RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Powdercoating a Titanium Road Frame

I am about to have my new Moots titanium frame powdercoated by Spectrum Powdercoating. I plan on having parts of both the toptube, downtube and seatube powdercoated. The seatube junctions at the top and bottom will be exposed showing the bare welds. The headtube area will be powdercoated. Is there any real downside to doing this besides aesthetics? Can powdercoating at a later date be removed and refinished if I desire?

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Ask Spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

duh...
    powdercoat can be removed

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostzapper2007
    I am about to have my new Moots titanium frame powdercoated by Spectrum Powdercoating. I plan on having parts of both the toptube, downtube and seatube powdercoated. The seatube junctions at the top and bottom will be exposed showing the bare welds. The headtube area will be powdercoated. Is there any real downside to doing this besides aesthetics? Can powdercoating at a later date be removed and refinished if I desire?
    Spectrum did my titanium Sampson 4 or 5 years ago. They do tremendous work.

No downside if ends up looking the way you want it to. It can be removed via bead-blasting which can in turn add some expense to the next paint or powder job.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2003
    Weight! That powdercoating will add grams to your frame. All seriousness aside, I would love to see the finished product. I have a Dean, but the name DEAN is blasted on the frame, no decals. Given your approach, I might be able to mask around the name...hmmmm. At one time I had thought of anodizing the frame in various colors, but an article was out, either by Seven or Merlin that warned against anodizing Ti, thus...no go. PICTURES....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Thank you for the replies. I will post pictures when the job is finished.

la dolce vita

Design is the downside

An attempt at a pleasing design left to the untrained can result in the following, also done by Spectrum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Powdercoating a Titanium Road Frame-mootspdc.jpg  

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by Mootsie
    An attempt at a pleasing design left to the untrained can result in the following, also done by Spectrum.
    I like the paintjob, for me it's the details that cause the problems. Red pedals, gray spacers, blue bag, fork labeling. The rest is pretty nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    My paintjob would leave the seatstays, chainstays, bottom bracket junction area and seatube junction area all bare ti. The seatube would have a band of paint on it for most of its length, and the toptube, downtube and headtube would be painted, with the paint stopping several inches from the bottom bracket and seatube junctions. Some of my friends think I'm crazy for painting a ti frame.

I used to have a mostly bare ti Serotta and the work I used to put in wiping off fingerprints and smudges to keep the bare ti clean was taxing. I'm thinking the painted sections should be very low maintenance. If they develop a paint chip I won't really care because it's ti underneath. I'll post some pictures when its done.
    Last edited by ghostzapper2007; 05-27-2007 at 06:48 AM.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Nice looking Moots. I like the color scheme. Didn't even notice the blue bag and red pedals until Terry mentioned them. IMO/NBD. It looks good.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I am the offending Moots defiler. I had just re-assembled the bike and was missing a few of my components for the shop ride that morning. It now has the same moots ti spacers, shorter stack height, ritchey wcs stem w/ less rise, grey keo sprint pedals, my moots ti seatpost and easton circuit wheels. The seatbag was about carrying enough repair items to get me home, not color coordination. The paint has some nice qualities when seen in person. I can agree the color scheme of the FRAME is not everyone's idea of what they would do. That aside, Spectrum will do a great job of painting what you are looking for in a frame! :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Spectrum

I think the paintjob by Spectrum looks very good. It's simple, but elegant. The black transitions the aqua to the white very nicely, and matches the MOOTS letters. If the fork were painted the same aqua color to match the frame I think it would take it to another level. Only things I'd do are have the fork painted and change to a black King headset. Nice paintjob.

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by cazdrvr
    I can agree the color scheme of the FRAME is not everyone's idea of what they would do.
    You're dead wrong - I think that is a great paint job for a Moots (same sentiment I had in the earlier battle.) Nice colors that work well together.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    You are right, terry b. You have been positive and a voice of reason. I was just stating that I can respect folks thoughts about how they would design their paint work also. I do want to give kudos for what I think was excellent work done by Spectrum relating to how well the powdercoat was applied.

eminence grease
    In my book, Spectrum is one of the best. They've done three frames for me and each one has been a stunner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That thing is pretty buddy. To each his own.