Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008

Pics of my RS2 finally

*Edit: See below for updated pictures (wheels, seatpost, etc)

finally got the RS2 built. although im still waiting on a few parts to replace (see below).

heres whats on it now...

Frame: Pedal Force RS2 (medium) - 1039g on the scale
    Fork: Pedal Force - 370g on the scale
    Headset: Ritchey carbon pro, extra carbon spacers
    Bars: Bontrager (will be replaced)
    Stem: Easton EA70 (will be replaced)
    Tape: Profile (replaced)
    Wheels: Shimano 560 (replaced)
    Tires: Pro2
    Saddle post: Kalloy super heavy (replaced)
    Saddle: Fizik Arione (replaced)

Sram group: all Force except shifters, cassette (11-27), and cranks (not bb).

Full red (except bottom bracket) may be coming soon as well though.

parts that are on its way to replace current parts:

Easton EC90 SLX bars
    Easton EC90 SLX fork
    Easton EC90 stem

I am ordering a Thompson Masterpeice post at work tomorrow which will drop almost 0.5 lbs (~200g).

I will probably go with a SLR carbonio flow saddle (~100g saved)

Still stuck on wheels though. my current set weighs 1900g and im tired of truing shimano wheels. I almost got EA90 slx wheelset but they werent available. Now I'm trying to figure out what customs to build or completes (looking for sub 1500g set, aluminum clincher), dont want Kysriums though, too stiff.

With the current parts list its right at 16.5 lbs. Wheels will drop about a pound, seatpost almost half a pound. with the few other parts im replaced it will easily be under 15lbs I believe.

When I get the new bars in I was gonna use red Fizik bar tape but now I dont know if I want to do red hoods with matching red tape (sram) or maybe even black hoods/tape with red saddle. Ill have to see how it looks with the new fork first I guess.

I love how it rides. Super stiff, and light, as well as comfortable. I'm coming from riding an 80s steel Schwinn for the past 3 years (upgraded to 10speed with downtube shifters though). I've also put a lot of miles on a Scott Speedster with Campy Centaur (still a huge upgrade it feels like).

Sram group is amazing. Red shifters are unbelievable. I knew Sram was right for me the first time I test road a repair bike with Force. The chain is a little noisy running along the cassette, but I could care less since I ride with headphones. I've heard a Shimano chain makes some of the noise go away though.
    Last edited by david462; 08-11-2008 at 05:39 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    resizing pics... ill post them next post

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    k heres the pics... sorry they were taken from my cell phone but when i get it built up right ill use a better camera. as always it looks better in person (cant wait for the seat post and wheels though)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics of my RS2 finally-072408_1912%5B02%5D.jpg   Pics of my RS2 finally-072408_1914%5B00%5D.jpg   Pics of my RS2 finally-072408_1915%5B00%5D.jpg   Pics of my RS2 finally-072408_1915%5B01%5D.jpg   Pics of my RS2 finally-072408_1915%5B02%5D.jpg  

I Am a Meat Popsicle
    nice!!!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2002

Great looking bike, but....

Why not a Black seatpost? That would have looked killer.
    In a way, each of us has an El Guapo to face. For some, shyness might be their El Guapo. For others, a lack of education might be their El Guapo. For us, our El Guapo is the actual El Guapo who is a big, dangerous man that wants to kill us.

Cpark
    Quote Originally Posted by El Guapo
    Why not a Black seatpost? That would have looked killer.
    +1.
    Also it begging for a set of red hood and a saddle...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    i was using the seatpost pictured just until my Easton post came in. it was just a cheapo we had at the shop. actually i got it today and it looks much better. also put red Pro3 tires on it!

yes red hoods are in the works. i do want a red saddle as well, although i think i want the SLR carbonio flow (white or black). maybe the regular SLR will work for me but i havnt ridden that one yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I'm think about buying one of these. Let me know what you think after a few rides.

Thanks!

Ray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by raymonda
    I'm think about buying one of these. Let me know what you think after a few rides.

Thanks!

Ray
    actually ive ridden it a few time already. i have close to 100 miles so far.

i could say its light, stiff, handles well, blah blah blah. im probably not the best at writing reviews. however, yes its light, stiff, and handles awesome.

all i can say is for the money, you cant go wrong. for $800 you get full carbon and it weighs a lot less than most name brand carbon frames that go for a lot more $$$. you will pay a little more building it part by part though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by david462
    blah blah blah.
    is right. It's nice you like your new bike, but hardly special enough to be sharing. At least we now know there's an even cheaper plastic featherweight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    If your not interested then don't waste the space and our time telling us so. Just move on to something else.

I, for one, am interested and have heard some very nice things about these frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been riding/racing on one since mid-April (a 58cm one in the unpainted carbon version), averaging about 20 hours/week on it. It's a very impressive all-round frame. It is light and climbs well, is stiff (but not uber-stiff) and sprints well, tracks through corners in crits nicely, is stable on descents and can be pushed through corners as hard as I'd want to push any frame. I've hit 58mph and its felt stable etc. Handling is quick but not twitchy (but tending toward the quick side to me). It's comfortable - I keep my tires (typically 4000s) inflated to 120psi and spend a fair amount of time over bad surfaces and have no issue with road feel. In one crit, I got taken out by a couple of riders ahead of me at 32mph and went down hard-frame survived fine (the reason I bought it was to race and not worry about trashing a $3k frame). Build quality is very good - I did replace the pedalforce seatpost clamp and headset though.

In short, it's a frame that comparable to other ones costing many times more. Topkey (the same factory that builds a lot of top end frames) has put a lot of engineering into the tube shapes. They have a small army of bike frame engineers so the frame is well-thought out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Pretty much what I have heard and why I'm considering buying one. I quess that if it had an Italian name anf cost $3,000, refund would consider it worthy.

Thanks for the feedback. It just a matter of time before I buy one. Like a month or so.

In need of sock puppet
    Just wrapped up a full RBR review on the Pedal Force RS2. Click here to read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    16.5 lbs right now. still need to replace the seatpost (EA70) with a Thomson and bars. a lightweight or aero wheelset will be in the works in the next few months. the current set is 1800g.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics of my RS2 finally-side.jpg  

Rodie Persona
    The black post looks a lot better.

Not sure what wheels you are looking at but I have had great success with the Reynolds Alta Comps. Got them for a steal, I understand the hubs are rebadged DT Swiss, they have several thousand miles on them and they are straight as an arrow, and they look great.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    16.5 lbs right now. still need to replace the seatpost (EA70) with a Thomson and bars. a lightweight or aero wheelset will be in the works in the next few months. the current set is 1800g.
    How does it ride? The frame color really doesn't do anything for me. But who cares if the ride is superb.

professional lurker
    Sep 2005
    Looks great. I have a RS2 on backorder until they get the SRAM Rival '09 in. Can't wait! Curious to hear your impressions on the bike.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Great review and awesome bike. I have my RS2 on a stand looking beautiful waiting for me to get tired of riding the Kestrel RT700...
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Brifter" is the coolest cycling word

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by master2129
    How does it ride? The frame color really doesn't do anything for me. But who cares if the ride is superb.
    it rides awesome. its hard to describe in detail, but really you cant go wrong with this frame. if you end up not liking it, it'd be better than finding out you dont like the name brand $2500 frame.

the bike really does look a lot different in person. i dont know if you dont like the carbon/red/white theme, but in the picture it does look kinda off. the camera i used kinda sucked too.

I'm on a time-out/temporary ban
    It's a real sweetheart david. Glad to see you ditched the silver seatpost from the previous photo. That was the only thing wrong as far as I'm concerned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I have one, basic black. Can't say anything about other bikes but i like this bike, ALOT.
    Stiff, comfortable, insane light and cheap with the group buy. I was concerned buying a bike with no test data available, I am not disappointed, I absolutely love it.

Karl

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    ... Wait, you want your frame stiff and racy but you think Ksyriums are too stiff? Cool bike, though. The white tire walls and tape go well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice builds. Thinkcooper and David462, both! Like KarlLM I opted for the basic black. How seldom do you get way more than you paid for. It's one heck of a bike - the Roadbike Review piece does it justice. I love mine.

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/bl...ke-pro-review/
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by persondude27
    ... Wait, you want your frame stiff and racy but you think Ksyriums are too stiff? Cool bike, though. The white tire walls and tape go well.
    yah i want a stiff frame, but when it comes to wheels, the Ksyrium SL's I've ridden on an aluminum bike were too stiff. I weight 150lbs and dont put out at ton of power so I dont need stiff wheels. The ride was very harsh on them.

The Elite wheels proved to be just fine as far as stiffness goes. They use different spokes (stainless steal as opposed to aluminum maybe?) compared to the SL's.

I just did the longest ride I've done so far on this new bike. It was 4.5 hours and the ride was just fine as far as comfort goes so I'm happy with that. An hour into the ride though I noticed my rear wheel was way out of true in two spots. I had to open the rear brake the rest of the ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast