RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001

PedalForce RS3 riders out there?

So in the SL3 thread I got some great suggestions but the great Carbon frames with the tapered head-tubes and beefy BB run anywhere from $1500. to $6K. At last nights crit I was looking at people's Tarmacs and a Colnago and thinking no way I could bring that kind of money to a Cat 4 race. One pile up and you could be out some serious cash.

Another poster liked his RS3 from Pedalforce. For $750. or so according to the web-site it looks like a good deal. Unfortunately I can't see or test ride one here in Colorado, they're based in Conneticut. They do have a 21 day return policy unbuilt , so bad news is you can't build it up/ride it then decide to return it.
    My current AL bike is actually fine, but we were accelerating out of the last downhill portion of the course last night at 35 and while I wouldn't call my bikes handling unstable you do feel the front end floating around while turning at that speed.
    A quick search shows some very postitive feedback from owners of the original RS, and that was 2007 so the company has survived a brutal economic depression and that's very encouraging too. So what's the scoop on this rig, how many of you tried the new RS3?
    "Pee-wee Herman loved his bicycle more than life itself"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I'm a bikeforums transplant and know they did a group buy with this bike and there's an entire thread dedicated to everyone that got one that goes on for about 15 pages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    I live in CO and have had the RS2 for a couple of years now. I was wary about buying before trying but their fit calculator put me on a 55cm which was perfect. The bike is super light and fast. PF answered all of my questions and were great when I had a warranty issue. I would not hesitate to get another one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    well searched on bikeforums for both Pedalforce and Pedalforce RS3 and not much useful info. Seems like all the "group buy" threads are for older frames a few years back- 2009.
    At $799. not including the fork it starts to look like not such a great deal. Not even sure of the prices, the graphics on the web-site don't seem to load well and a lot of the "buttons" for putting stuff into a shopping cart are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by AkbarnJeff View Post
    I live in CO and have had the RS2 for a couple of years now. I was wary about buying before trying but their fit calculator put me on a 55cm which was perfect. The bike is super light and fast. PF answered all of my questions and were great when I had a warranty issue. I would not hesitate to get another one.
    I'm guessing you didn't pay the guess-timated current $1K frame/fork price?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I bought the RS3 when Pedal Force was doing the group buy last year. I have only put maybe 500 miles on it since I built it up so I don't know how much feedback I can give you.

The RS3 rides nice although there was a little flex in the rear (I weigh 175 - 185lbs). Overall I am very happy with this frame and the price can't be beat.

Just ordered some new wheels so hopefully I will get some mileage on my bike

I can't post links. Can someone embed for me?

hxxp://imageshack.us/f/62/20110614131203947.jpg/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Foobar25 View Post
    The RS3 rides nice although there was a little flex in the rear (I weigh 175 - 185lbs). Overall I am very happy with this frame and the price can't be beat.
    that's not good, I consider 185 a medium weight rider. For $1000. frame/fork the rear triangle should not be flexing under 185 pounds IMHO.
    Looks like I might just have to pony up the extra dough for a Spec, Ridley, or other pro level frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I was the guy in the other thread who suggested the RS3, so I'll take this chance to shill a little more for it. (I'm certainly not a representative of the company, just a satisfied customer.)

I've put probably 300-400 miles in 4 weeks on the frame so far. I've raced it 8 times in that time period, mostly criteriums (USAC category 4 and finishing mid-pack or leading out my team's sprinter most races). I'm 161 lbs in race shape, 170 in the off season. One of the biggest draws of the RS3 was its long top-tube for its size. I have a longer torso and relatively shorter legs, so other brands with roughly equal top tube and seat tube dimensions were not a good fit for me. The size '55cm' frame (58.3cm top tube) fits me great, even though all the bikes I test rode fit best at 58cm.

Stiffness has been quite acceptable so far. I've never felt like the frame was robbing me of power in out-of-the-saddle efforts yet, neither climbing nor sprinting. Vertical stiffness is a bit more than other frames I have test ridden, especially compared to the Madone 5-series. I consider this a good thing, since I prefer a bit more road feel. It's definitely not the most comfortable carbon frame available.

Front end stiffness is phenomenal. The headtube protrusion aft of a traditional headtube helps connect the down- and top-tubes and improves stiffness in addition to the effects of the 1.5"-1.125" tapered steerer. Again, I haven't felt like the frame was holding me back in power transfer yet.

A week ago I received my Bicycle Wheel Warehouse Blackset Race 10 wheelset to replace my 4-year-old Easton Circuit wheelset. The BWW's have a 3-cross rear spoke pattern, compared to the 2-cross DS/radial NDS lacing on the Circuit rear wheel. The BWW also has 28 spokes rear compared to 24 on the Circuits. Long story short, this wheelset is noticeably stiffer in power transfer and what little flex I did feel when first riding the bike is gone now. It's stiff enough in the rear end that if I'm not careful with my weight distribution when out of the saddle on flats, the rear wheel will skip back and forth on the road. I think this is a "good" thing and an indication of the positive effects of stiffness, but I could be wrong here.

You said you didn't like your current bike's unstable handling at speed. I can say that after a handful of criteriums on this bike I've been quite satisfied with the handling in turns. I have a 140mm stem on mine, so that might contribute to some of the stability I feel (long stem should make the bike handle a little "slower" or less twitchy). It's stable enough that I can watch the sketchy riders around me and easily correct my line mid-turn to avoid them. That may just as easily be a product of a solid stem/steerer/fork/front wheel as it is of the frame though.

Probably the best compliment I can give the bike though is this. Go test ride a Tarmac SL2 and see if you like that frame. If you like it, you'll like the RS3, since the geometry, handling, and stiffness are incredibly similar.

p.s. - From the picture Foobar25 linked, it looks like he is riding Bontrager Race X Lite wheels. If you look on RBR reviews for that wheelset you'll find a few people complaining of flex or lack of strength. That could be a major factor in the rear-end flex Foobar25 feels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    I've only felt the flex a couple times in about 500mi of riding and it occurred when I hit bumps/rough patches of road not when sprinting. Maybe flex isn't the right term for what I am experiencing? Like Krackor said, I don't notice any loss of power or inefficiency from pedaling. This is the first and only carbon frame I've ridden so I can only compare it to my Trek 1500 which has an aluminum frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    This thread is useless without pics so come on guys pics please

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    You'll have to tolerate my terrible camera phone...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PedalForce RS3 riders out there?-0615110140-00.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Nice, very nice what is the size of the frame? 56, 58?
    I see that the frame is ISP (INTEGRATED SEAT POST) but how I didn't see it in the web site.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Nice bike Krackor. I don't think they had ISP when I bought mine. How much does it weigh?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I originally ordered the non-ISP version of the frame, but a few days after ordering it I got an email from PF saying they were out of the standard frame but had some ISP frames that I could have instead if I didn't want to wait for restocking. I was kind of upset by that, and while the sizing ended up working out fine it is still not as versatile as a standard frame would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Krackor
    The size '55cm' frame (58.3cm top tube) fits me great,
    It's a size 55, which has the dimensions of a traditional 58.

According to subtraction weighing on my imprecise bathroom scale, I think it is right about 16 lbs with both bottle cages on. I could probably lose 100g if I got a better seat mast (the one provided by PF is crap - too heavy and needs to be overtorqued to keep from slipping in all three degrees of freedom). I could also drop a good 400g if I splurged on a carbon tubular wheelset, but that is expensive enough that I think the 15 lb goal is out of my budget!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by draganM View Post
    well searched on bikeforums for both Pedalforce and Pedalforce RS3 and not much useful info. Seems like all the "group buy" threads are for older frames a few years back- 2009.
    At $799. not including the fork it starts to look like not such a great deal. Not even sure of the prices, the graphics on the web-site don't seem to load well and a lot of the "buttons" for putting stuff into a shopping cart are missing.

Paid $1200 or so for frame/fork and Rival gruppo

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by draganM View Post

Missed this part before.

The best way to shop on their website is to use their generic configuration tool found under "Products->Custom Configured Bicycles->User Configuration". Their website usually has some lag in loading new pages for me too, but I guess that is one of the overhead costs they are avoiding to keep prices low!