Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 53
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    345

    new Masi Evoluzione HMC build

    so after getting outbid (while distracted by dinner) last night on a brand new Ridley Damocles ($810.)
    , today, on my B-day I win this Mazi Evoluzione. I wonder if it's the same frame as the Ribbles and the Pedalforce RS3? A frame that's re-branded and sold by different company's? At any rate the Kenda 5 hour energy pro team raced on it all year and if it's good enough for them.
    Looks like I'm going to need new BB30 cranks (no "adapters" please), a new FD, tapered headset, and a new seat post. Otherwise everything from my good ole, 2 year old and going soft Aluminum Scat bike will be transferred over. Any comments?
    good frame for a 225 pound gear masher, hail Mary Cat 4 racer?
    Last edited by draganM; 12-07-2011 at 08:05 AM.
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    284
    Very tasteful color scheme. As for whether its good enough...time will tell. It does look like a beauty though. Congrats.

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by M-theory View Post
    Very tasteful color scheme. As for whether its good enough...time will tell. It does look like a beauty though. Congrats.
    thanks, ordered a set of Sram Red cranks for it yesterday, $280. delivered. So that's about $840. for both w/shipping.
    I'm actually more worried about the BB30 system than I am about the frame. I feel like the tapered bearings of the current Shimano is superior to Cartridge's. Cartridge bearings do not take a side load well at all. I guess we'll find out come spring, if BB30 sucks I'll be sure to tell the whole forum
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

  4. #4
    BCP
    BCP is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    78
    Sounds like you scored a deal on that frame -

    NEW 2011 Masi Evoluzione HMC Carbon Frame Set Road Bike 59cm Gloss Red Kenda | eBay

    Looks nice, good luck with the build!

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    345
    yeah I think i really did, half that much. Hopefully the seller follows through, I doubt he's happy with the final price. Couple neg's in that regard in their FB.
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

  6. #6
    T K
    T K is offline
    wasssabi
    Reputation: T K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,867
    As far as I know, Masi was bought out by Haro. Or whomever makes Haro. So now they are about as Italian as Round Table Pizza. Sharp looking bikes anyway.

  7. #7
    Special guest
    Reputation: turbogrover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    535
    Quote Originally Posted by draganM View Post
    thanks, ordered a set of Sram Red cranks for it yesterday, $280. delivered. So that's about $840. for both w/shipping.
    I'm actually more worried about the BB30 system than I am about the frame. I feel like the tapered bearings of the current Shimano is superior to Cartridge's. Cartridge bearings do not take a side load well at all. I guess we'll find out come spring, if BB30 sucks I'll be sure to tell the whole forum
    The cartridge bearings are angular contact bearings, or else they wouldn't be able to be side loaded at all. The reason they wear out is from being pressed in incorrectly, or the bearing seats are not perfectly concentric with one another. BB30 works well as long as the installation is carefully done well.

    That said, the best BB I have, is a Phil Wood 68mm BB used with a standard square taper spindle. The bearings are still like new.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    15
    Masi very underrated brand IMO

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    345
    never heard of Haro before. A quick search show mostly BMX and "rad dudes" that like jump stuff I'll know soon enough, frame will be here on Thursday, I'll look for the made in Taiwan sticker.
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,858
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogrover View Post
    The cartridge bearings are angular contact bearings, or else they wouldn't be able to be side loaded at all. The reason they wear out is from being pressed in incorrectly, or the bearing seats are not perfectly concentric with one another. BB30 works well as long as the installation is carefully done well.

    That said, the best BB I have, is a Phil Wood 68mm BB used with a standard square taper spindle. The bearings are still like new.
    All the newer bottom brackets do not seem to match the reliability of old school cartridge bottom brackets from Shimano. My square taperd Shimano Dura Ace 7400 series BB from 1993 was still going strong when I took it last week, and the only reason I changed it out was because I wanted a compact crankset (which most of the old square tapered BBs don't support).

  11. #11
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,886
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    As far as I know, Masi was bought out by Haro. Or whomever makes Haro. So now they are about as Italian as Round Table Pizza. Sharp looking bikes anyway.
    True.

    Haro bought Masi several years ago. They brought the brand back from obscurity (and demise due to crappy frames).

    Masi now is much better than it has been in years. If I needed another road brand, I'd pick them up.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  12. #12
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,886
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    All the newer bottom brackets do not seem to match the reliability of old school cartridge bottom brackets from Shimano. My square taperd Shimano Dura Ace 7400 series BB from 1993 was still going strong when I took it last week, and the only reason I changed it out was because I wanted a compact crankset (which most of the old square tapered BBs don't support).
    Hint: Road Compact cranks = old MTB Standard cranks (110mm bolt pattern)
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,095
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    True.

    Haro bought Masi several years ago. They brought the brand back from obscurity (and demise due to crappy frames).

    Masi now is much better than it has been in years. If I needed another road brand, I'd pick them up.
    I'll second that. Plus, the "Evoluzione" is Masi's first proprietary carbon frame, i.e., designed/engineered by Masi. The previous generation Volumetrica was an "open mold" frame. Basically a "downtube sticker" generic frame.

    I got to take a short ride on our Masi rep's Evoluzione and was favorably impressed. Nice frameset.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

  14. #14
    T K
    T K is offline
    wasssabi
    Reputation: T K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    True.

