Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015

Pinarello Dogma F8 frame cracks

Wondering if anybody with an authentic Pinarello Dogma F8 has experience any cracks in the frame? At least two areas to look are the bottom of the seat stay and the bottom side of the down tube. If you notice any fine white lines that appear to be scratches, I would like to hear from you.
    Regards,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    it sounds to me like it could possibly just be a paint issue due to the compliance of the frame. if there wasn't a flex additive added to the paint or clearcoat on the frame, it can begin to crack as the frame flexes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    Love my Pinarello's also have a 60.1 which has been great but I have had two issues with my F8 frame. The first on the bottom of the right seat stay. Pinarello replaced the frame without any questions and I appreciate that, but I never got a follow up after the frame was sent back and x-rayed. If this was a problem area it would be nice to know it was addressed. The most recent crack is under the bottom of the down tube. Thought initially the white line was part of the decal but further inspection shows a crack. Currently waiting for word back from Pinarello on this one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2016
    I got a crack at the bottom of the right seat stay after 6 month - approx 4000 km. During a training there was a short stop and immediately afterwards the bike felt heavy and unresponsive.
    I couldn't find the reason at first but after 5 km I stopped to investigate thoroughly and found a crack. When handing the bike in at the dealer they found more cracks higher up on the seat stay.
    I waited 4 months where the frame was sent to the distributor and Italy before I got a new frame - apparently more due to the long waiting time than recognising that there maybe were an issue with the strength of the seat stay (or just a bad day at work for a taiwanese blue collar worker).
    Anyway - I was happy to get a new frame and hope the workers had a better day at work when making the new frame.
    Last edited by PinarelloF8; 02-18-2016 at 12:44 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    I have since cracked a second frame! This time in the middle of the down tube. Crack measured about 6" in length. Only noticed it while cleaning the bike. This time around it took Pinnarello about 2 months to replace it. So I'm on my third F8 frame. The only feeling of comfort I'm getting that this frame MIGHT be better, is it's of the second batch released. Both of the first frames were the first batch release were black in color. The only color offered at the time. The latest bike is red.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    are these dogmas made of paper?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2015
    There is obviously a problem with the first batch of F8 frames. I was told my bike was released at the same time as the team bikes. I'm sure the teams experienced problems as well but we would never know. I think one of the reasons you don't hear much about it is because Pinnarello is replacing the frames. It would be nice if you got some feedback from the company stating changes have been made or some manufacturing issues were detected but nothing. I was told my frames would be X rayed and I would be given a report of what was found but nothing. At the end of the day we want our frames replaced and the company is doing that, so it's water under the bridge for most.
    I hope my new frame is solid but I won't know for sure until the Spring when I get off my rain bike (Seattle weather).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    You have a lot more patience than I would in this situation. This is unsat for a $5K frame. Maybe pick up a inexpensive steel bike that you can ride for the months waiting on the next replacement

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    This is unsat for a $5K frame.
    Paying over $1,200 for a Chinese frameset like a Pinarello is just crazy. You can get a hand made Time for less. Chinese aren't known for their quality control. Get a Giant if you want an Asian frame. BTW. . Sucks about the cracks. Hopefully they warranty it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Dogmas are made in Taiwan, not China. And there's a big difference between China and Taiwan. And at this point, I even dare to say that for carbon fiber bicycles, nobody does it better than the Taiwanese, not even boutique shops, and certainly not after you factor in cost. But every now and then, anyone will run into QC issues if they're producing enough products. If any American or European produces in the quantity like the Taiwanese do, then they too will run into more QC issues.

I have not heard much about F8s having issues with cracking. Maybe the OP just got a bad batch. It happens.

For pricing, I know in Asia, one can get an F8 for under $4000, easily. Apparently, taxes in Asia is lower than in the EU and North America. Virtually every mass produced highend frame that is sold in EU and North America can be had at a lower price if you buy in Asia. Europeans and Americans are really getting reamed with taxes. But that's how it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    you just don't hear a lot of stories about pinarellos with cracks. sounds very odd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Notvintage View Post
    Chinese aren't known for their quality control.
    That's an overgeneralization from our resident Sinophobe.

