RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

New Frame Options ~$500

Hello all!

After a long period of non-riding due to life circumstances I am getting back in the saddle, and would like to acquire a road frame that fits me better. I am looking to spend around $500, I would prefer a new product but am not opposed to used if its in great condition. I am open to a variety of frame styles, just looking to know where I might start shopping with this sort of budget. I am not very interested in older/vintage frames as I would like to just transfer all my components.

Thanks for all your help!

Cheers

CX'er
    surly, all-city, and soma fabrications come to mind in that price range. Each have a road offering or two; all are steel frames. The all-city mr pink is one that I've always fancied but it's hard for me to go that route since I already have a carbon bike that can take up to 28mm tires and rides really well in races and training.

I think masi might be selling some frames now too.

Most larger manufacturers only sell their higher end framesets so you're likely going to have to go used for something from a bigger brand in your price range.

Chinese frames are an option but I don't know much about them other than I know people ride them and you get a lot of variation of opinion, same with bikesdirect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    what are you on now? When you say "fit better" what doesn't fit so good now? Often the thing to do is compare what isn'T making you happen on your present frame and use that as a baseline. Oh and welcome back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Right now I'm riding on a 54cm aluminum Motobecane frame that came off a BikesDirect bike. I like the geometry, but it's just slightly too large - I have shorter legs for my height. This is the bike the frame came from -

Motobecane USA | Aluminum+ Bicycles | Track Bicycles | Cross Bicycles

Based on trying some other bikes with similar geometry I would be better suited with something in the 52cm variety.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nashbar Carbon Road Frame and Fork

springs to mind but I would spend a hundred dollars or so on a good professional bike fit with your current bike and see if that can be made to fit. If it can't you then know how you should set up your new frame. A new frame won't do much if it doesn't fit. Fit is everything!