RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017

Questions about my new bike

I had posted a few times with questions about buying a new bike and trying to decide which one to get. I was fairly content taking my time deciding and waiting on bikes with the newer parts groups to become available... then my frame cracked.

Questions about my new bike-cannondale-frame-crack.jpg

All of a sudden, I needed a new bike ASAP if I wanted to continue riding on the road, which I did. I went and got a Guru fit and decided to buy a 2017 Fuji SL 2.1 Disc from Performance online. The promo they had was just too good to pass up, and the bike looked like it would have been a good value anyways.

I picked up the bike today from my local Performance retail shop and took it home. Upon getting home, I noticed that I had somehow already scratched the frame!!! It wasn't scratched at the shop as far as I remember.

Questions about my new bike-fuji-chainstay-scratch.jpg

Do I need to be worried about that? I'm pretty mad at myself right now, to say the least. Are the finishes on these bikes delicate, or do I just suck at being a bike owner? I was coming home from vacation and had a lot of crap in the back of my van, and had the bike propped up with a few duffel bags full of clothes, but I don't remember anything being near it that could have done that. It makes me a bit sick to think about it, and probably will for at least a couple years.

Also, once I got home I noticed that I may be missing one of the frame plugs where the brake line enters the frame. What do you think?

Questions about my new bike-fuji-frame-plug.jpgQuestions about my new bike-fuji-missing-frame-plug.jpg

To me it looks like there should be a plug on the top hole on the bike's left side. I didn't notice this until I got home, and the bike shop is over two hours away to go back.

Any thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Get some flat black paint and have at it, that is nothing.
    When transporting your bike, don't let it touch anything, or don't be picky. If you have to travel packed, get a mover's blanket or some thin heavy foam.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    The difference in the frame plugs is one is a shifter cable the other a brake cable. The shifter plug is likely designed for either mechanical housing or electronic.

I would also suspect that deeper inside the brake housing, where it's inside the frame, is a housing ferrule.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Get some flat black paint and have at it, that is nothing.
    When transporting your bike, don't let it touch anything, or don't be picky. If you have to travel packed, get a mover's blanket or some thin heavy foam.
    Man I had a 2 year old, a very pregnant wife, and an old ornery dog in a hot minivan, my mad parents waiting for us to get to their house again before they could go take care of business, and fence installers waiting at my house for me to come home, and having to unpack and repack the whole van in a parking lot with my bad back already killing me. I did the best I could, even put a couple shirts in between the bike and the bags. I don't see how a person could afford to "not be picky" when it comes to things like this, it's not like I can just go buy another one whenever something goes wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    The difference in the frame plugs is one is a shifter cable the other a brake cable. The shifter plug is likely designed for either mechanical housing or electronic.

I would also suspect that deeper inside the brake housing, where it's inside the frame, is a housing ferrule.
    The hole without a frame plug in it is for the hydraulic brake line, so no ferrule like for cables.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The first scratch on a new bike always hurts the most. You will have more as you ride and time passes. S#!t happens and you go on living life. Yes, it sucks for sure, but you can't go backwards. If it bothers you that much, follow Duriel's advice.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger