Converted Runner

Pedal Force ZX3 vs Cannondale CAAD9 4 ???

Hi all, long time lurker, rare poster.

Long story short, my old ride (2007 Argon 18 Krypton) got wrecked in a crash. Due to the lack of a good manufacturer crash replacement deal, I'm taking the components off of it and saving them for a cross bike (to be purchased some time before next season). In the meantime, I need a new roadie. I don't have a large budget (preferably below $2 000) but I want/need a race-worthy bike, preferably with SRAM. Hence the two options stated in the title. For reference, I am 5'11", 165 lbs (in-season racing weight), and am more of a time trialist than a climber or sprinter.

I'm well aware that the PF is carbon, has a taller HT (by 5mm... big difference, I know), shorter TT... basically less racy geometry. I like that both bikes come with SRAM (full rival on the ZX3, force crank & tektro brakes on the CAAD), have a relatively nondescript paint scheme (BBQ matte black C'dale, naked carbon ZX3), and, at least up where I live, are not "a dime a dozen".

I would just get the ZX3 promo deal frameset + gruppo (and seat post), and scour eBay for other components (bonus: I get to spec the bike with stuff I like/want instead of swapping out the stock stuff). The CAAD9 would see a change of saddle, wheels, and maybe bars. It seems to me that the ZX3 is the better buy - geometry closer to my old bike, which fit me very well (even though I can't ride it before I buy it), plus I can spec it out the way I want. The upside of the CAAD is potentially the final price, the backing of a bike shop (although the closest C'dale dealer is a 2hr drive away), and the BB30 Force crank.

I know there are a million of these threads, but I can't simply just ride them both and see which fits me better (thank you PF). I guess I'm just hoping some people have experience with either bike and can chime in on their relative merits (yes I know the C'dale is a great crit bike, but what else?).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    C'Dale may be a better option for racing just due to crashing and being aluminum. For the money the CAAD 9 is pretty great, and if you don't absolutely need carbon fiber is great.
    I've only heard good things about the Pedal Force bikes. Can't go wrong with either choice.

Impulse Athletic Coaching
    I'll add to the "only good things heard about pedal force" comment.

I own the ZX3 -- 2 years now. I love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    depending on when you need it ready, I'd consider buying a frame from pedalforce or on ebay then scour ebay/internet for parts. With some patience you can find great prices on stuff. To toss another option out there, Rossetti has some killer deals on sram bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Im in the same boat. But im going to go with a BBQ 9-4. Im just not big on full carbon. The 9-4 is tried and true. That and for 1700 its hard to beat. Rival calipers will go on the day i pick it up though. Wheels later with a red cassette and ill be good to go for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I have the Scattante CFR which is, essentially, the Pedal Force ZX3. I just upgraded to Ultegra 6700 shifters and have a pair of Neuvations (SL5 Front, SL6 Rear). I have also upgraded to FSA K-Force Bars and an OS-99 stem. I'm 6' and 200lbs and I love this bike in all applications. It climbs better than I do and screams on the flats. I can ride it hard or cruise all day. It's light but not Tarmac SL3 light with good lateral stiffness. The handling is quick but sure. My friend is about your size and feels the same way about his. In summary, get the Pedal Force. I think you'll like it.