Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

New to site, looking for assistance with recent Trek purchase.

Hi There, I am new to this site so please pardon if I posted this question in the wrong location or anything. I am hoping to get some feedback from you knowledgeable folks about a Trek I purchased last week.

This is the 3rd Trek that I have purchased from the same local shop. First was a brand new (Navigator 2.0) and sold it a year later to a friend because I wanted to train for triathlons. So, in Jan 2012, I purchased a used road bike (Trek 1.2 43 cm frame) from the same shop (it actually belonged to the shop owners son...and now a year later, I was told by an experienced triathlete and close friend, that my bike is too small and suggested I go look at one at the shop.

I just sold that 1.2 to another friend who is a few inches shorter than me and she is even greener to road riding than I was ... I went and bought the new Lexa S compact. 50cm frame. So that's the basic background...

The tag on this new Lexa S had an MSRP of $989 and shop owner had it marked down to $889. I was told this was a 2013 model. At the register, it rang up at MSRP -10% which totaled $10 less than the tag listing. $880 + $75 in tax. Shop owner did not charge me for a spare tube or equip labor (swapping out my pedals, saddle, aerobar, etc.)

When I got home and registered the bike, discovered it was a 2011 model (which actually has a better derailleur than a 2013 model) But still it is a 2011, and that upset me because I left the shop under the impression that it was a 2013. Do bikes not depreciate in value like cars do when the newer models come out?

My DH went back and asked for a 10% discount from the $889 tag listing ($80) I think the shop owner is upset about the dispute but gave my husband a $100 from his wallet.

Looking at the Trek archives, the listing indicates that my bike is completely standard, all the way to the earl grey,minty color scheme. As shown here: TrekBikes.com Bike Archive | 2011 Lexa S

It is a nice bike, and I want to be able to let all of this go and just enjoy the ride. Did I pay fair retail value for the bike? Did I over or under pay for this new 2011 Trek Lexa S?

Thanks for any feedback...

Last edited by DSinAZ; 06-27-2013 at 09:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DSinAZ View Post
    Hi There, I am new to this site so please pardon if I posted this question in the wrong location or anything. I am hoping to get some feedback from you knowledgeable folks about a Trek I purchased last week.

This is the 3rd Trek that I have purchased from the same local shop. First was a brand new (Navigator 2.0) and sold it a year later to a friend because I wanted to train for triathlons. So, in Jan 2012, I purchased a used road bike (Trek 1.2 43 cm frame) from the same shop (it actually belonged to the shop owners son...and now a year later, I was told by an experienced triathlete and close friend, that my bike is too small and suggested I go look at one at the shop.

I just sold that 1.2 to another friend who is a few inches shorter than me and she is even greener to road riding than I was ... I went and bought the new Lexa S compact. 50cm frame. So that's the basic background...

The tag on this new Lexa S had an MSRP of $989 and shop owner had it marked down to $889. I was told this was a 2013 model. At the register, it rang up at MSRP -10% which totaled $10 less than the tag listing. $880 + $75 in tax. Shop owner did not charge me for a spare tube or equip labor (swapping out my pedals, saddle, aerobar, etc.)

When I got home and registered the bike, discovered it was a 2011 model (which actually has a better derailleur than a 2013 model) But still it is a 2011, and that upset me because I left the shop under the impression that it was a 2013. Do bikes not depreciate in value like cars do when the newer models come out?

My DH went back and asked for a 10% discount from the $889 tag listing ($80) I think the shop owner is upset about the dispute but gave my husband a $100 from his wallet.

Looking at the Trek archives, the listing indicates that my bike is completely standard, all the way to the earl grey,minty color scheme. As shown here: TrekBikes.com Bike Archive | 2011 Lexa S

It is a nice bike, and I want to be able to let all of this go and just enjoy the ride. Did I pay fair retail value for the bike? Did I over or under pay for this new 2011 Trek Lexa S?

Thanks for any feedback...

