Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstreelm View Post
    Love it!!

IMO This is the prettiest bike cannondale has ever made.

I have lusted after this blue frame for years
    ehh...gonna have to disagree with you there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Hey, I wonder if you Al lovers will answer a question for me, as I don't have enough posts to create a new thread! I think I might be a future Al lover, if that counts.

Here's my situation. I experimented with Al a couple of years ago by buying a Nashbar road frame when my steel frame broke. I swapped all the components over to the new one, and I actually really like the ride--it's smoother than the steel, which was very surprising after hearing so much about Al harshness and buzz. I've ridden two centuries on it with no problems.

But I don't like the short TT on the Nashbar. I've got my eye on an '05 Caad5, which would be altogether a higher performance frame. Question: with that racing-oriented frame, would I then find that the quality I like in the Nashbar would be replaced by mere stiffness, and maybe that dreaded punishing quality of Al so many people warn of? I don't need racing stiffness, but if it all comes out as a good feel for me, then why not.

I realize that bike feel is a subjective area, but I'd still value your opinions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Good to see an AL appreciation thread!

Here's my BMC SR02.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-bmc_hires_1.jpg   Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-bmc_hires_2.jpg   Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-bmc_hires_4.jpg   Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-bmc_hires_6.jpg   Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-bmc_hires_7.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    beautiful bikes!

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    Cheap and fun to ride. Just like your... eh never mind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-newbike.jpg  
    I hate you all

j/k lol kthxbye!

Defender of Freedom...
    My contribution. Hydroformed alloy, rides impressively well...lives at my in-laws.

It never gets easier. You just go faster. Greg LeMond

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I had an old 2003 Cannondale R2000. It was a great bike, fast light and snappy. Too bad I lost it in an accident with a car.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    One nice thing about aluminum is the fact that it can be recycled at the end of it's life. Could come back as soda cans ;)

I remember it wasn't too long ago when most bike makers had a top end AL frame in their lineup. Now AL seems to be relegated to entry level bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    This is my Parkpre Image Road. I nabbed the frame, Oval fork (look at those aero cutouts, sexy!), Rolf Sestriere wheels, stem, Ultegra crankset, and cassette for $250 at Veloswap . I've kitted it out with Ultegra throughout, with a DA rear derailleur. The tubing is scary thin. It's stiff as hell, and light (18.2lbs with pedals, 17.7lbs without) for an aluminum frame, but I can't understand how it rides as smoothly as some carbon bikes I've ridden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-camerazoom-20120309171703859.jpg  
    Last edited by Soundtallica; 03-15-2012 at 12:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fbagatelleblack View Post
    Aluminum ROCKS! It's light. It's stiff. It absorbs vibrations! And it's CHEAP! Which means that there are lots of marketing types who don't like it. But I love mine!

I just built my Cycles Valhalla 2XLT frame up with SRAM Rival components. I'll post those photos soon. For now, here are a few shots of the bike with some cheapo components on it that I had lying around.

Cheers,

FB
    Geez, that's an enormous bike. How tall are you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Been awhile since I visited this thread. Great bikes here, love the SystemSix. And beautiful pics of the BMC Streetracer!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    sweet rides. will have to come back and post a pic of my 66cm CAAD5. Only reasonable option I could find standing at 6'8". No regrets, had shops pushing me onto low 60cm carbon frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    2005 CAAD7 Ultegra 58 cm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-img_1418s.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Got new decals on my bike that I bet the people on this thread would enjoy. Everybody else, not so much. And I mean it too, my bike is as comfortable as all carbon bikes I've ridden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-camerazoom-20120416232048119.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member

Aluminum vs. Carbon. Old debate.

Hi- I'm looking to get a new/used bike. I'm looking to spend $1200 for a used bike. I'm not going to use it for conventional racing- I'm just racing the fancy Cervelo/Caad/BMC dudes in the park here in NYC. Anyway, I been bidding on all kinds of high-end bikes on Ebay but I keep going back in forth on whether to get a Orbea Euskaltel -type bike (scandium, Easton, 7003) OR carbon fiber Orbea Opal, Storck's, Blue Comps- types.

The question is high-end Aluminum including Caad 9s and 10s versus well made CF bikes for racing in the park. I like Aluminum cause I can abuse it more. But alot of dudes say if you're going to spend the money buy carbon- no brainer. Carbon is king.

On a different mission...
    Cannondale CAAD 9 and 10 is as good as many carbon bikes. If you want total bang-for-your-buck...the CAAD 10 knocks it completely out of the park....
    2007 Cannondale SystemSix1 - Full Dura Ace; Campagnolo Shamal Ultra SOLD

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seriously good to know- so in your humble opinion as the "Aluminum Guy" is go for a C-10 and skip trying to find a good deal on an olde Orbea, Prince SL , Merckx Team or Salsa Podio. -or an equal CF. I was trying to avoid the Caad's 'cause I see them everywhere REally everywhere in the NYC parks. I was trying to find something with more character- But I'm probably short changing myself - the reviews give'm 5 stars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Cool

My girlfriend's De Rosa alu +

anyone got info on this version??? seems pretty rare...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-dsc00638.jpg   Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-dsc00631.jpg   Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-dsc00634.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

Green Machine

Go for the CAAD.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Aluminum Lovers Thread-dsc_0348.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Hey There ronr, I do plenty of racing in the parks, a CAAD 10 is going to serve you real well (granted it might not be uber cool).
    In fact I was just in a shop in Brooklyn yesterday looking at some, if you can swing a few hundred more, you can walk into a shop with a brand new CAAD 10, full 105 etc.. out the door for around $1550.
    you won't have to worry about ebay, etc...
    BTW I will be racing in Prospect park this Saturday, so if you are there feel free to say hi.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678