Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

New guy looking for opinions: Felt F75 v. R700

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Elfstone 
#1 ·
Hey all-

New to this forum but have been riding my Trek 1000 for the last 15 years or so and think its time to step up. I am looking to spend between $1000 to $1500. Read many good things about the Felt F75 and saw one at a local shop the other day. Went to another shop where the sales guy recommended the Cannondale R700 in that price range, above all else . The R700 is about $100 less than the Felt.

To me the R700 is a much nicer bike and is lighter too. The Felt seems more like a tool and for some reason less well made. On the other hand, the components on the Felt seem to be of a better quality, also 20 v 18 speeds with a double ring.

I wasn’t dressed to ride so I couldn’t try either but I am little torn. Anyone have any thoughts between these two?

RobertW

#2 ·
robertw said:
Hey all-

New to this forum but have been riding my Trek 1000 for the last 15 years or so and think its time to step up. I am looking to spend between $1000 to $1500. Read many good things about the Felt F75 and saw one at a local shop the other day. Went to another shop where the sales guy recommended the Cannondale R700 in that price range, above all else . The R700 is about $100 less than the Felt.

To me the R700 is a much nicer bike and is lighter too. The Felt seems more like a tool and for some reason less well made. On the other hand, the components on the Felt seem to be of a better quality, also 20 v 18 speeds with a double ring.

I wasn’t dressed to ride so I couldn’t try either but I am little torn. Anyone have any thoughts between these two?

RobertW
I too looked at both bikes just a few months ago.. The R700 is lighter and a much faster ride. Both bikes were a nice ride , but the ride was better all around on the felt. I liked the over all feel & components also better on the Felt. I traded in my Scott CR1pro on a Felt F4C...and still might replace my old Fuji with the F75.

#4 ·
It shifted smoother, took corners tighter, when you jumped on it, it held a straight line.
The brakes felt much better. And overall was a lusher ride in all. But the R700 was still very quick and fast. I like them both alot. I think they would both be great bikes. Nothing for the money comes close. Like most reviews the Felt is just all around a great bike, it seems to do everything good, not great but good, as most bikes do some things great, and are subpar on others. I really was close in buying the F75, I just jumped higher and bought the F4C.

#5 ·
I sell both at my shop, here's what I think

robertw said:
Hey all-

RobertW
The Cannondale, of course, has the CAAD8 frame which is tough to turn down. Purchasing the frame and fork alone would be substantially more than the complete R700. I'm a huge Cannondale fan, and firmly believe their CAAD8 frames are the best deal in cycling - except that Felt now comes into the picture.

The only bike I might - might - recommend over the R700 is the bike you're looking at, the F75. It's pretty widely considered the "best buy" at this level, component spec and carbon stays have a lot to do with that. I like that Felt spec'd a compact crank - something that'll be standard on most bikes in the near future. Ther compact will give you better and quieter shifting, not that the triple on the R700 is bad, but doubles are always less troublesome. It's a good frame and fork, I don't think it's quite the CAAD8, but Felt does a good job with their bikes and quality is not an issue. For simliar component spec on a CAAD8, you probably know you have to move up to the R800, at $1550.00.

I don't think you'll make a bad choice with either. It'll likely come down to fit, and you should ride both to see which one is better in the fit arena - that will help you decide.

#6 ·
Cannondale made in USA (as the 300 stickers will attest to)
Felt made in Taiwan (as the big ass sticker on the head tube will attest to)

Now that's not to say the Taiwan frame is inferior, however I went with Cannondale in 2004 when I had a similar decision to make.

What complicates things is it sounds like the felt is upgraded to 10 speed while the Cannondale is 9 speed (hope it's not Tiagra!). For that reason alone I might lean towards the Felt.

#7 ·
Einstruzende said:
Cannondale made in USA (as the 300 stickers will attest to)
Felt made in Taiwan (as the big ass sticker on the head tube will attest to)

Now that's not to say the Taiwan frame is inferior, however I went with Cannondale in 2004 when I had a similar decision to make.

