Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10

    Options for first aero carbon bike

    First of all, this is not intended to be a troll seeking thread, I've read a fair share of the chinese carbon thread and understand the risk involved in it. So i would appreciate an unbiased opinion in this matter and not just straight off telling me its unsafe and etc.

    Consider my circumstances, I am a lowly student that take part in races occasionally, but generally riding for fitness and seeing how fast I could go.

    I'm planning to upgrade to the first carbon road bike from my aluminium road bike (served me for 4 years now) with shimano 105 parts which weighs around 10kg.

    So here's the question, Should i ever consider chinese carbon (from a reputable source) or just bite the bullet and get a merida reacto 4000 or somewhere along those lines (giant propel or etc)

    I have a budget of 1800-2000 USD. (but more savings is definitely better)

    p.s. I apologise if this has been asked before (i just want an updated opinion on this matter for the year of 2017)
    Last edited by avria; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:13 AM.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: kiwisimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,930
    I bought a Chinese carbon frame on alibaba about three years ago. I wanted cheap as I have good steel and Ti bikes but for races and group rides I wanted a lighter throw away frame. The thing is I really like the light weight and feel of it. I bought a slightly older model on close out with no cosmetic touches, just a bare frame and fork with seat post and headset for about $380 shipped to my door and don't regret a cent of it. But know the risks and be don't have high expectations. Buying a "name" brand secondhand is another option for you. Are you going to transplant the parts across and then update as they wear out? It's what I normally do.
    here are the before and after shots of the bike. slightly different cockpit now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Options for first aero carbon bike-unnamed.jpg   Options for first aero carbon bike-img_4799.jpg  

  3. #3
    is riding in MOPP4
    Reputation: Tachycardic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    655
    First, make sure that an aero bike is what you want. Aero bikes will weigh more than lightweight bikes, but hold their speed better, thus making them faster overall, unless you're climbing lots of hills. See here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9mzy4lg2A0

    If you are more concerned with weight, then the Scultura is probably what you want. That being said, the Reacto is a very nice ride.

    As for Chinese carbon...there are many happy riders on these. I'm not going to tell you which way to go, but buy from a reputable dealer. What's nice about buying a Chinese frame is that it will probably be cheaper to build up (assuming you have the necessary tools) and you can personalize it by installing whatever parts you want.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    I bought a Chinese carbon frame on alibaba about three years ago. I wanted cheap as I have good steel and Ti bikes but for races and group rides I wanted a lighter throw away frame. The thing is I really like the light weight and feel of it. I bought a slightly older model on close out with no cosmetic touches, just a bare frame and fork with seat post and headset for about $380 shipped to my door and don't regret a cent of it. But know the risks and be don't have high expectations. Buying a "name" brand secondhand is another option for you. Are you going to transplant the parts across and then update as they wear out? It's what I normally do.
    here are the before and after shots of the bike. slightly different cockpit now.

    Thanks for the honest feedback mate, appreciate it.

    Well I do plan to transfer my parts first and slowly upgrade it as I go, the 5700 i bought 2nd hand is starting to see some wear, the alum bike that i bought came with some microshift groupset that drove me mad as i had to tune in every 2-3 rides.

    yeah it is that aspect of chinese carbon caused me to think twice, as I am a rather tall guy (1.96m) i do put down a fair bit of power during sprints. but that's as far as my expectation goes.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    First, make sure that an aero bike is what you want. Aero bikes will weigh more than lightweight bikes, but hold their speed better, thus making them faster overall, unless you're climbing lots of hills. See here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9mzy4lg2A0

    If you are more concerned with weight, then the Scultura is probably what you want. That being said, the Reacto is a very nice ride.

    As for Chinese carbon...there are many happy riders on these. I'm not going to tell you which way to go, but buy from a reputable dealer. What's nice about buying a Chinese frame is that it will probably be cheaper to build up (assuming you have the necessary tools) and you can personalize it by installing whatever parts you want.
    I've done a fair bit of research and fairly certain that aero is the way to go given that my location has little elevations.

    thanks mate, appreciate your thoughts on it. but if you were to choose with my current circumstances, what will be your choice?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by avria View Post
    my location has little elevations.
    .
    .
    but if you were to choose with my current circumstances, what will be your choice?
    If it's windy often, aero frame.

  7. #7
    is riding in MOPP4
    Reputation: Tachycardic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    655
    Quote Originally Posted by avria View Post
    I've done a fair bit of research and fairly certain that aero is the way to go given that my location has little elevations.

    thanks mate, appreciate your thoughts on it. but if you were to choose with my current circumstances, what will be your choice?
    You're a student. Cheap is the way to go, unless you want to eat ramen and spam for the next few years. Check out the Dengfu R06. You can get it for about $600.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

Similar Threads

  1. New Aero Wheelset - Options under Consideration
    By MTBDad in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 09:16 PM
  2. six carbon 3 fork options
    By Linga115 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-19-2009, 02:42 PM
  3. Carbon frame options
    By dansjustchillin in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 06:07 AM
  4. Better Racing Investment: Semi-Aero Powertap SL vs. Deep Aero Carbon?
    By CycloneRunner in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-15-2006, 07:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •