RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Opera Canova vs Guerciotti Cartesio Framesets

I had a fit done recently by a very reputable "fit guy" who stocks all high end bikes. After the fit, he said that there were only a few frames (of the ones he works with) that truly fit my body geometry - the Guerciotti Cartesio and the Opera Canova. Does anyone have experience with either of these two frames - which one would you recommend given the choice?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Canova is the same frame as the Pinarello F4:13.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Smile

Hey Bianchi67 - thanks for the reply. I had heard that once before and was just at my local bike shop who carries both Pinarello and Opera. I can definietly say that, at least for the two frames that I looked at, they are very different. I believe they were both 2008 or 2009. The Pinarello, for example has a wide aero down tube while the Canova downtube is rounder and has the Opera "dimples/wrinkles" in it. The Pinarello top tube get narrower near the head tube while the Opera does the opposite. etc. etc. So I think that the idea that they are the same may have been the case some years ago, but it does not seem to be that way now. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am wrong with the F4:13 thing, brain fart I guess.

The Canova and the Leonardo (both Opera) were the same molds with the Leonardo using higher grade carbon. Both were similar to the Pinarello Paris Carbon without the external pleasure ribs.

Opera was part of Pinarello. I don't think Pinarello has produced any Opera branded bikes since 2007. And not to be confussed with the Pinarello Opera which was a steel/carbon frame.

from http://www.gitabike.com
    Opera was born in 1998 as an idea of Fausto Pinarello. The mission was to create a new brand that was experimental, that sought new frontiers in bicycle design with carbon fibre, new tube shapes, new manufacturing techniques and new technologies.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Smile

Opera does have an 2008 catalog on-line at operabike.com so I guess they're still making them. And yes, the Canova and the Leonardo are from the same mold - assuming you are talking about models in the same model year. Do you know anything about the Guerciotti Cartesio?

dropped!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Schneider
    I had a fit done recently by a very reputable "fit guy" who stocks all high end bikes. After the fit, he said that there were only a few frames (of the ones he works with) that truly fit my body geometry - the Guerciotti Cartesio and the Opera Canova. Does anyone have experience with either of these two frames - which one would you recommend given the choice?

what exactly is it about your body that will only fit these frames?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Smile

It's somewhat of a mystery to me as well - but the bike shop I am using has a top reputation for fitting people to frames. They take a slew of different measurements of my body, talk to me about the kind of riding I do, and then put them into a computer program that has the dimensions of the different frames they carry. Based on the criteria they use, the computer tells them which frames are the best fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008

Smile

OK - let me modify my question - does anyone out there have first hand experience riding the Opera Canova? Does anyone know someone who has the Canova and knows what they think of it?