RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Purchasing advice: 2007 Giant TCR C2 or 2008 Bianchi Via Nirone ALU/Carbon?

Hello,

I'm new to the biking world. About 8 weeks ago I started going around to different bike shops in my local area. My first round of trips was to check out bikes Ė try to learn a little more about bikes, and ultimately determine if I really wanted to make a purchase. The primary reason I want a bike is for triathlons. I do mostly sprint distances but plan to do a couple Olympic level distance triathlons each year.

I decided I wanted a road bike which Iíll equip for aero bars. The reason being is I donít want to be limited in what I do with my bike Ė I want the flexibility of doing what I want with my bike (enter any kind of race/join any biking group). After one round to local shops I circled back and started riding bikes that interested me after confirming online it was a bike that met my needs. My price range is $1k-$2k. Now that Iíve ridden about 10 bikes Iíve narrowed my choices down to two. Iím 5ft 8 Ė 150lbs.

2007 Giant TCR C2: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/2/11456/
    $1850

2008 Bianchi Via Nirone ALU/Carbon: http://www.bianchiusa.com/08_c2c_nirone_ultegra.html
    $1650

Based on my primary usage plans Ė a full carbon bike is probably not something I need. However, Iím wondering if getting a full carbon bike for $200 more is worth the extra money? The TCR C2 is originally a $2300 bike. Also, anyone have an opinion on these two bikes and which one would be better for my needs? You can see the components are pretty comparable. The bikes come from two different shops. I wish I could ride back-to-back but that isnít an option in this case.

Thanks for your help ahead of timeÖ

EW

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Can't help you on the Bianchi other than I have always loved the name and color of the frames but I do ride a Giant TCR and really enjoy it. Very good all around bike and would serve you well in what you have stated you want to do with it. As far as frame materials. Very unlikely you would notice the difference. You really should get the bike that fits the best (size, budget, and even color). Just my 2 cents worth.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

World's 1st Anal-rapist
    Fit. Fit. Fit.

Now that that is out of the way: as a person who has owned both bikes and has competed in Olympic distance races before, I would vote for the TCR for 3 reasons.

1.) Full Carbon Frame, good for longer rides (in most cases-the TCR's can be stiff)
    2.) The Geometry is more suited (in my opinion) to being more dual purpose.
    3.) I like the lines of the TCR better.

With that said, my Bianchi was always one of the sexiest bikes in the transition area. And in Celeste, it was damn easy to find!!

Either way, you'll get a good bike. BTW, check your PM!
    Oh, I've been in the film business for a while, but I just can't seem to get one in the can.

O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth? Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    Hah, I thought my magenta TCR was the easiest to find in the transition area but I guess Celeste would be to.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If both bikes fit equally well, my nod would go to the Giant. I think the frame might be a little more forgiving over a long ride. It comes with a very good saddle, more Ultegra bits, and slightly better wheels. Also, if you're planning to do triathlons, you may find the 53-39 crankset on the Giant more usable than the 50-34 compact on the Bianchi.

But you gotta love that Celeste colour on the Bianchi!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Thanks!

Thanks for the tips and for taking the time to reply. :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    if you're going to be adding aero bars, you may prefer a frame with a slightly taller head tube, so your elbows aren't so low. You may be exceedingly aero, but you'll lose substantial power and your hammy's will be very unhappy. There's a big difference in small position adjustments of your position.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

RE: Purchasing advice: 2007 Giant TCR C2 or 2008 Bianchi Via Nirone ALU/Carbon?

yep I'll be adding aero bars...maybe I'm trying to get one bike to do too much?? It seems like a lot of people try to make their road bikes - tri bikes. Is it just the geometry in these two bikes that is concerning?