RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Post purchase justification, spousal approval edition

I've been riding for a couple of years now on a well sorted Vitus 979 (Shimano 600 including brifters, Ambrosio wheelset, Romin saddle, etc.) which I do love but even at my small size is a bit flexy as well as not very upgradeable with its threaded fork, 25mm seatpost and 126mm rear end.

I've been itching for something a bit more modern since I'd eventually like to try racing but can't really afford anything particularly high end. I had been searching for a used carbon framed bike like a Trek 5xxx or Fuji TCR with at least Ultegra level components in good enough shape to move to a different frame should the opportunity arise but after a few weeks of scouring CL and Ebay I had yet to find anything that fit the bill. Most of my rides are solo <50M with a fair amount of interval work involved so absolute comfort not required but I was definitely looking for something that's not a filling rattler.

So a couple of days ago I decided to expand my search to include high end alloy and came across this NOS Orbea Lobular in a reserve auction. I threw a lowish bid in and won the auction but the Reserve was not met. Imagine my surprise when the next day I got a message telling me that I got a Second Chance offer from the seller at exactly my winning bid price of $800 shipped. I went ahead and paid for it and this is what's on the way, what say you RBR, how did I do? Please know that this feedback, if appropriate will be used to help sell the boss on the wisdom of this transaction who has been ignorant of this search.

Model: Orbea Lobular 50
    Year: 2005
    Color: blue/white
    Size: 51cm.

Frame: Columbus 6000 tubing with Zeus carbon seat stays
    Fork: Zeus carbon
    Headset: FSA
    Stem: Deda aluminum 90mm
    Handlebars: 3T aluminum 40cm
    Tape: Fizik
    Brakes: Shimano Ultegra 6700
    Brake levers: Shimano Ultegra 6700
    Front derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6700
    Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultegra 6700
    Shift levers: Shimano Ultegra 6700
    Cassette: 10 speed
    Crankset: Shimano Ultegra 6700 170mm 53x39
    Seatpost: Bontrager aluminum
    Saddle: Fizik Aliante
    Wheels: Easton Vista SL rims, Velomax hubs
    Tires: Vredstein 700x23

Post purchase justification, spousal approval edition-%24-kgrhqr-oqfg-jjhmzfbrs3-yue7g%7E%7E60_57.jpg
    Post purchase justification, spousal approval edition-%24-kgrhqr-nyf-m-uq13ybrs3-l1-%7E%7E60_57.jpg
    Post purchase justification, spousal approval edition-%24t2ec16n-y8e9s2filqobrs3-zjhq%7E%7E60_57.jpg
    Post purchase justification, spousal approval edition-%24t2ec16h-w0e9szn-9o6brs3-gf-5w%7E%7E60_57.jpg

FYI I'll probably need to trade out the stem for at least a 110m model, and I'll probably replace the seatpost immediately as well as transfer my Romin saddle and sell the Fizik, so my final price will be a bit north of my starting point.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Looks like a decent bike for the price. btw you have ultegra 6600 not 6700.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Looks like a good deal but....

.. be very careful on those 2nd chance offers. A lot of them are scam. For some reason frauds get hold of emails of those with losing bids and direct you to a 3rd party for payments although the bike was already sold.

Be careful out there. Good luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the heads up. Luckily the offer appeared in the My Ebay section before I even saw the email so I if it's not legit it's a GOAT scam. It's going to be hard enough to sell the wife (have to make a real attempt to sell the Vitus as is) without explaining to her how I got scammed in the process.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hope you keep your Vitus, those were beautiful bikes and becoming collectible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I'd like to, she's always been a tad too short in the top tube for me, hence the super long stem (yes I have a long torso, short legs issue), but she really is beautiful to look at and as my first serious bike going to be hard to part with.

Attachment 283539

Also, what's my play on the discrepancy between Ultegra 6700/6600?
    Last edited by zekgb; 07-04-2013 at 09:22 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Its better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Updated to say that the bike arrived on Monday and it was in pristine NOS condition just as advertised with the exception of badly frayed rear derailleur and brake cables that I ended up having to replace.

Took it out for a ride today and it felt great - stiff without being punishing, and the Ultegra gear and Velomax wheels all work perfectly. That said the one thing it did reinforce was how incredible the Vitus was for its time, as this bike felt like a natural evolution of the 979, not a completely different animal which is exactly what I was looking for in this exercise.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    ...and, what about the marriage, just need a few counseling sessions and it all good? ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    We are still negotiating whether I will be forced to give the Vitus up for adoption....