Thread: Novara Divano

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Novara Divano

I am looking at buying an entry level road bike. REI has this bike for 15% off bringing the price to $680. The price definetly has me interested...

The components are what to be expected at this level of bike Tiagra and assorted nothing special parts. Does anyone have any experience with this bike? How does it compare to others in the price range like the specialized allez or giant ocr 3?

Also, does anyone have any idea of the weight of the bike? The Randonee by Novara comes in at 29lbs. That is insane I was hoping not to have a similar shock with this bike.

Thanks!

m_s
    oh lonesome road for you
    Tha Randonee is a steel touring bike with a rear rack and beefy wheels. Of course it's heavy, weight is not really a factor in the design of most touring bikes.

I'd guess around 21 pounds for the bike you dexcribed. My 'cross bike with Tiagra and decent but nothing special components is around 20 pounds with lightish tires and heavyish wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I just contacted REI, the weight is 22 lbs which is about right for bikes of this price range.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Did you end up buying this bike?

I am currenlty looking at a used 2007 Divano. Do you know where I can find specs on it. They don't have it on the REI site anymore.

The seller is also selling a womens 2007 Novara. Is there a site I can find 2007 Novara bike specs?

How do you like the bike if you got it?

Please help. I am looking for the spec of the bikes.

THANKS!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007

Divano

I just did a Google search and it looks like REI stopped producing the Divano? Seems strange that they just took themselves out of the entry level market but who am I to judge. From what I recall the components they were: Tiagra Rear deraileur, Tiagra brifters, sora front deraileur, tektro brakes (did not perform very well), alex 2200 (or some such number) wheelset. Overall the component group is better than anything else in the 800 dollar range (except maybe performance bike.

Ultimately I did not end up getting the bike. My primary reason was the ride. It was pretty rough and for the riding I do that (up to 200 miles per day) that was not going to cut it.

Also, I found a lot of complaints about the wheelset going out of true. I cannot substantiate the claims but I don't doubt it.

Below is an article I found on the bike.
    http://209.85.173.104/search?q=cache...nk&cd=10&gl=us

Overall, it is a good bike. If you plan on the occasional 25 mile ride and rides around town you would never feel the difference. If you get hooked and find yourself signing up for centuries you are going to start shopping for a new bike pretty fast. Since you are buying used my price point recommendations are
    300 or less- Go buy it (if it fits) any newish entry level bike for less than 300 is a steal
    400 tough call but worth it
    over 500- don't bother unless it was only used by a grandmother to get to church on sundays. REI runs 15% off deals on bikes from time to time. That makes the price 680 (plus tax)