The major brands that build bikes in China and Taiwan have excellent quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
    Dogmas are made in Taiwan, not China. And there's a big difference between China and Taiwan.
    Excellent point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    lots of generalizations, such as ignoring whether Pinarello opted for in-house testing at the firm contracted to build or went with an independent lab. i'm guessing Pinarello did the latter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Paying over $1,200 for a Chinese frameset like a Pinarello is just crazy. You can get a hand made Time for less. Chinese aren't known for their quality control. Get a Giant if you want an Asian frame. BTW. . Sucks about the cracks. Hopefully they warranty it.
    I'm not sure which side of the equation I find more humorous. The reliance on stereotypes to determine everything from China sucks or the one that assumes things from France don't.

Dude, if you're going to shoot from the hip and base your comments on stereotypes you might want to do a little looking into the history and perception of French manufacturing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    My view of China is that these are large factories and small independent factories. The culture of bike building in China is not remotely comparable to what you find in the U.S., U.K. or italy with small frame builders.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    you just don't hear a lot of stories about pinarellos with cracks. sounds very odd.
    That could simply be that there are not that many of them compared to Treks, Spesh and Dales.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    That could simply be that there are not that many of them compared to Treks, Spesh and Dales.
    I actually know of a couple cases (not trying to imply that's anything but an anecdote). In both cases it was a mid tier model that got replaced no questions asked and quickly with a Dogma. So naturally you're not going to hear from these guys complaining.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I imagine there are plenty of Pinarello (and other brands) frames that are replaced under warranty, and the owners never broadcast the process on the internet.

Really, if you have a frame under warranty and it's replaced by the manufacturer, then why the need to publish in a discussion forum?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    I imagine there are plenty of Pinarello (and other brands) frames that are replaced under warranty, and the owners never broadcast the process on the internet.

Really, if you have a frame under warranty and it's replaced by the manufacturer, then why the need to publish in a discussion forum?
    If would much rather have a frame that doesn't break than relying on customer service to continually replace busted frames. Perhaps one reason is that when people spend thousands of dollars on a high-end frame and it breaks they don't want to admit it. I believe that is called post-purchase rationalization

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    are these dogmas made of paper?
    Yes, they are made from cotton fiber paper to be exact. Approximately $5,500 worth of it.

Paying over $1,200 for a Chinese frameset like a Pinarello is just crazy. You can get a hand made Time for less.
    Frames coming out of China/Taiwan are hand made as well. All bikes frames are hand made. The one that wasn't (BMC Impec) is now dead.
    Stop caring about other people's FTP and ride your damn bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    deleted
    Last edited by tvad; 02-19-2016 at 04:00 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Lots of hyperbole in this post..."continually replace"..."and it breaks".

Some of what owners complain of carbon breaks is simple cracking in the material that is used to smooth over joinery. Think of Spackle as a metaphor. These aren't structural issues with the frames, but nervous owners think they are. Cervelo had a problem like this back in 2010-2011 where cracks were showing at the bottom bracket on some of their frames. Many of the cracks weren't structural, but rather cosmetic. I was told this by the owner of Spyder Composites who repaired one of these cosmetic cracks on my 2010 Cervelo R3. He told me it was fairly common.

I don't think not posting about warranty replacements on the internet has anything to do with not wanting to admit a flaw on a frame. I think it's just people who don't spend any time posting on the internet for any reason.
    The OP said he's on his 3rd frame in less than a year. If the manufacturer replaced them I think its safe to assume it was not cosmetic. Hopefully Pinarello resolves this issue and the OP gets a frame that lasts for as long as he wants

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    The OP said he's on his 3rd frame in less than a year. If the manufacturer replaced them I think its safe to assume it was not cosmetic. Hopefully Pinarello resolves this issue and the OP gets a frame that lasts for as long as he wants
    You're right. I skipped all the posts in between. My apologies.
    Last edited by tvad; 02-19-2016 at 04:04 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dogmas are made in Taiwan, not China. And there's a big difference between China and Taiwan.
    Yes, there is a 1,300 mile difference.

Forever a Student
    "Made in Taiwan" is often not that as well, they're often finished there, you know the tricks. Cambodia, Vietnam, China, the Taiwanese are no strangers to outsourcing themselves, they're not dumb.
    use a torque wrench

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast