RoadBikeReview Member

newbie swapping out Felt F85 frame help me out..

I have a Felt F85 just sitting here that is way too tall for me the seat post is as low as it can go,,, so what frames or brands would be the best replacement that everything will fit right on other than another felt frame if I cant find one,,,,, Kinda want a steel frame for this bike if possible but not sure if this is metric or us or anything else I would need to know..

I looked on ebay and saw a lot of frames but there must be a difference.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tajue17 View Post
    I have a Felt F85 just sitting here that is way too tall for me the seat post is as low as it can go,,, so what frames or brands would be the best replacement that everything will fit right on other than another felt frame if I cant find one,,,,, Kinda want a steel frame for this bike if possible but not sure if this is metric or us or anything else I would need to know..

Your question is a really broad one so brace yourself for all kinds of answers. To start though, it's probably not the bike manufacturer that's the problem, it's probably the wrong size bike. There are a bunch of options out there, and unless you are a really unusual size, almost all of them make a bike that can fit you well. So the first step is to get sized, preferably at a good shop. Step two is to set a budget. Step three is to try a bunch of bikes in your so size so that you can decide what kind of bike you really want based on real information instead speculation and theory (this is another benefit of hitting a few good shops once you have your budget or while you are saving up). That's the process I have found to work well. Ironically, I started with a Felt F85 that was too big for me. Get fit, try some different things out at different shops and then make up your mind. You might be surprised to find that modern aluminum builds or lower priced carbon bike might suit you just fine. The F85 can be a rough ride, but not alloy bikes are like that. Here's a few affordable options out there that I like. If I had to choose one to check out, it would probably be the Allez:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bikes-contend

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...t=#result-list

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-bikes/c/B200/

Road | Endurance Road | Synapse | Cannondale

Road | Elite Race | CAAD Optimo | Cannondale

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-bikes/slide/7

Fuji Bikes | Roubaix

Oh and Performance Bikes usually has really good closeout sales on their older bikes. You can get some incredible deals there. I recently bought a 2017 Fuji SL Disc on a steal. They aren't typically the best a fits and sizing however, but it really depends on the particular shop you are at. I wish you the best.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

'brifter' is a lame word.

You have provided absolutely zero information that would help anyone determine what might work for you. All we know is that the one you have now is too big. Your height: unknown. Current bike size: unknown. You really should talk to a bike shop that has someone on staff that knows how to fit bicycles and has an experienced mechanic that can determine what you can re-use and what you might need to replace as far as parts go.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    okay thanks for the posts and sorry for writing that wrong,, I have a F85 that is 58cm its a complete bike pretty mint but its too big because my other 54cm bikes that that I currently own fit me perfect including my Specialized Allez...

I know I need a 54cm frame but my question was if I want to take everything off the felt bike and put into another frame can I pretty much use any road bike frame I want including European Made bikes specifically Steel Italian made bikes???? I'm hoping that the wheels, brakes and bottom bracket will bolt right on OR do I need to stick with the Felt Brand?

again I already have bikes and I already ride I know my size is 54cm I'm 5'8" but I have this bike just leaning against the wall and I would like to make it into something that fits Preferably a Steel Touring bike because of the triple rings,, but I don't work on them until now I'd like to put this next bike together myself.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    You get my vote for 'Best Run-on sentence' of the year.

If you buy an Italian steel frame you'll need some parts, but I can't tell you which ones specifically w/o knowing exactly which frame. This should be starting to sound familiar by now...there are a LOT of very specific things that you need to understand and also tell us about before we can provide any concrete answers.

The Felt has a triple?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    You really just need to know the size of all the components on your current bike and then when looking at frames you will know what of your old stuff off that ‘too big for you’ Felt will fit and what won’t (seat post sizes can very drastically). The rear wheel spacing is likely 130mm but you need to verify everything. If you are looking at a more classic steel frame from the 80s or even early 90s be careful as you will have more compatibility issues as spacing is likely narrower for the rear hub etc.

Bottom line is you really need to know the details on what you have in order to determine what you can and cannot do with it. If your bike is complete and in good working order you may just be better off selling it as is and put that money toward a nice bike that fits you from the get go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The Felt has a triple?
    If original, that's a real old F-85 with an 8 speed rear, circa 2002-2003. In 2004-2006 they only made an F80 (also with a triple), then switched over to making an F-85 again with a double and 10 speed 105 shifters in 2007, and it's been a double in front w/105 since then. Those old ones had a 68mm english BB. You can get some specs here
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear....aspx?id=30321

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Search on Ebay for 54CM steel bike frame

Something like this would likely work - make sure it has 130 rear wheel spacing and english 68mm threaded bottom bracket.
    Honestly, I wouldn't bother though. It would be easier to sell the Felt locally and buy another complete 54 CM bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-UNI...4AAOSwTA9X2~Uf