    Haro bought Masi several years ago. They brought the brand back from obscurity (and demise due to crappy frames).

    Masi now is much better than it has been in years. If I needed another road brand, I'd pick them up.
    So how does an American BMX company get an Italian road bike brand anyway. And I see they still sell the whole Italy thing. What's the deal?

  15. #15
    warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Reputation: foto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,324
    My friend has their steel cross bike for commuting. It is nice enough. Not bad, but nothing special, even though it says "speciale" on it. I would say a very similar frame to the Surly, nicer spec, a little prettier, etc.

    Haven't seen their race bikes, and Haro has been around for ever. Their MTBs are fine, their BMX is poop.

  16. #16
    T K
    T K is offline
    wasssabi
    Reputation: T K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,867
    When I was a kid in the '80s racing BMX, (Bob) Haro's number plates were baddass! Remember those?

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DY123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    191
    Dave Ybarrola
    Ybarrola Bicycles
    www.ybarrola.com

  18. #18
    classiquesklassieker
    Reputation: orange_julius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3,068
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I'll second that. Plus, the "Evoluzione" is Masi's first proprietary carbon frame, i.e., designed/engineered by Masi. The previous generation Volumetrica was an "open mold" frame. Basically a "downtube sticker" generic frame.

    I got to take a short ride on our Masi rep's Evoluzione and was favorably impressed. Nice frameset.
    Does Masi actually have engineering staff, or do they rely on their (Taiwanese) suppliers for the design?

  19. #19
    T K
    T K is offline
    wasssabi
    Reputation: T K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,867
    Thanks for the link. That was a short read.
    I still think it is a stretch to put "Milano" on the head tube badge. Designed in Carlsbad, made it Taiwan, sold as Italian?
    I'd still love to have one.
    Last edited by T K; 11-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    345
    Got it today, it's alright. The Carbon layup isn't what you get on a Tarmac but then I've never seen a Tarmac go for 500 bucks either. Under the clear coat you can see where the different layers or sheets of Carbon meet up or whatever? Probably not describing it well. Perfect for a Crit bike though, I don't have to worry about smashing $4K into the pavement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new Masi, Italian or Chasi?-img_2519.jpg   new Masi, Italian or Chasi?-img_2520.jpg  
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

  21. #21
    T K
    T K is offline
    wasssabi
    Reputation: T K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,867
    I think that is pretty much standard really. Some manufacturers paint black over those areas to blend it in. There are crappy Tarmacs I'm sure.
    Hey, if yer not happy with it I'll PM you my address.

  22. #22
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,886
    Quote Originally Posted by T K View Post
    I think that is pretty much standard really. Some manufacturers paint black over those areas to blend it in. There are crappy Tarmacs I'm sure.
    Hey, if yer not happy with it I'll PM you my address.
    Indeed. Every decent carbon frame has multiple layers/wraps around the BB shell. Most paint it black and fade it at the edges so that no one really notices. I kinda like it without the paint hiding it.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    345
    cool, thanks for the explanation. This is my first Carbon frame so I've never had a chance to really examine one up close. IT doesn't have a "made in" sticker anywhere so that remains a mystery. I have a felling this was an extra team-bike (back-up) that was never used and simply blown out at the end of the year.
    I'll be riding my Aluminum frame until Spring unless it breaks before then, then build this up with mostly the old DA/ Ultegra components. Only addition will be be Sram Red BB30 cranks , tapered headset, and 31.6 seat-post. I'll post some pics once it's done.
    One last question, the fork steerer didn't come with any kind of of a re-enforcing insert like my Alpha Q did. It's also twice as thick wall though. Is it possible this fork doesn't use and insert or ?
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

  24. #24
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,886
    Quote Originally Posted by draganM View Post
    cool, thanks for the explanation. This is my first Carbon frame so I've never had a chance to really examine one up close. IT doesn't have a "made in" sticker anywhere so that remains a mystery. I have a felling this was an extra team-bike (back-up) that was never used and simply blown out at the end of the year.
    I'll be riding my Aluminum frame until Spring unless it breaks before then, then build this up with mostly the old DA/ Ultegra components. Only addition will be be Sram Red BB30 cranks , tapered headset, and 31.6 seat-post. I'll post some pics once it's done.
    One last question, the fork steerer didn't come with any kind of of a re-enforcing insert like my Alpha Q did. It's also twice as thick wall though. Is it possible this fork doesn't use and insert or ?
    The Masi frames are made in Taiwan, I believe. It's either there or China, but I think they're the better (Taiwan) ones.

    Inserts are thankfully not the standard. I hated those damn things when I sold Cervelos at another shop. You need a compression plug for yours like this one:
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: looigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,984
    Like others said, the way the carbon looks is the real deal. On some bikes its painted, covered over with woven carbon or otherwise disguised or hidden, but that's just cosmetic. For example, take a look at a BMC SLR01, Cadel Evans TDF bike. It looks the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help UPS lost my new custom Italian Masi!
    By joeeramone in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 04:54 AM
  2. Masi CXR?
    By LeeWald in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 04:51 PM
  3. Masi
    By FatTireFred in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-30-2006, 02:25 PM
  4. italian headset for 1980s italian bike?
    By steel515 in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 08:15 AM
  5. Masi
    By rcnute in forum Retro-Classic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 11:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Hot Deals

Contest

Tour De France

Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook