RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014

Old Litespeed Fork

I just picked up an old litespeed arenberg for $500. Completely updated the groupset to 11 speed... have put about a grand into it at this point. Rides great, but would like to get a new fork on it. Has a 40mm rake fork on it now. Seems like my options are fairly limited in terms of buying a 40mm fork. Looks like enve is one of my only options at just under $400. Many forks out there with a 43mm rake are far more cost effective. Any advice? It's a 57, and I've attached the geometry from litespeedName:  4217940517_b07c6a6c2c_z.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2976.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  35.2 KB

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Before you buy a fork you'll want to measure yours from the center of the axle to the bearing seat on the crown. Fork leg length is just as important as getting a fork w/ the same offset (rake). You could end up w/ another 40mm offset fork but if the legs are 10-15mm longer it's going to feel like it has 45mm of offset.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Before you buy a fork you'll want to measure yours from the center of the axle to the bearing seat on the crown. Fork leg length is just as important as getting a fork w/ the same offset (rake). You could end up w/ another 40mm offset fork but if the legs are 10-15mm longer it's going to feel like it has 45mm of offset.
    Iím getting a measurement of about 343mm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Is that possible? Maybe more like 365...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 50mission View Post
    Is that possible? Maybe more like 365...
    He's right. It should be roughly between 361-371mm, based on a short reach brake of typical 39-49mm reach.

If your chart is correct and it's a 73 degree head angle, then a 43mm rake will be just as good as a 40mm rake, still imparting good stability to the handling. I would try to get a fork with the nearest axle-to-crown measurement as your existing fork.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    If the head tube is 1" then your choices are pretty limited. I think Ritchey still sells 1" carbon forks. I replaced the fork on my Litespeed with a Reynolds Ouzo Pro some years ago, but I don't think they make them anymore. Is the fork that's on the bike not ride well? The only reason I replaced mine was that it came with a Look HSC2 fork that was kind of a noodle. The stock Litespeed forks weren't all that bad. I don't think the steerer was carbon, so they might have been a little on the heavy side.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    99% sure itís a 1 1/8. Current fork is fine, just want to make sure Iíve got options in the future as that rake is becoming increasingly less common. Measured again and I think itís about 367mm does that sound right (axel to crown)? Is it absolutely necessary to match that measurement?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 50mission View Post
    Is it absolutely necessary to match that measurement?
    Get it as close as you can. Changing the fork length with change the head angle slightly. Combined with the fork rake, it can change the trail figure. It can lead to funny handling; not dangerous, but quirky. I experienced it.