Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

older high-tech vs new low/mid-range - on a budget, which is a better deal?

4K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  QuattroCreep 
#1 ·
Hi all,

New here, so I hope this is the right place to post.

Helping a friend research his first road bike purchase, I came across what seems to me to be two great $1000 options in his area: craigslist 2004 Trek 5900 SL reported to be in great shape with low miles (carbon frame, Shimano Dura-Ace groupset, $4800 MSRP back in 2004) or a LBS sale on a 2013 Trek Madone 2.1 (aluminum frame but supposedly similar geometry/aero-details as the higher-end Madones, Shimano 105 components).

I understand these are very different bikes, and everything would depend on the state of the craigslist bike, but assuming the 5900 was actually in great shape - which bike would you go for? (Other $1000 or less road-bike recommendations are also very welcome!)

I also know that my friend's choice must ultimately come down to whatever bike fits/feels right (and that buying a new bike from an LBS comes with the added benefit of getting a good fit right from the start), but I'm more curious about the general question - how would you rank 10-yr-old higher-end bike technology vs low- or mid-range today?

Very much a personal-curiousity question - my own first (and current) road bike was a $500 craigslist buy back in 2010, already 8 years old at the time but barely ridden (see user name - I gather it was a higher-end aluminum frame for it's time, race geometry I think, Ultegra components). I opted for it over the other bike I was considering, a new Trek 1.2 (Trek's near-entry-level road bike, Shimano Sora/Tiagra mix groupset). Maybe the Trek would have been more comfortable on long rides than the super-stiff Klein (but part of what won me over to the Klein - besides lower price - was it's responsiveness!), and I did have to spend extra to swap the saddle and handlebars to get a good fit, but I've never regretted my choice: I'm absolutely in love with my bike and it's needed very little work or parts replaced over the years (and a few thousand miles) of use. Not sure I can ever let go of it, but I might want to upgrade someday... (So I'm enjoying this research for my friend way more than I ought to - vicarious bike-shopping is fun!)

I'm fine with anyone telling me I made a terrible choice on my own bike purchase years ago, the feedback is helpful and it won't make me love my Klein any less :D, but I'd love to hear what people think about the general question: used higher-quality bikes vs new lower-end for those of us shopping on a tight budget? And more specifically, models my friend might consider - any info would be great, I've been learning so much through the process of helping him check out bikes. (And the roadbikereview forums have been a fantastic place to learn for people like me getting more into this sport, thank you all!)

See less See more
#5 ·
+1 on the new frame with warranty and the new components. For a new rider it is all-around a safer option, and as kiwisimon noted if the bug bites a newer better bike will follow.

You can get a good idea about the Madone here for the 2015 model. The 105 groupset has evolved a bit, but the frame will be the same.

Reactions: kiwisimon
#6 ·
I'm going to be the bad boy here, I would go with the older bike IF the carbon frame has been thoroughly checked out to be in excellent shape. The new bike is a aluminium frame and those do fatigue out, how fast they fatigue out depends on rider weight and miles put on. Warranty doesn't mean squat, look the components on the new bike will be warrantied for only a year and even cheap Sora will have no problems passing that! So what about the warranty on the frame? Most manufactures will hassle you like crazy and then not pay for a frame because of the exclusion...what exclusion you scream? normal wear and tear is not covered thus if the AL frame cracks they will simply say it's normal wear and tear due to fatigue and thus your not covered.

I've bought used bikes without ever an issue, in fact my main touring bike I bought 4 years ago and it was built in 85, I would have no more concern riding that bike across the USA then I would buying a new bike to do the trip! Oh, I don't have a warranty...oh no!!!

#7 · (Edited)
I'm going to be the bad boy here,
Me too...

I would go with the older bike IF the carbon frame has been thoroughly checked out to be in excellent shape. The new bike is a aluminium frame and those do fatigue out, how fast they fatigue out depends on rider weight and miles put on.
All due respect, fatigue out in who's life time of use even if 15 years or more. Unless rider weight is 275+ lb. My friend has cracked more AL frames well before fatigued out. [see comment below on waranty]

Warranty doesn't mean squat, ....... So what about the warranty on the frame? Most manufactures will hassle you like crazy and then not pay for a frame because of the exclusion...
I worked at a Spesh shop, and never saw a warranty refused. I personally have had one refused by Trek on a Klein, paint issue. 15 years later and a lot of high end Plastic and Ti bikes later, they loose. Foolish decision on someones part. And as much as I think treks offerings are excellent, I have that aversion $$ wise. Won't give them my money, but personal to be sure.

As to my huge friend and his third frame replaced [by Spesh] after he cracked another... ;) And I have more friends and riding acquaintances that have had good warranty experiences than bad by several magnitude. Reading sheit on the internets on how so and so got screwed and screams about it, another total story. Like the crash[es] not getting mentioned on the threads as one example. Everyone paint a picture perhaps....

I've bought used bikes without ever an issue, in fact my main touring bike I bought 4 years ago and it was built in 85, I would have no more concern riding that bike across the USA then I would buying a new bike to do the trip! Oh, I don't have a warranty...oh no!!!
Self justification perhaps, which I totally can identify with BTW. Out of 15+ bikes I have one frame and one bike [that frame] with lifetime warranty. You can buy a few used when you shop right for the price of a new one.

My number one is a 2009 Scott Addict LTD. $7k MSRP new. Used and apparently mint for under 600.00. I will take the chance, I did. Been riding it for two going into 3rd season, and it is holding up, and holding me up. ;)

EDIT: My vote goes for the new bike, You loose a 8 Speed DA STI and you are going to be off line for a while, so to speak. And as said, if the chain cassette, rings unless as new can be a non starter easily.

#8 ·
If the old bikes is in good nick, I would go with that. I have an old Trek 5200 year 2000 model, rides just as good has my 2 year Bianchi Sempre. Different but just as good.

#9 ·
New bike. If the seller is going that low on a 2004 it probably needs a lot of new parts... so the cost of getting road worthy has to be factored in.

#10 ·
Which one fits better? If equal, which one looks cooler? Seriously, it's the one that is more likely to get ridden.

Otherwise, I'd chose the 5900 between the two if it was "ready to go" with low miles and no replacements needed. It was a great frame - solid, light, less wooden feeling than the older OCLV frames, and superior to Trek aluminum of any vintage in my opinion. I'm not an aluminum hater either as my favorite bike is a 1999 Klein. Also take everything I say with a grain of salt as Treks don't fit me all that well, nor is their neutral race geometry particularly exciting...but it seems to work for some pretty talented dudes!

It is true that component "technology" trickles down over time, but the relative "quality" often stays the same between groups. I have always felt a striking difference between Dura Ace and Ultegra shifters in particular, regardless of vintage. Many riders still reminisce about DuraAce 7800 and feel that the overall accuracy and durability/no fuss has yet to be matched by any other mechanical group. 7800 is better than modern 105 any day. Will it make your new riding buddy any faster? No.

There are benefits to having a shop relationship with a good shop. They can't compete with Craig's List or european websites, but will provide a level of service and availability that your friend probably needs. Buy the Craig's List bike if it seems to be the superior option, but be prepared to pay the shop for their time when he needs help, and when your friend is looking for his next bike, be sure to give them the opportunity to sell one.

#11 ·
This is always a tough call. IF you know bikes and have experience than I would look hard at the used one. If it is the right size and is ride ready, than I would strongly consider it.
if it is a first bike, I would go new. You get a fit and that has to be factored in. You can always get the used bike fit as well but that ads to the price. If it comes with pedals that is a plus. If you are not comfortable wrenching and you have some problems with the used one it takes away from your experience and can discourage riding.
I remember making this same call on my first road bike. I settled on a new one and it was the right call. The bike was fit right and that is simply nice. My experience resulted in me loving the sport and led to another bike later.

#12 ·
I disagree with the warranty, I've been haunting bike forums for years, and I've been riding bikes for 40 years with some close friends who worked for LBS's and getting a frame warranty takes almost an act of God. Now I knew a guy who had a Vitus who broke the frame after just 6 months and Vitus replaced it not once but 3 times, so warranties can work but once you get outside the first year it becomes increasingly more difficult as the years go by to get it replaced. Think about it, I have an 84 Trek 660 I bought brand new in 1984 and still have the receipt and lifetime warranty...problem is, that bike is a steel lugged frame bike and Trek no longer makes that stuff so what will they warranty it with? Some cheap aluminium bike to replace a 2nd from the top of line frame they offered back then? Trek wouldn't even remotely consider warranting that frame, they would say I had the bike since 84 and I wore it out. Same with a new bike, you buy that bike and in 5 years that frame is obsolete and and used so no warranty for you.

#13 ·
Thanks all! I feel silly for it but the warranty is actually something I hadn't thought to factor in... And it's a good point that if a used bike ends up needing a lot of additional work, that could very well be the thing to discourage a new rider from getting out there! I won't be there to help my friend check these bikes out, nor would I consider myself to be someone who "knows bikes" well enough to catch all the possible problems (esp with a carbon frame) anyway; good points, and it's great to hear so many perspectives on the new vs used question.

#14 ·
I may have mis read a mention of 8 speed Dura Ace on the 2004. If the 2004 has 7800 and it is leaning low use and has a long window of serviceability, maybe a good choice. But personally I would have to see/touch/taste/ride it myself prior to a purchase...

OTOH if it is like the Madone 4.5 with 105/5600 I got for my wife that needed cassette, chain, chain rings and had quite a bit of hard/put away wet rides for it's life. I only offered 300 bucks for it, another story. And I had the used parts in good shape at home to toss on already...

#15 ·
Fit being equal and price being comparable, my take would be that the decision depends on the "lifetime of a generation" and compatibility.

I started with a 2006 TCR with 6600, in 2010. This was on the eve of 5700/6700/7900, but everything except brakes and shifters were still pretty cross-compatible. SRAM and Shimano cassettes could also mix. Add that I could exploit a "Srampagnolo" mix, and there was really no need to ever need a new generation of parts. The frame only got swapped out due to sizing preference.

Right now, with 11-speed introduced, and my current bike starting to turn into too much of an investment to keep running for its worth (really not much sentimental value), I'm looking towards a full transition to a new bike. IMO it makes zero sense to invest into a replacement 10-speed bike unless it's a bargain.

BUT if I were someone flat-out looking for a first bike, current Tiagra actually isn't a bad option right now and perhaps the smartest one. Who knows if you're gonna be crash prone or quit on the sport in a few months? 10-speed stuff is still readily available in that timeframe, and the quality of the group has gone way up from what I've heard. Warranty like already mentioned just puts the option of a current bike way over.

Only way I could look at an older bike as an experienced rider or n00b, is if I really had sentimental liking for a certain frame...like a USPS or Discovery Madone, T-Mobile TCR, lugged Colnago, American-made CAAD, etc

so tl;dr - If I was considering a new bike as someone experienced, 11 speed or bust. If I was new to the sport without knowing I'd stick to it, Tiagra or even Apex is arguably the best for the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.