What complicates things is it sounds like the felt is upgraded to 10 speed while the Cannondale is 9 speed (hope it's not Tiagra!). For that reason alone I might lean towards the Felt.
I would ride them both again, and not just straight & fast..do some turns and slow down & relax...then see what one really feels better to you..
I was talked into a Scott CR1 pro, and really never felt right on the bike. The Felt F4C feels like I have been riding it for years.

#8 ·
My Felt experiences vs. an older Cannondale

I've put a couple thousand miles or more on my Felt F55. I cannot attest to the components on the F75 in general, but I can give you my general feeling and how the bike compares to my 2000 Cannondale. The Felt is very quick and nimble. It may not feel quite as fast as the Cannondale, but I think this is due to the slightly softer ride. The Cannondale has no give and is very stiff. Definitely designed to sprint. My Felt has a little give which softens up the ride and feels much better, or even dramatically better, after 75 miles or so of climbing through the Sierras. It's hard to explain, but it just feels easier on the body. But don't get me wrong, the Felt is built to go. It reacts quickly and feels like it is always ready to chase down that biker you can see on the road ahead of you. The frame has had zero problems. The compact crank is fantastic (once properly tuned in which took a couple of attempts) and climbs just about any pass around here. It is smooth and quiet and has given me no problems outside of the first week. For shorter faster rides I would take the Cannondale (probably), but on the longer rides the Felt has been the best choice I could have made for the money I think. When I bought the felt I did not consider the where it was made. I'm more of a globalist and really don't care. Also, seeing some of the quality coming out of American companies anymore (meaning nonbiking companies) I really am not too impressed by U.S. manufacturing anyway. But on that note, the Cannondale has done terrific qualitywise also.

So, in short, I think if you are looking at long haul riding you might be better with the Felt. If you want fast and shorter rides then the Cannondale.

#9 ·
Happy R700 Customer

I'm a newbie to this forum and I have no experience with Felt, but I recently purchased an R700 and I couldn't be happier with it. I logged a lot of miles on my father-in-law's Raleigh Technium road bike (ancient early-aluminum frame from the '80s), and the difference when I moved to the Cannondale was staggering to me. The word that always springs to my mind is "responsive." My R700 just takes off-- when you feel like you need to step it up a little, when you gotta get over that hill, you just give a little effort and the thing explodes like a rocket. It gives me a lot of confidence when I ride to know that it's so responsive. I take it on some good long rides (for me, that is: 40 miles or so) and I find it comfortable for me.

If I were you, I'd not make any decision until you take both bikes for a ride.

#10 ·
I also rode both C'dale's and Felt's. I started with the Caad 8 R 700 and F75 too. Then went on to the R 800 & F65, onto the R 900 & F55. Then I rode the C'dale's R 1000 and that was it! I came home with the R 1000.

I've been riding about 30~60 miles since I brought home my C'dale and I find that it's a very resposive and comforable bicycle. Don't get me wrong, I'd have been happy with the Felt too. But, the C'dale won me out in the end. I feel the C'dale's come better equipped stock then the Felts do.

Less up grades to do in the near future. The most I see up grading some time in the future, are the wheels and the saddle. Most folks swap thoses out anyway!

Peace :aureola:

#11 ·
Thanks and by way of update...

this week I rode the R1000, Six 13 pro 2, and the Felt F75. I plan on riding the F55 as well.

I decided to move up a little from the R700/800 level. Anyway, I liked the Six 13 pro much more than the R1000. It felt felt much smoother on the road and was easily as fast, but it is $2400.

I then rode the F75 which had a very nice ride and feel, a lot like the six 13, except for the components, which felt inferior to the Cannondales I rode, but in fairness, the Cannondales I rode cost 600-1000 more.

I wanted to try the F55 but LBS did not have in my size but will next week. The way things stand, if the F55 rides like the F75 with superior components (which essentially it is), there is a good chance I will go with that bike.

Also, how do you figure the Cannondales come better equipped? The F55 with Dura Ace components is $2100 with a carbon/aluminum frame. A roughly comparable Cannondale is either the R5000 (aluminum rame) at about 2500 or the Six 13 pro 1 at about 3500.