This incident should be reported to the BBB, and you should look for more reimbursement from the dealer. That was false advertising to say the least! Just Google...BIKEPEDIA...Next, click on the year. Next, click on the brand. Finally, click on the model. All of your research info should be there. These are my calculations: $900/10 = $90 ....2 X $90 = $180... $900 -180 = $720 + Tax...We divide by ten, because that's the expected service lifespan. www.livestrong.com/article/117012-calculate-cost-used-bicycle/
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    This incident should be reported to the BBB, and you should look for more reimbursement from the dealer. That was false advertising to say the least! Just Google...BIKEPEDIA...Next, click on the year. Next, click on the brand. Finally, click on the model. All of your research info should be there. These are my calculations: $900/10 = $90 ....2 X $90 = $180... $900 -180 = $720 + Tax...We divide by ten, because that's the expected service lifespan. www.livestrong.com/article/117012-calculate-cost-used-bicycle/
    Since your bike wasn't technically, a "used" bike, the price that you finally paid, was most probably in the ballpark somewhere. It was still an illegal transaction though, anyway!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Why didn't you ask to return it for a refund?
    You asked the owner for a remedy (10% refund) in which he gave you more than 10%. You have been made whole based on your own request.

This incident should be reported to the BBB, and you should look for more reimbursement from the dealer. That was false advertising to say the least!
    How do you know it wasn't just a label mistake?

Since your bike wasn't technically, a "used" bike, the price that you finally paid, was most probably in the ballpark somewhere. It was still an illegal transaction though, anyway!
    How do you get that it was used? A leftover model is not "technically used". It's actually new.

You have no evidence that it was an illegal transaction rather than a mistake. And even if the owner did it on purpose, the OP went back, aknowledged they model year difference, and accepted a remedy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    I totally disagree, to me, bike value is based on how many miles the bicycle has been used and also on warranty. Especially when you're talking about a year or two. Sure the shop owner should have known, and told you. If the bike you bought was just sitting around, then you bought the bike and thought it was a good deal. In my opinion, bikes do not depreciate in such a manner and can be returned, or traded for another bike. You got a good deal which quickly changed to a great deal. This left your shop owner in the dark, in an already tough market. Now, if anything goes wrong with your bike, the shop owner may not be too eager to help you out.

When I bought my bike, I simply made out a cashiers check for the amount listed on the bicycle and handed it to my LBS owner. I respect him, and he has got my back if anything goes wrong. And that my friend is worth more than a measly hundred bucks.
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Why didn't you ask to return it for a refund?
    You asked the owner for a remedy (10% refund) in which he gave you more than 10%. You have been made whole based on your own request.

How do you know it wasn't just a label mistake?

How do you get that it was used? A leftover model is not "technically used". It's actually new.

You have no evidence that it was an illegal transaction rather than a mistake. And even if the owner did it on purpose, the OP went back, aknowledged they model year difference, and accepted a remedy.
    Yeah, that's what I said, it's technically NOT used...However, it was a case of false advertising. Mistake or not, the transaction was indeed illegal, since the bike was presented as something it was not. However, I would agree, since the OP's husband accepted the hundred bucks as a remedy. It most probably should just be a dropped case. Though, a two year old bike, most probably should be discounted a bit more than just 10%.... That's sounds more like an end-of-the-year discount!
    Last edited by Zeet; 06-27-2013 at 10:43 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooben View Post
    I totally disagree, to me, bike value is based on how many miles the bicycle has been used and also on warranty. Especially when you're talking about a year or two. Sure the shop owner should have known, and told you. If the bike you bought was just sitting around, then you bought the bike and thought it was a good deal. In my opinion, bikes do not depreciate in such a manner and can be returned, or traded for another bike. You got a good deal which quickly changed to a great deal. This left your shop owner in the dark, in an already tough market. Now, if anything goes wrong with your bike, the shop owner may not be too eager to help you out.

