RoadBikeReview Member

Smile Preview: Soma Speedster & Delancey

These are Tange Prestige heat treated CrMo lugged frames, the first lugged frames from Soma.
    Both feature a traditional road sport geometry and chromed headtubes lugs.

The Speedster is a geared frame. The Delancey is a single speed.
    SRP: $725 - $765
    Tange lugged steel fork is included in the price.
    Both should be available for shops to purchase by the end of December.
    More details at www.somafab.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Preview: Soma Speedster & Delancey-luggedframes_featurepic.jpg  

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I want a Delancey....Good for Soma to produce lugged frames
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

eminence grease
    Very nice.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Scary Teddy Bear

Whoa

THAT is sweet...I agree with Dave...good for Soma to be making some good lugged frames, those are very pretty.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004

Wow!

Very nice. I love you 29er as well!
    Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member

Awesome

I want one of each. Lugs make me happy.

Nasty, brutish, and tall.
    Very cool. Nice that every mass-produced Asian frame doesn't have to be TIG'd! And there's a little chrome and a lugged fork to boot...
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

duh...
    Nice... funky d/os on the Delancy. It will be interesting to see the smaller frames- slightly sloping tt in a lugged frame with some chrome. Lots of cool new bits in the catalog too.

Slow but not so steady
    Jan 2003
    Wonder if the the forks will be threaded because the headtube length on the 60cm is 151mm which is pretty low for a 60cm. Considering it is a Sport Road bike, most of the people who would buy it would want their handlebar height close to saddle height. Without a quill stem, it would be hard to get the handlebar height up for guys 6'1" and above depending on inseam.
    There is a fine line between a hobby and mental illness.

Quote Originally Posted by acckids
    Wonder if the the forks will be threaded because the headtube length on the 60cm is 151mm which is pretty low for a 60cm.
    Yeah, I noticed they are sporting fairly short headtubes, too. (And the headtubes on the fixie are longer?!) ...They're not going to be threaded with a 1 1/8" steerer, however. Those are the new Long Shen lugs for a 36 mm OD headtube. Also, that fork is going to be a bonified tank. 1 1/8" steel steerers are anything but light.

-The Good Doctor

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Yeah, I noticed they are sporting fairly short headtubes, too. (And the headtubes on the fixie are longer?!) ...They're not going to be threaded with a 1 1/8" steerer, however. Those are the new Long Shen lugs for a 36 mm OD headtube. Also, that fork is going to be a bonified tank. 1 1/8" steel steerers are anything but light.
    My soma smoothie has a welded steel fork with a 1 1/8" steel steerer. Fork weight is approximately the same as frame weight. I can't imagine that a lugged fork would differ significantly. Maybe heavier. Should still be nice especially if the fork lugs and dropouts are chrome. Soma has done right with my broken frame, I am once again a fan.
    Retired sailor

Non non normal
    Hey those frames look great. I may have to get one of those. They even have my perfect size 59X59 with a 73 angle on the seattube should give me plenty of room on the top tube. I might have to trade off my Smoothie ES for one of those. Second thought maybe I will just get another Soma since I like the ES so much.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill
    My soma smoothie has a welded steel fork with a 1 1/8" steel steerer. Fork weight is approximately the same as frame weight. I can't imagine that a lugged fork would differ significantly. Maybe heavier. Should still be nice especially if the fork lugs and dropouts are chrome. Soma has done right with my broken frame, I am once again a fan.
    I have built lugged steel forks down to ~780g with full-length 1" steerers. 1 1/8" steerers, full length, add about 80g. Unicrown forks ("welded") are usually heavier than lugged forks because the fork legs are mondo-thick-o at the crown; lugged legs usually have straight walls or fairly minor butts at the crown, and modern crowns are hollow and not very heavy. And for lugged forks, you can chop off a good chunk of the butt if you don't need it (I always do, because I'm too tall).

BUT, if you want a light fork, fork weight should NOT EQUAL frame weight. Frame weight for a steel frame is 3-5 lbs, depending on the steel, design, size, etc. Could you image a 4 lb fork? Oh, I guess you're riding one! An 800 g steel fork is pretty light.

-The Good Doctor

Big is relative
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I have built lugged steel forks down to ~780g with full-length 1" steerers. 1 1/8" steerers, full length, add about 80g. Unicrown forks ("welded") are usually heavier than lugged forks because the fork legs are mondo-thick-o at the crown; lugged legs usually have straight walls or fairly minor butts at the crown, and modern crowns are hollow and not very heavy. And for lugged forks, you can chop off a good chunk of the butt if you don't need it (I always do, because I'm too tall).

BUT, if you want a light fork, fork weight should NOT EQUAL frame weight. Frame weight for a steel frame is 3-5 lbs, depending on the steel, design, size, etc. Could you image a 4 lb fork? Oh, I guess you're riding one! An 800 g steel fork is pretty light.

When my Soma Smoothie ES arrived at the LBS about year and a half ago, we put the box on the counter to unpack it. About five inches of the box was hanging over the edge when I pulled the frame out. The fork was in the end hanging over the edge. The box flipped off the end of the counter and landed about five feet away. It is a three plus pound fork. The 631 frame was relatively light for steel, not much over 4 pounds. I have a gunnar crosshairs with a flat crown cross fork, I picked it up from the LBS with the headset installed. As far as I know it is completely weightless.
    Retired sailor