RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015

New Ti v The old guard

Hi all,

Over here in the UK we are not blessed with tons of Ti bikes, and the best (in my opinion) seem to be from the US. We have recently seen a few new builders start to arrive in the UK such as Mosaic and No22. I appreciate that Aaron at Mosaic previously worked with Dean, and the guys at No22 were with Serotta but my question would be how do the companies products rate against the more established builders such as Moots, IF and Seven?

I do think that some of the newer builders seem to offer, in some cases, more modern designs, but the old guard have established reputations and for good reason.

Any views or is this a classic case of "Over thinking" it?

Regards

J

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Have you looked at the Dolan ADX? I don't own one, and am not a Ti aficionado, but I rode one and liked it. Made in Lancashire.

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/roa...-titanium.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    No22 is not custom but "made to order" which translates to they don't want to build up inventory so you need to wait for a stock frame. Which doesn't make them bad but kind of defeats the whole purpose of waiting months to get an expensive ti frame from a small builder vs off the shelf unless their stock goe fits your size and handling desires and tube selection your weight perfectly.

Based on some research and a test ride say Mosaic I'd does a nice job. Naturally I didn't test a bike custom made for me so can't comment on their sizing/handling philosophy as it relates to translating customer needs and desires.

As far as resources, experience and just making great frames that conform to customer wants and needs Seven is still the leader in class IMO. I think you are trying to overthink it if you think your thinking will lead to a better builder selection than Seven.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I though No. 22 was US? (or are you just saying their new and can now be got in UK...)

Don't forget enigma, they're UK
    All the gear and no idea

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Lots of people working Titanium these days. My Carver is every bit the bike my Seven is...And I built my Carver up with Ultegra Di2 for the cost of my Seven frameset.

Ti Gravel Grinder - Carver Bikes

For perspective...in terms of raw materials, a Titanium frame is only about $600-700USD in materials, depending exactly what dropouts and gauge/butting of tubing you use. All the rest of the price is manpower/tooling, margin, and warranty.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I though No. 22 was US? (or are you just saying their new and can now be got in UK...)

Don't forget enigma, they're UK
    Unless something has changed they are a Canadian company with manufacturing in up-state NY.

But anyway I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about what he can now get in the UK not looking at UK builders per se.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    AH yeah, figured they were north american-ish, just not close with the details.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I own a 2015 t1. Couldn't be happier. Also a lynskey pro29 and ridgline 29. Both are great bikes but. Litespeed finish is better. Looks more Refined. I didn't see the point in waiting over a year for a Firefly. Check them out. The anodized ti is amazing. 4200 for the frame last time I checked.
    I went litespeed and I am thinking on getting te disk version T1SL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    Ok, thanks for your information. If I stuck to the old guard, what would get the US vote? Moots Vamoots CR, Seven Axiom SL, Indy fab TICJ, or Mosaic RT2? I like the fact that most are custom, but the Moots may do a great job as it is. Not sure,

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM1E View Post
    Ok, thanks for your information. If I stuck to the old guard, what would get the US vote? Moots Vamoots CR, Seven Axiom SL, Indy fab TICJ, or Mosaic RT2? I like the fact that most are custom, but the Moots may do a great job as it is. Not sure,
    They'll all make you a nice bike. Exactly as you ask for it.

The question is, do you have an LBS/dealer to work through for any of them nearby? For their bespoke program, most prefer to work through an LBS dealer as a first option.

The key with doing a bespoke project...is knowing exactly what you want right now-and what you'll want 5-10 years down the line. My AxiomRace (which was the "Axiom SL" before it was called that), still puts a grin on my face. If I could do it all again, I'd better take into account paint choice matching to components...also would do thru axles and disc brakes for better fender clearance, and spec a higher clearance front and rear end. Only thing I don't love about the Seven is the non-replaceable RD hanger.

As mentioned earlier, my off-the-shelf Carver was built for the cost of my Seven frameset...and the Carver puts as much of a dumb grin on my face when I ride it. But the two are very different bikes for very different goals.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

MXL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Can't speak to current production Ti bikes, but my 2000 Colnago CT1 with 6/4 TI is still going strong and a real pleasure to ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Ti v The old guard-img_1193.jpg  
    Colnago C50 WH05 Record
    Colnago MXL D21 Chorus/Record
    Colnago CT1 CTR Centaur
    Nishiki Olympic 12 Suntour