When I bought my bike, I simply made out a cashiers check for the amount listed on the bicycle and handed it to my LBS owner. I respect him, and he has got my back if anything goes wrong. And that my friend is worth more than a measly hundred bucks.
    To me, bike value is based upon the year of the bike, the model, its mileage or use, and the frame material, if it was used at all. For some people, a hundred bucks means quite a bit more, than it does to others. The OP just might be better off, taking that hundred bucks, and moving on to another LBS that offers bikes without "labeling mistakes" in their own favor.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    However, it was a case of false advertising. Mistake or not, the transaction was indeed illegal, since the bike was presented as something it was not.
    No it's not. It was not an advertisement. It was a statement from someone at the shop. Per the OP, "I was told this was a 2013 model." Maybe it was a mistatement. Maybe the OP heard wrong.
    Perhaps if it had a sign on it "2013" or listed in a flyer "2013 Trek Lexa". You'd be hard pressed to have any legal standing on a false advertisement claim.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooben View Post
    I totally disagree, to me, bike value is based on how many miles the bicycle has been used and also on warranty.
    Maybe to you, but not to anyone else. Pretty much every commercial product (cars, TV's, cell phones, etc) reduce in value once the new model year is released.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    No it's not. It was not an advertisement. It was a statement from someone at the shop. Per the OP, "I was told this was a 2013 model." Maybe it was a mistatement. Maybe the OP heard wrong.
    Perhaps if it had a sign on it "2013" or listed in a flyer "2013 Trek Lexa". You'd be hard pressed to have any legal standing on a false advertisement claim.
    Yeah, but why is it that, all of these "maybes" and "perhaps" prefaces, always end up being in the vendors favor, and up to the unsuspecting potential buyer's duty to prove otherwise...

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    God ... now he's quoting himself

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post

God ... now he's quoting himself
    Nope! I just can't downshift on this website! And stop referring to your audience as, "GOD"...I can assure you, they're not quite that lofty!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Bike is two years old, not current model
    Bike is unused
    Bike has at least one component (deraeilleur) that is "better" than the current model, but I don't know about other things that might be better or worse (i.e. wheels)
    Received $100 refund because of mistake

OK, I would also be dissatisfied that the shop mislead me (through ignorance, or purposeful) about the model year. However, you got a $100 refund (which is about 10%). I might have asked for $150 or returned the bike, but it's not a ridiculous arrangement.

SO... the only thing to me - does the 2011 bike have a full warranty, equivalent to the 2013 bike? This is a huge factor, much more important than any of the other things. The fact that the bike is unused, to me means that with the $100 compensation and the possibly better parts, if the warranty is equivalent, I'd be happy......

Especially if I liked the color better than the 2013. I'd gladly go with a 2 year old (NEW, full warranty) bike at a reasonable discount if I liked the color better and it had the same warranty. If you ride the bike for a few years (say 3+), the model year really won't matter in terms of resale. What will matter is the component group on it, and it's condition. A 3-4 year old (in model years) will be worth about the same as a 5-6 year old (in model year) bike if they are both in the same excellent condition, both have similar wear and tear (condition of the drive train, e.g.) and both have the same grade of components on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Just to clarify, I do believe that the shop owner was being honest with me when he said the bike was a 2013. He seemed genuinely surprised to know that it was in fact a 2011. I don't know how that happened, maybe some sort of inventory error...whatever. I don't want to file any sort of complaint. The fact that my husband put the offer on the table for a discount ended the matter for both men. I don't want to take advantage of the shop owner for a mistake...that is why I was seeking your expertise here on the fair dollar value of this bike.

* (edited) DH says he got the 10% figure based on...
    MRSP of this bike in 2011 was $899. He asked shop owner for 10% discount of that pricing.

I don't know about the warranty status, shouldn't it be covered as a new bike?
    Last edited by DSinAZ; 06-27-2013 at 01:17 PM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't want to take advantage of the shop owner for a mistake...that is why I was seeking your expertise here on the fair dollar value of this bike.
    I wouldn't say it was a great price. But it was a fair price, after the $100 refund.

Absolutely! Register for your warranty with Trek ASAP. If there's any problem with that, then you have a big issue with the shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Just to clarify, I do believe that the shop owner was being honest with me when he said the bike was a 2013. He seemed genuinely surprised to know that it was in fact a 2011. I don't know how that happened, maybe some sort of inventory error...whatever. I don't want to file any sort of complaint. The fact that my husband put the offer on the table for a discount ended the matter for both men. I don't want to take advantage of the shop owner for a mistake...that is why I was seeking your expertise here on the fair dollar value of this bike.

