Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Yes, this is just a sidebar. For me personally, I prefer bikes that aren't full of proprietary stuff. But if you are willing to go down that road, I can't see objecting to just the seat post.
    If you zoom out on the issue and look at the bigger picture, you have hit the nail on the head. Any proprietary facet of a bike is potentially a big issue, especially years down the line. Finding a replacement fork for many bikes is a huge headache now, and the GAN K would be no different. So in reality, you have to accept that the frames today are basically throwaways if they are damaged after a few years of use.

It is getting tough to find a bike that uses a standard headset/fork/BB/seatpost, and even brakes, without going custom. As soon as I saw that some "aero" bikes were going to braze-on mounts for brakes, I had a flashback to the understay U-brakes on MTB's in the mid-80s, and before that, way back in the 70's, the braze on centerpulls that Centurion and a couple of other manufactures used for a year or two.

If I think about it more, I already have an issue with a couple of my older bikes that have 1" steerers. I bought an Easton carbon 1" steerer fork on closeout about five years ago when I realized 1" forks were getting hard to find, and my wife actually had an unfortunate incident that bent beyond repair the 1" fork on her bike. I had that Easton waiting in the wings, but I don't know what I would do now. Your choices in high quality, new, 1" steerer road forks are very slim at this point. Think of the millions upon millions of 1" steerer forks that were made, and now they are difficult to find. At some point, for my 1" bikes, I'm sure it will be a matter of either getting a custom repro made, or hunting down a used donor.

Happily absent RBR Member
    1" forks aren't that big a deal to find. Steel are cheap and widely available, but you also have Nashbar, Ritchey Comp, Origin 8 and Columbus Minimal for carbon forks.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    It irritates me when a manufacturer makes key parts of the bike unique to them, but maybe I'm just old school and used to everything being a "standard".

I keep my bikes a long time, the bike this one is going to replace is 19 years old (1999 Schwinn/Serotta Paramount Ti). I am always wary of things that might be tough to replace, since my bikes tend to go through several iterations of components.

Granted, I am looking at carbon and probably won't be keeping it 20 years, but still - almost all carbon Pinarellos use a proprietary carbon aero seatpost. I'm looking at a Pinarello Gan K that has absolutely everything I want - (Full Ultegra disc build, clearance for 30mm tires, proper thru axles front and rear, threaded BB, fairly decent wheels), but that seatpost, damn. I looked it up, and a replacement is $450! Obviously a seatpost does not "wear out", but I have broken a few in my long years of riding. I'm guessing ten years from now the bike is a throwaway if you break the post, since they will be impossible to find at any price.

Am I over thinking this? I'd like some first hand experiences with the Gan/Dogma seatpost to help me get over this, or I'll just move on to a different bike. I posted on the Pinarello forum a few days ago but have no response.

I got a Merckx EMX 525 a couple years ago and had the same thought process...what if that unique seat post broke.

Moreover, I was less certain about the ability to get a replacement from the mfg. as they've changed hands a few times, straining continuity. Indeed, since I bought the bike they've been acquired again by Ridley this time.

LBS felt a replacement wouldn't ever be a problem. I factored in low probability of break. End of the day...I wanted it, so I did it. But I do think the risk is there. Further out you go. Bigger it is.

I'm not, however, into the collectable / museum piece thing. Materials and technology will continue to move on. If I get 15 years out of it, and can't get a replacement seat post... Time to start over with a new love.

And... with 3D printing and such, I have to think the ability to replicate "unique" parts will only become more simple, affordable, and common.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Getting off topic but diameter alone had nothing to do with it. Some combination of diameter, wall thickness and material will determine flex/stiffness.
    fair enough. i was more thinking about round vs aero shape and non-circular. also believe that upon impact the seat is designed to give on a traditional seat post which potentially prevents a broken seat post. the new aero-shapes don't do that. happy to be corrected but that's my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    fair enough. i was more thinking about round vs aero shape and non-circular. also believe that upon impact the seat is designed to give on a traditional seat post which potentially prevents a broken seat post. the new aero-shapes don't do that. happy to be corrected but that's my understanding.
    I don't think there is any real basis for this belief.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    1" forks aren't that big a deal to find. Steel are cheap and widely available, but you also have Nashbar, Ritchey Comp, Origin 8 and Columbus Minimal for carbon forks.
    I had never heard of the Columbus Minimal. Pretty great description, I always choose my forks for their novelty and their "sober line":

"Absolute novelty Columbus is MINIMAL, the new monocoque fork from the essential and sober line, designed for frames with conventional steering, in particular for frames made with steel pipes which for their essentiality not lend themselves to being assembled with oversize forks.

The fork, made through the superimposition of layers of carbon fiber from the aerospace industry, is provided with 1 "steerer raked by 45mm. The progressive curvature of the blades ensures excellent vibration damping ensures high driving stability even under extreme conditions."

Henry James has the all carbon Minimal for cheaper than anyone sells the Ritchey Comp. It really seems like a bargain for what you get.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Henry James has the all carbon Minimal for cheaper than anyone sells the Ritchey Comp. It really seems like a bargain for what you get.
    Wow, you are right, Henry James has a great deal on that fork. Only 45mm offset available in the 1" model, but that works for most of my older bikes.

I should order one to keep around in case those eventually disappear as well as most of the other aftermarket 1" forks have. I actually had a framebuilder make a replacement steel fork for a bike once, but it cost me around $400 after paint, and the crown didn't match the original.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The obvious solution here is to look beyond Pinarello.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12