#12 ·
james newman said:
I too looked at both bikes just a few months ago.. The R700 is lighter and a much faster ride. Both bikes were a nice ride , but the ride was better all around on the felt. I liked the over all feel & components also better on the Felt. I traded in my Scott CR1pro on a Felt F4C...and still might replace my old Fuji with the F75.
Do something for me if ya can...test ride a Felt F4C...I rode it and the F55...I really liked them both, but the F4C won out overall for me anyways...I ride it everyday, and it is a fantastic bike. the brakes feel great, the shifters & drivetrain are top notch. the wheels I changed..

#13 ·
I just got a 2005 F65 at the LBS, and I couldn't be happier. It's my first road bike, and I haven't ridden anything in the past year due to Katrina. As a result of this, I'm terribly out of shape, but I knew a bike was the answer. I went in with a budget of $1000, and my LBS showed me the 2006 Trek 1200, and the 2005 F65 and F75. I rode all three, and the 1200's aluminum frame was FAR from forgiving. The F75 was EXTREMELY comfortable, and the F65 was slightly less comfortable than the F75, BUT it had Ultegra and the shop was charging $849.99 for the F75 (which they still have and would probably ship!) and I paid about $240.00 more to step up to the F65.

I love it. I'm new to this, but based on comfort and the cost-benefit, I'd get the Felt. If you're interested, tons of LBS here have 2005 models that they weren't able to move as a result of Katrina. They're pretty deeply discounted right now. I bought from a shop that wasn't flooded and sustained zero damage in the storm. However, some shops in the area are still liquidating their stock that was suspended on racks or from the ceilings while the store had a good 5 feet of water. Here's an example of one such store: http://bayoubicycles.com/ Some great deals there and I saw the bikes the other day, they all looked pristine and the shop has long since been gutted and cleaned. He's figuring out if he will reopen or not, and where he will open shop.

#17 ·
The Armagh said:
What am I missing here? :confused:
Kinesis is rumored to make Felt's frames, along with frames for many others...

When he says "right," he means "write." "Write Kinesis..."

Felts have a ton of decals and logos... Check this out.

Seriously, though, I have a Felt F80 and am pretty happy with it. I find that Felt gets their bikes down to certain pricepoints by offering a mixture of components. For example, some Felts have Dura Ace shifters, but Tektro brakes. Cheaper Felts sometimes have cheapo wheels, but I don't think any worse or better than low-end Cannondales' wheels.

I almost bought a C'dale, but went with the Felt because it was cheaper (but then ended up spening the difference between the bikes on new wheels and a saddle for the Felt). I don't think there's a huge difference here, just get the one that looks cooler.

#18 ·
I have also been considering these bikes (the R1000 vs Felt). A third bike in the mix that I have not had a chance to ride is the Giant TCR. Does anyone have any experience with these? Also I hear that Cdale is going to stop making the six13 and replace it with a new bike. Do you thing there may be some price cutting on six13's if that is the case?

#20 ·
robertw said:
this week I rode the R1000, Six 13 pro 2, and the Felt F75. I plan on riding the F55 as well.

I decided to move up a little from the R700/800 level. Anyway, I liked the Six 13 pro much more than the R1000. It felt felt much smoother on the road and was easily as fast, but it is $2400.

I then rode the F75 which had a very nice ride and feel, a lot like the six 13, except for the components, which felt inferior to the Cannondales I rode, but in fairness, the Cannondales I rode cost 600-1000 more.

I wanted to try the F55 but LBS did not have in my size but will next week. The way things stand, if the F55 rides like the F75 with superior components (which essentially it is), there is a good chance I will go with that bike.

Also, how do you figure the Cannondales come better equipped? The F55 with Dura Ace components is $2100 with a carbon/aluminum frame. A roughly comparable Cannondale is either the R5000 (aluminum rame) at about 2500 or the Six 13 pro 1 at about 3500.
Frames aside between the C'dale R 1000 and Felt F5C, and just comparing the components. The R 1000 was the better choice for my needs and riding style. :D

Not everyone likes the feel and the ride of carbon fiber, I perfer steel or aluminum to FC. That said, both bikes sell for $1999 MSRP. I got the R 1000 with 15% off MSRP to boot. Sorry, didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch! :p

Peace :aureola:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.