffer front? Are you losing races due to flex or are you an extra strong dude? I found the best thing I did to my bike to firm up the front was switch to Deda M35 bars.
    Yep, the thicker tops give nice control, right? Handlebars are the levers that keep the bike going where you want it. If they flex, control softens up.

Ahem, that was the noticeable advantage of Cinelli aluminum bars back in the day. They were a mm or so fatter than everybody else's.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 03-02-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Domokun!
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I ended up switching the bar/stem combo from one bike to the other. Problem solved.
    " The ability to purchase an expensive bicycle does not make you a cyclist! "