Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

New Gunnar Roadie

Here are some pics of my new Gunnar roadie. I swapped parts over from my 2009 Trek 1.5. I won't get to ride it outside for another month or two, but it will see some trainer time in the meantime.

Excuse the red rear tire (trainer tire).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Nice build! I'm planning a Roadie SRAM Force build very soon. I'll likely go for the same silver frame, too.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nice bike. I cant afford a Gunnar so I will just keep my Soma (same geometry) and dream.

Beautiful.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    nice! you'll love it! i sure as hell love mine

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Nice solid build! Be interesting to hear your thoughts on the steel ride after riding the alum Trek.

The Gunnar has better tire clearance compared to the Trek, mount at least 25c tires on their and should make for smooth ride combined with the steel.

Ritchey forks are solid, good choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My main motivation for buying the frame was the ride quality. I had 25mm tires on the trek as well, kind of a must for me @230lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oh I know I really like my Roadie. Bet you will be happy with yours. What frame size is that? Looks taller than mine (56 cm).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nice color. Here's my '01 Crosshairs, also leaning against a wall.

Dave
    Blog / Strava

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by esldude View Post
    Oh I know I really like my Roadie. Bet you will be happy with yours. What frame size is that? Looks taller than mine (56 cm).
    It's a 60.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I like the red accents. I think you will be very pleased with the way it rides. Welcome to the club!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I switched from a Giant aluminum to a Gunnar Roadie 10 years ago. Rode it for 5 years and then got sucked into "new" technology with aluminum/carbon rear, carbon and titanium but came back to Gunnar. Their geometry suits me. Quality construction and Made in the USA.

I'm glad I paid the extra for the Gunnar. Soma makes some good stuff but I do take pride in fact some guy/gal in WI made my frame.

Your set up looks great. Maybe you will get a warm day soon so you can get it on the tarmac.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's up with all of the silver Gunnars? I never would have leaned towards silver until this posting. They all look great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I probably would have gone with white if it was a standard color. I had the red accent pieces already, (housings, bar tape, bottle cages, etc.) and didn't want to change all that. I like red accents.

I thought about the english blue color of the year, but would have had to spend more $ as i don't think the red would go well with that scheme.

BTW, i was able to cross my derailleur cables under the down tube. The housings don't rub on the head tube now with the bar turned straight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Can you fit 25mm tires on that Easton EC 90 fork? I have the EC70 fork on my Lynskey and 25mm Bonty tires are so tight. I see some rubbing on the clear coat in the fork. Not good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    That's a great bike. I think you'll love it. I've had 2. #1 was crushed by an SUV, but I've managed to miss them on #2. My first was silver and I thought it was a great. Here's a picture of #2.

New Gunnar Roadie-dsc00896.jpg
    Seven Elium Race, Gunnar Roadie, Surly LHT, Gary Fisher Genesis 2,
    Miyata 610, Gunnar Sport

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keeping in the Gunnar theme, here's my non-silver Sport, which I just tore down tonight for a complete cleaning. Had it for 8 years now, love it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Gunnar Roadie-img_0059.jpg  

T K
    wasssabi
    Love those Gunnars guys! Keep em comming.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    I had one of those for a while. I like the company, and the philosophy behind it: build a good bike, with good tubes. I would buy another one in a heartbeat - love that silver fade paint job...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Gunnar Roadie-img_1334.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Great Roadies.

My first roadie shown below had an unfortunate accident car rack vs garage roof. Great bike. RIP

After getting a professional fitting, my second Roadie (2011) has custom geometry. I sent in my fork (Easton EC90SLX) to be painted with the frame.

T K
    wasssabi
    I have a question for you Gunnar guys. How are they going fast down hill. I like to push myself and bike while descending.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    I have a question for you Gunnar guys. How are they going fast down hill. I like to push myself and bike while descending.
    They are fine. Fork selection matters, since the Roadie runs a slightly steep head tube.

Stick with something like Enve, 3T, or similar with the correct offset/trail numbers, and the bike performs.

Like any bike, put the wrong fork on it, and you will notice it.

T K
    wasssabi
    I have a 3T fork, but was concerned about front end frame flex. That wondering front end in fast corners is not fun. At 185 I'm no featherweight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Great pictures! I've been looking at the Roadie all winter and I'm finally close to putting in an order for mine.

DrMayer - what height are you that puts you on a 60cm? That's usually the size I end up with but I haven't yet ridden a bike with quite this geometry.

Another question - anyone ever put a rear rack on a Roadie? I may slightly customize my frame with braze-ons on the seat stays, then load up 20-30 lbs for a short tour. Anyone have success with that? Or perhaps strongly recommend against it for any reason?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by david.dean View Post
    Great pictures! I've been looking at the Roadie all winter and I'm finally close to putting in an order for mine.

DrMayer - what height are you that puts you on a 60cm? That's usually the size I end up with but I haven't yet ridden a bike with quite this geometry.

Another question - anyone ever put a rear rack on a Roadie? I may slightly customize my frame with braze-ons on the seat stays, then load up 20-30 lbs for a short tour. Anyone have success with that? Or perhaps strongly recommend against it for any reason?
    I am 6 ft with 34.5 inch inseam, 762 mm saddle ht, and only 1.75 inch saddle to bar drop. A 58 works well for me, even at such a short drop. It allows a 110 stem at +6 degrees and Deda Zero 100 bars with about 75 or 80 reach.

My experience with the Roadie so far is 20 to 30 pounds would be too much. Maybe 10 pounds at most might be OK, including rack weight. But that is only my opinion.

Thanks.

[I'm adding an edit here as of 4/23/12. I've thought about it and have come to think 10 pounds would be on the light size for added rack weight. The Roadie has strong tubing. It may be light, but it is very strong given the double-oversized top and down tubes. I would hazard to guess a stock 58 cm Roadie is designed for body weights between 170 and 220. If one is on the lighter side of that range, then a rack can hold more before a frame begins to show indications of too much load weight. It would not be a pound for pound tradeoff, however.]
    Last edited by Slow Ride; 04-23-2012 at 01:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 6'3" I have a 90 mm stem, but will probably swap to my 100. Things otherwise are great. Got about 40 mi on now. I've had some struggles with a slipping seat post, I hope the hairspray trick works.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast