Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 30 of 30
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    I am a little over six feet tall, oddly proportioned, overweight, inflexible, with a couple shoulder injuries.
    General fitting advice works okay with people that don't have as many infirmities as you do. You are absolutely right that you will have to resort to a 50cm bike if your riding position is like that of a British upright style bike, but your experience is by no means typical. I've observed hundreds of exacting fits addressing a wide variety of back, shoulder, hip and knee injuries and never witnessed the kind of lengths you've gone to.


    You should seriously a custom frame.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  2. #27
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    They add versatility to fitting non-pros while making it harder to fit young racers. For a racer, a negative slopping stem is just another bit of aero drag and something to get injured against - and it makes team bikes look kind of stupid.
    Aero drag from a stem angle? um, okay. And injuries from a stem angle? Come on now.

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Aero drag from a stem angle? um, okay. And injuries from a stem angle? Come on now.
    Extreme example:


    Having a hump up in the front of the bike doesn't help the rider - it just gets in the way. For people who have a lower position something closer to a level top tube is less likely to get in the way of the rider.

    It is a small thing, but it would make sense for very pricey pro level bikes to come in more than one head tube length for a given size to suit the extremes of fit. Many production bikes are well into custom pricing, so it shouldn't be so much to ask to have geometry that suits more kinds of riders.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  4. #29
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    11,893
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Extreme example:


    Having a hump up in the front of the bike doesn't help the rider - it just gets in the way. For people who have a lower position something closer to a level top tube is less likely to get in the way of the rider.

    It is a small thing, but it would make sense for very pricey pro level bikes to come in more than one head tube length for a given size to suit the extremes of fit. Many production bikes are well into custom pricing, so it shouldn't be so much to ask to have geometry that suits more kinds of riders.
    That's pretty funny. I can't imagine anyone that *needs* to be in that position.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

  5. #30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,918
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    That's pretty funny. I can't imagine anyone that *needs* to be in that position.
    He would.
    Name:  e911e166f85a6d43df7b1c616f12d463--chiropractic-humor-fantastic-four.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  33.4 KB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Effect of stem spacers and stem length on handling
    By il sogno in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-15-2008, 05:42 AM
  2. stem angle vs stem length vs bar height geomtery question
    By acid_rider in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-11-2007, 04:33 AM
  3. Stem length/rise - relative length?
    By SDizzle in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 07:53 PM
  4. relation between top tube length vs. stem length
    By NoMSG in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 05:29 PM
  5. Stem Length, Top Tube Length Ratio
    By purple puma in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 08:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •