RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

New mid grade road bike - Carbon frame yes, Disc brakes? Tarmac SL5 disc maybe?

I am tossing around the idea of new road bike.

I currently have Trek 5200 from 2001 that I bought used years ago. Nice bike, but long in the tooth for sure.

I am mostly a mtn biker so get most of my miles there. My Mtn bike racing team shop is a Specialized shop so I am look at Specialized for a new road bike.

Purpose is 1 to 3 hour road rides solo or in small groups. We also do friendly crits every Tuesday with my shop team. I can almost stay with the A group, but mostly get dropped and tend to form up a "B" group.

Looking to go new rather than used for a couple reason. Want to get a new fresh bike and I want get the size dialed in. I got my Trek used and think it one frame size too small. It works and was my first road bike, but if I am going to replace it might as well get one that fits me properly. Also looking to go road disc. Seems like the future and I don't like braking on carbon rims. I might upgrade at some point and it would be nice to have disc to make the swap easy.

My thoughts are centered on Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc. Has ultegra all around (except for cassette) and disc brakes. It saves about $1000 off the new SL6 Tarmac frame in rim brake version. The Tarmac Pro is nice, but at 6k more than I want to spend for an "extra bike".

Any thoughts? Words of warning?

I am up on all the MTB trends, but not as much on road bike stuff.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2018 Specialized Epic - Vassago Verhauen Steel SS - 2013 Santa Cruz 5010

ngl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Go to your dealer and test ride some road bikes and learn about the latest "Road Bike Trends". Unfortunately only you can decide if you want rim vs disc brakes, carbon vs aluminum frame set, aluminum vs carbon wheels, tubeless ready tires etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    focus less on the group set than the bike fit. i came from a trek 5200. i found the fit of my colnago just a bit better. as far as disc goes , it doesn't sound necessary but if that's what will get you excited to ride go for it, it won't hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ngl View Post
    Go to your dealer and test ride some road bikes .........
    ^This.^

Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    focus less on the group set than the bike fit.
    ^And this.^

My advice would be to visit some shops. Find out which shops are better at working with you. In other words, shop for your shop, then shop for your bike.

I cannot emphasize enough how important it is for a shop to give you a good fit. A good shop will not just eyeball you on the bike, say you're good and send you on your way. A good shop will put you and your new bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit just right. A bike that fits you just right will be a pleasure to ride, will make you less fatigued after a long ride and may prevent repetitive use injury down the road.

Look out for a shop that is inclined to tell you a size too big or small "will be OK" because they don't have the exact size in the bike you're interested in.

Don't focus on brand. There are many good bike brands. Test ride lots of bikes. Find out what feels good and what wows you when you're riding it.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    my own experience is that i was brainwashed on treks, but when the time came luckily had cold feet after looking at the price and ordering process of their top end bikes and even more luckily admitting this wasn't the right geometry for me. then i brainwashed myself into wanting a merckx but luckily the dealer dissuaded me after doing a measurement. had a great experience with the c-59 purchase where i was fit, could see the frame and hand pick my components.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I have good shop already and do good fits. They are a specialized shop. This is why I am looking at Specialized.

Here is my current bike. Fit works ok (never had a "fit done", just my own feel), but I am pretty sure the frame is one size too small. Works, but could be better, but frankly I am not certain on size. I think it is a 52 and I would be better on a 54. I am 5'7" Not uncomfortable at all, but I am sure it needs some refinement.

In then end I am not worried about fit as I am sure I can find the right size to work. If I replace my current bike I will probably keep it for years to come. I road ride once or twice a week at most so road for me is just a way to get in quick ride. I don't do long road rides since if I have long time to ride I tend to hit the trails instead. Now when it comes to riding my local road loop is 22 miles and 1400 feet of climbing. In the last 10 miles I do 5-6 5% to 8% grade short climbs and descents down the roads. The braking on this road bike is never as secure as on my mtn bikes. It stops, but never seems to want to. I am sure I could change out brake pads, but seems like going discs is more future proof. Plus if go with carbon wheels at some point I don't have to worry about special pads for the carbon brake surfaces.

All that said there is nothing "wrong" with my current bike. I ride it and it works fine for what it is. A back up bike for when I want do some road miles.
    Joe
    Road Bike - Trek 5200 | MTB - 2018 Specialized Epic - Vassago Verhauen Steel SS - 2013 Santa Cruz 5010