RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

New Steel Frame...Which Fork

Hey all
    I was involved in an accident recently (a lady turned left in front of me) and her insurance is paying for a new frame and fork. I'm going to get a Torelli Nitro Express that you can get with a 1 in or a 1 1/8 in head tube and can't decide on a fork. I can get Torelli's steel fork painted to match which has a 1 in steer tube. Or I can get a Colubus Minimal Full Carbon fork from torelli. Or I could just get the frame and get my own fork. I was thinking Wound UP or Enve 2.0.

From a performance stand point I think the carbon forks would be lighter and soak up high frequency vibration better. But from a durability and aesthetic stand point I think the steel fork painted to match with chromed fork crown would win hands down.

If I get the steel fork I'll be stuck with the 1 in head tube which would limit my choices down the road.

So, whats it to be go for style and durability or go for less weight and better performance.

Thanks for your support

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will choose steel. So the 1" HT may limit my choices in the future but what are the chances that a quality steel fork ever need replacement?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

carbon

go for carbon

RoadBikeReview Member

Both ...

Get the old school matching fork, then you always have it, cant be to expensive. Then get the carbon one and have the best of both worlds.

WB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the input.

Well I went down to my lbs and he talked me out of the carbon fork so steel it is. I'll post some pictures when it's all finished

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is that steel fork gonna be threaded? That's what I would opt for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Nope, threadless. I like my Ritchey evo curve bars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    steel. when I built my waterford, I was talked into a carbon fork. this was the only mistake I made, and if I ever have the bike repainted, I will have waterford make a matching steel fork