RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Question for those that have built whole bikes from frames at bike shops

Had a bike built at a local bike shop, which mixed and matched various parts(frames,wheels,bars,etc). All I got was a sales receipt from the shop, however my understanding is the various manufacturers have limited warranties for the some number of months(years). The question is should the local bike shop be providing me with warranties from the various parts suppliers? What's the experience here. My last bike was a trek 5200 and the warranty was strictly with trek in that instance. I believe I was issued a Trek warranty card at that time.

Big is relative
    If the shop sold you anything that was new, then they should handle any warranty issues. Get a detailed receipt that lists all the parts and let them honor any issues.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    If the shop sold you anything that was new, then they should handle any warranty issues. Get a detailed receipt that lists all the parts and let them honor any issues.
    +1 ^ This is spot on advice. Also, the receipt should state exactly what warranties are included with whichever components you've purchased. Usually, it will state something like, "All components or parts are guaranteed for X amount of time". Of course, that's limited to the original receipt recipient...
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Detailed receipt is all you will need. You just need to prove you purchased the item. In all the years I have been riding and all the bikes I have built, I have used a warranty on exactly one part.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you. The shop did exactly that, very detailed receipt with the parts purchased.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    +1 ^ This is spot on advice. Also, the receipt should state exactly what warranties are included with whichever components you've purchased. Usually, it will state something like, "All components or parts are guaranteed for X amount of time". Of course, that's limited to the original receipt recipient...
    huh?!? there is no reason for the shop receipt to spell out warranty details. all manufacturers make this information readily available. as long as you have D.O.P. on the receipt and it details exactly what you bought, you're fine. if there are any warranty problems the shop can deal with them.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum