Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Pinarello Suspension Road bike released

14K views 62 replies 35 participants last post by  Rokh Hard 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)

I haven't bought a bike in over two years. Got the itch. If the non suspended one has direct mount brakes I'll get one.

Crumbling infrastructure is grim reality here. My daily commute was great ten years ago but now it is worse than Paris Roubaix. It would be impossible on my Dogma now. I have to use my mountain bike.

#10 ·
Nice technology incorporation. Not something most of us need as we aren't on cobbles, but if I had to ride them regularly it would be something to consider.

#15 ·
Where I live, chip seal is the closest thing most of us will ever come to riding on cobble stones.

That said, the vast majority of road riders - me included - can achieve the same effect as the multi-million dollar Pinarello/Jaguar 'brain scientists' by letting a wee bit of air out of our overinflated tires and riding gingerly enough so as not to pinch flat (too often).

But what do I know ... I comment on Interweb posts and ride a hardtail mountain bike. :idea:

Very respectfully, Tim

#19 ·
What I do not like about the design is that allowing the rear triangle to flex 10mm would change the distance between the crankset and cassette (granted, minimally). By having the seat tube flex and provide the "suspension" like on the Domane, the transmission triangle remains rigid and efficient. With a Domane when you stand to climb the suspension goes away and power is transferred with typical efficiency to the drive train. Pinarello's design more resembles a soft tail. It must loose some efficiency when someone stands to climb like, similar to a soft tail MTB.

Granted some will buy the "name".

#22 ·
I am not so sure about this. I really don't expect it to perform much better than the Domane does. My expectation is thay it will be super comfortable, but like everything else, that added comfort will come at the price of something else.

#44 ·
Not so sure how well such a design will hold up over time. As it is, that elastomer shock will work as a strut to support the rear triangle, a load bearing part. It will be subjected to side to side, and torsional forces that normally would be handled by a traditional seatstay. Specialized used such a strut design on one of their earlier full suspension mountain bikes, and granted, they were using coil springs, but those shocks kept blowing up due to the excess forces they weren't designed to handle.

Now, this is road, and the stresses may not be so great, and perhaps technology and design have improved enough to compensate, but I don't think I'd spend my money on such a system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.