RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007

Pegoretti: Marcelo or Duende?

My family's CFO has given me permission to blow my next 5 years' pocket money on one of Dario Pegoretti's frames. The question now is... which one?

I'm 42, 185 lbs and built like a sprinter. I'm not planning to race any more and am intending to get the frame for summer centuries. I used to row internationally, so am in fairly good shape, but also once fell 300 foot off a mountain in an avalanche. While I'm largely okay I've found I'm now very sensitive to road vibration. I need a plush ride with a capital P.

Dario (yes, he emails back if you ask him) reckons the Marcelo is better because the rear triangle's stiffer so helps sprinting. My LBS reckons the Duende is better as it's more comfy with smaller stays, so I'll be able to last longer. I can't afford both...

Anyone know of these and which might be the better one to get?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    185lbs how tall?

If sensitive to road vibration get the Duende it will be still enough. he makes them exactly the same geo. get some road tubeless or tubulars or just run 25c's or hell 28c's and ride into tomorrow with a smile miles long...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    5' 10". I've recently gone back to tubulars and frankly, not going back!

Thanks for the advice, I've got the chance to try a Duende so will ride that before putting down the cash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    If you've asked Dario, himself, and he's given you an answer, I would absolutely go with his recommendation. It's the very best resource you have. He knows his frames better than anybody else in the world, and has filled thousands of orders for discriminating cyclists.

If you don't mind, please keep us apprased. What is his lead time? What Paint scheme?

And for what it's worth.....I'm jealous.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Shoulder View Post
    If you don't mind, please keep us apprased. What is his lead time? What Paint scheme?

And for what it's worth.....I'm jealous.
    Apparently the Duende and Marcelos are 9 - 10 months apparently, but the stainless steel frames are a lot longer because he can't get his hands on the tubes so easily.

I'm actually thinking about the ciavete scheme. I know it's a chunk more money, but for a custom-one off that's entirely unique, it's actually not so bad. The guy at the LBS did say it was a brave choice, though.

I'll keep you updated. Will send pics once it's arrived...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    I am 6'2" at 168 lbs and ride a Big Leg Emma. It is not too stiff for me, and I am not a sprinter. I would not be afraid of a Marcelo being too stiff, and I agree that following Dario's suggestion would be a good idea. Aside from all of the discussions about his paint jobs, the magic of the bike is the ride. Hope you love yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    I have a 8:30 am its one of his older aluminum frames and its no too stiff for me. I love the bike!!!!!