RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Noob headset install

I bought a frameset and it was shipped without the fork installed of course. Iím trying to figure out what order the bearing gets installed in.
    The two bearings are the same P/N, and the bottom one is easy enough to figure out. The top bearing has 3 pieces, and a cover. Looks like the bearing, wedge, and another piece. Which order do these get installed in?

Googling pics of headsets, it looks like the bearing goes first, then the wedge, and then the piece under the cover. It doesn't seem to fit this way on my bike though.

Btw, the bike had this headset installed from new, so Iím pretty sure its the right one. Its an FSA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob headset install-8f620faa-116d-441e-b38e-1538d9f8d374.jpg  

'brifter' is a lame word.
    If you can't post photos correctly I'm really wondering if you're going to be able to install a headset and build a bike.

It looks like the silver part on the left is a crown race. That goes on the fork and requires special installation tools. You were correct about the bearing/split compression ring/top cover.

Don't forget grease. On everything.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Let me try this again. Stupid iphoneAttachment 322300

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    So the piece gets pressed onto the fork like this, and then the top bearing installs like thisAttachment 322301Attachment 322302

I don't know why it puts the pics sideways or upside down. They are not that way on my phone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Is it normal for a crown race to be removed for shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
    Is it normal for a crown race to be removed for shipping?
    Not 'removed' but not yet installed, sure. It would help to have a photo of the fork crown to know for sure, but that's definitely looking like a crown race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    The history of the frameset is it was used as a demo bike in a bike shop. They told me it was assembled for a while and then disassembled and put in the back room.

Is it possible they didnít fully assemble it? One thing I noticed, is the expander plug is still new in the package. Like maybe it was never installed.

I was looking at some pics online, and yes it definitely looks like a crown race. And the fork doesn't have an integrated one.

Sounds like it was never assembled.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Gotcha. Thanks for your help CX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Ok so I installed the crown race.

I have a question about the fork expander. The one I got with the frame is an Orbea expander. The drawing that comes with if recommends running the stem at the top of the steerer. So I would assume if you wanted to run it lower they want you to cut the steerer.

On my other bike I have the stem pretty much slammed, with a spacer between it and the top cap. I see a lot of bikes like this. I see a lot of guys who run weight weenie expanders that barely stick into the steerer tube. Iím not going to cut my steerer super low just in case I decide to sell the bike, or change the fit some day.

So whats up with the install drawing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Noob headset install-d3a6a6d8-4f62-45ce-af56-14f149666939.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The expanding portion of the plug should be in the area of the location of the clamp, not the gap between the upper and lower stem clamp. Installing it otherwise means, when you tighten the expander, it wil apply outward force on the steerer, and a carbon or aluminum steerer can't handle those forces or at least there's risk of future steerer failure.

From the photos it's hard to tell the design of the expander but, can you insert it lower than in the left side of the diagram so that it meets the requirements but allows you to install spacers above the stem? If not, perhaps try an expander with more flexible installation options.

Get a longer expander.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    So I have 50mm of steerer exposed above the bearing cover. My expander plug is 46mm long. My stem is 40mm tall. I plan on running the stem right on top of the bearing cover with some spacers between it and the top cap.

Any idea what length expander plug I should look for?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    OP, did you notice that some of your attachments are not showing up? I don't know why but RBR does this. So you need to edit your post and reattach your pics.

Regarding expander length. 50-52mm is about as long as I've seen them go. Your current one is 46mm, so that's about long enough, but hey a longer 52mm expander is better if you don't mind shelling out $25 bux. Just make sure that the stem is clamped into the steerer where the expander sits because the expander is in fact also acts as a structural part. That means you do not want to have anymore than about 5-10mm max of extra steerer sticking up above the top of the stem (that's what the second photo of the instruction manual that you posted is saying not to do).
    Last edited by aclinjury; 04-06-2018 at 06:41 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks ACL. Iíll try the expander plug I have right now and see how it looks.

Iíve been having some issues with posting pics. I do all my posting from my iphone. When I respond to a thread in the mobile version of RBR,it doesn't give me an option to post pics (or at least I haven't found it yet). So I switch over to the desktop version to post pics. Sometimes they show up upside down, other times they show up normal, and sometimes they show up as an attachment that I can see in the desktop version, but not the mobile version.

Iím still getting used to this forum format. Its a little different from the other forums I am on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
    Thanks ACL. Iíll try the expander plug I have right now and see how it looks.

Iíve been having some issues with posting pics. I do all my posting from my iphone. When I respond to a thread in the mobile version of RBR,it doesn't give me an option to post pics (or at least I haven't found it yet). So I switch over to the desktop version to post pics. Sometimes they show up upside down, other times they show up normal, and sometimes they show up as an attachment that I can see in the desktop version, but not the mobile version.

Iím still getting used to this forum format. Its a little different from the other forums I am on.
    some folks use the mobile app called "Tapatalk" to access RBR forum. This makes reading/posting on RBR easier. I have not used Tapatalk because I don't post from my phone, but you might wanna give it a go

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    some folks use the mobile app called "Tapatalk" to access RBR forum. This makes reading/posting on RBR easier. I have not used Tapatalk because I don't post from my phone, but you might wanna give it a go
    Ok I got Tapatalk. I have used it in the past with a different forum. They eventually upgraded their system and Tapatalk couldnít be used. Good to know I can use it here;)

Lets see if this pic is visable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk