RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001

new shiny: ANT Boston Roadster

I've been working on this build for much of the summer. Finally put on the final bits yesterday.

I used a combination of new and old stuff, many parts I've holding on to in a bin for years waiting for the right opportunity to put them to use.

The idea was to create a bike path cruiser to use with my kids while they are young and my wife when we are old.

- ANT Boston Roadster frame - based on the classic Iver Johnson frames from the early 1900s. Powder coated
    - Sturmey Archer 3-spd w/ thumb shifter
    - Vintage Dia-Compe levers (from my first mtn bike - mid '80s vintage)
    - Paul Components neo-retro cantilevers
    - H Plus Son Archetype rims with Sapim X-Ray spoke built by Justin Spinelli / Luxe Wheelworks
    - Vintage Mavic front hub w/Lightweight skewer for the lulz
    - Vintage MKS Grafight X pedals (these were on my 1st gen Haro Master - sold last year)
    - White Industries ENO cranks / Phil BB

With this build complete, I'm down to two bikes - this and my stainless Rhygin Juke.

Thinking about building a new road bike sometime in the new year, and torn between going with another Seven or IF, or trying an Igleheart or Firefly.

Decisions, decisions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new shiny:  ANT Boston Roadster-dsc_1918.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member

Very Cool....Enjoy your new ride.

Great job... you'll be the Baddest Dad in the neighborhood

RoadBikeReview Member
    Awesome alert.

But damn with that gearing are you regularly going up a wall with your kids or something?

Not Banned
    that bike is sexy
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    How well do those Canti's work in comparison to calipers? I've been looking at those for a potential new build and am curious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    @ kittskart - thanks - I put an iBert seat on the front for my toddler - we get a lot of thumbs up on the bike path. with that green seat behind the bars, no one notices the bike (which is perfectly fine with me).

@ Ventruck - good eye - still tweaking. I'm definitely spinning. I'll probably settle in the 32-36t range. I think of this as the Major Taylor Hillclimb configuration.

@ atpjunkie - thx

@ JoelS - you can read up on Paul Neo-Retro cantis here and elsewhere - they are based on the old Mafac tandem brakes - pro: tons of leverage / con: relatively wide means less ankle clearance in the back on some frames or for people with huge feet. This build would be fine with low profile cantis, however I already had these in the bin, and I'm glad to have the power when pulling my kids tow bike. In general, cantis provide more clearance for mud, accommodation for large tires, and super-quick wheel removal (vs calipers).