* (edited) DH says he got the 10% figure based on...
    MRSP of this bike in 2011 was $899. He asked shop owner for 10% discount of that pricing.

Unless it's a huge bicycle shop, with a huge bicycle inventory, I doubt very seriously if it was indeed a clerical error, or whatever...Most car salesmen know their inventory inside-out, in less than two or three weeks. I'm most certain that the average bicycle shop, with less than two hundred bikes on the floor, has salespeople who know that a bicycle has been sitting on that very same bicycle shop floor, for more than a year or so. Quite often, teachers learn the names of over a hundred students, along with the students' backgrounds in less than two weeks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Was it a great deal, probably not, a OK deal yeah. I would question a shop that 1st sold me a bike that was too small and then next purchase tried to sell me a two year old model without disclosing it (mistake maybe, but I believe a shop should know their inventory). As you say, let it go and enyoy the ride........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenrow View Post
    Was it a great deal, probably not, a OK deal yeah. I would question a shop that 1st sold me a bike that was too small and then next purchase tried to sell me a two year old model without disclosing it (mistake maybe, but I believe a shop should know their inventory). As you say, let it go and enyoy the ride........
    Thanks, I certainly have learned a lot and have my eyes wide open now. It is a very small town so I will do my research from now on. I was stuck on the fairness of the final deal. If you all had said that I/DH was in any way in the wrong for the deal resolution, I would head straight back to the shop to return it. For me personally, I live by the rule that we should always "do unto others..."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah, way to stick it to him...
    With people like Peter P. around, I am done posting on this website. Mean people have driven me off after 9 plus years. Good luck newbies beware.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Op,
    Its a done deal. You accepted the settlement. I would ride your bike, ride it alot, that will show him.

Zeet,
    Even on ignore you are everywhere with your freshly made up true stories. Jeebus.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post

Zeet,
    Even on ignore you are everywhere with your freshly made up true stories. Jeebus.
    Tihsepa, I sometimes understand what you're saying and you occasionally make a lotta sense. OTOH, right now, I have absolutely no idea what you're saying..."Freshly made up stories..." Really?

RoadBikeReview Member
    In this day and age, with everything posted on the internet...how did you not double check to make sure you were getting a good deal on your bike and research that specific model?

Second, why would you buy another bike from a shop that sold you a bike that is too small?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SBard1985 View Post
    Second, why would you buy another bike from a shop that sold you a bike that is too small?
    I was going to ask the same question. The difference between 43cm and 50 is big - way beyond a judgment call. This, combined with the misrepresentation of the model year, makes me doubt the integrity of this shop. I would stay away from them in the future.

Having said that, you got the bike and you got some money back. Stop worrying about it and just go out and ride. The Lexa is a nice bike, enjoy it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    OP: forget about all the other stuff except the warranty. Check on that ASAP, to me that's critical. If it has full warranty, it fits and you like how it looks, it's all good - ride it and enjoy it. Everything else matters not one iota. Certainly whether the price was "GREAT!!!" or just "fair" doesn't matter at all on a bike you like.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    OP: forget about all the other stuff except the warranty. Check on that ASAP, to me that's critical. If it has full warranty, it fits and you like how it looks, it's all good - ride it and enjoy it. Everything else matters not one iota. Certainly whether the price was "GREAT!!!" or just "fair" doesn't matter at all on a bike you like.

Thanks, I do really like the bike. It fits me correctly, and it's a smooth enjoyable ride. I know I rushed into the purchase without doing my research. This whole thing has been a good lesson. I am going to verify with Trek on the warranty. I will be a smarter shopper from now on. With only 2 bike shops in town; I went to the Trek dealer, but still I should have researched what I was purchasing.

I am learning a lot just from this website. Thanks again everyone for taking time to comment. I feel like I have the closure I was needing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast