RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Old Cervelo S3 vs New Pinarello Dogma F8

Will I have a noticeably better (eg. faster, smoother, climbier) riding experience if I forsake my 2009 Cervelo S3 with SRAM Red group set and Zipp 404 clincher wheels from that era, for a brand new 2016 F8 with SRAM Red group set and Zipp 303 NSW clinchers?

I知 worried that I will have spent a lot of money without much improving my lot in life.

I知 a fairly fit 160 lb 56 year old. I ride about 3 times per week, mainly 30-40km tempo type rides, moderately fast group rides of 75 to 125km, and the occasional medio gran fondo.

FWIW, I知 having no issues with the old bike, other than that the frame doesn稚 accommodate wider rims so I知 restricted to 23 tires. Call it a mid-life issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    no comment on the frames because I don't know but being restricted to 23mm is a big deal IMO.
    How are the road where you live? If they are anything but perfect I think you could benefit from using bigger tires and you'd greatly appreciate the ability.
    That being said if you're going to spend so much for the ability to use bigger tires I'd make sure you could use at least 28 (even if you rarely actually use them).

If you're totally happy with 23 and don't do any 'special' rides where you need a little more, then never mind. As a New Englander where the roads tend to suck and I have a lot of gravel options, being able to use 28 s a huge deal even if I don't actually use them often because there are also routes with good roads and 23 or 25 is fine for them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc444 View Post
    Will I have a noticeably better (eg. faster, smoother, climbier) riding experience if I forsake my 2009 Cervelo S3 with SRAM Red group set and Zipp 404 clincher wheels from that era, for a brand new 2016 F8 with SRAM Red group set and Zipp 303 NSW clinchers?

I知 worried that I will have spent a lot of money without much improving my lot in life.

I知 a fairly fit 160 lb 56 year old. I ride about 3 times per week, mainly 30-40km tempo type rides, moderately fast group rides of 75 to 125km, and the occasional medio gran fondo.

FWIW, I知 having no issues with the old bike, other than that the frame doesn稚 accommodate wider rims so I知 restricted to 23 tires. Call it a mid-life issue.
    dude, if you must ask this question, you already know what your heart desire. Sell the S3 and get the F8! Think of it as health motivation, and at 56, every guy can use some health motivator. Think of the F8 as preventative medicine, it keeps you healthy, and impart a positive outlook on life. Now go buy it.

Bonus: yes, the F8 handles and look world better than old Cervelos.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    doubtful but possible. if the pinarello fits you better it might, otherwise the answer depends on how much a new bike will motivate you.