SBK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Quiring XCr Stainless BB30 Build

I guess I'd primarily call myself a mountain bike guy, but I've been wanting to build up a road bike for training, fitness and putting in some miles with some friends. I have worked a couple times with Michigan frame builder Scott Quiring in the past, he's built me two different Ti hardtail 29er mountain bike frames. One geared, one dedicated singlespeed.

For those who haven't met or talked with Scott, he's good people. The guy is a pleasure to work with and has always treated me right while at the same time entertaining a variety of special requests on frame builds, whether finish work or design stuff. I contacted him and talked a few times about a road bike and had some difficulty deciding whether to have him build a Ti bike vs. something in steel. In one of those conversations he mentioned that he'd built a couple frames recently from Columbus XCr stainless, and offered that it might be just the ticket for this project.

I'm relatively local to Scott so I went and got fitted for a custom geometry. Yes, as you can guess from the pics I'm a shorter dude, but on the previous projects he did a great job fitting me to the point that the bikes felt extremely natural and comfy, straight off the workstand. This project was no exception.

I run external BB on my mountain bikes but wanted to go BB30 on this one. Scott had started one other at the time but agreed to take this on as well. We agreed that leaving some portion of the bike unfinished would be a cool look, so the front triangle is pearl white, with exposed XCr stays. I debated long and hard about panels, but wanted a super-clean look. I didn't really want decals either, so after some discussion, we came up with the idea of having the logos applied pre-paintwork, and then removed - to allow raw XCr show thru as the "logos" on the frame. It came out just as I'd hoped.

Build Weight: 15.8 lbs (as pictured below, with pedals)

It's not a superlight package, but not bad for a metal bike having a good 'ol Thomson post, Ritchey stem, alloy wheelset, steel-spindle pedals, etc. All good, solid stuff and it should make for a solid/durable package.

The build is as follows:

Frame: Quiring custom in Columbus XCr Stainless Steel
    Fork: Edge Composites Road 1.0
    Bars: Edge Composites
    Gruppo: SRAM Red (BB30/Compact)
    Wheelset: American Classic 420 Aero3
    Stem: Ritchey WCS 4-Axis
    Pedals: Time RXS Carbon

Someday down the road when cash allows, I may try to finish off the Edge cockpit with post/stem and maybe even a set of 45's. For now, I think I'll focus on getting some miles on the bike and learning to be a roadie... ;)

Some quick pics of the build, and I have some closeups of the frame I can add later if anyone's interested:

Last edited by SBK; 04-14-2010 at 06:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    drewl...wow!

banned
    Aug 2009
    Chain's a little short there, dontchathink?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    That chain does seem about two total links short.

Rodie Persona
    Beautiful! Nice job, enjoy being a roadie. As a former exclusive MTBer being a roadie is just as much fun - just in a different way.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    let me ask, are you using a shim for the seatpost? If not, what is the post diameter, because XCr has quirky inside diameter, 30.4mm if I'm not mistaken. Also, is the BB30 shell stainless as well? I know it must not be easy to have a perfect BB30 shell and require extra work after welding.

SBK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kingennio
    let me ask, are you using a shim for the seatpost? If not, what is the post diameter, because XCr has quirky inside diameter, 30.4mm if I'm not mistaken. Also, is the BB30 shell stainless as well? I know it must not be easy to have a perfect BB30 shell and require extra work after welding.
    No shim on the seatpost, I'm using a 27.2 with no drama.

The shell is indeed stainless, no positive but I believe it may have been sourced via Paragon Machine works. I know that Scott had some special tooling made, and the spec for BB30 clearly calls out post-weld, post-finish for the final bearing bores.

I'll double-check the chain length.

Here are some pics of the frame, a closeup of the logo area and BB shell, etc. The iridescence of the pearl paint is hard to pick up in photos, but it's stunning in person:

rmp
    RoadBikeReview Member

wow

Very cool Mark. You are acquiring quite a stable!

Ryan

Rodie Persona
    I really like the look of the bare metal in the rear and for the logo. Very clean looking. The welds look almost Ti like. No discoloration typically seen with steel. I don't know much about XCr. Love the use of BB30, nice job!
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

SBK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Hey, thanks guys! I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Ryan - You're welcome to borrow or ride any of my Q's any time, just let me know and you're welcome to check one out!

rmp
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks Mark. One of these days I look forward to having enough time to justify more than one bike again. Yours are all gorgeous.

Decrepit Member
    Beautiful build! Everything is "right"...

Congratulations.
    -Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Beautiful!

I'd trim that steerer above the stem, if it were me. And is that 4-Axis a 17 degree? You could lose some spacers underneath the stem (thereby slightly stiffening up the front as well as dropping a few grams) if you went with the standard 6 degree version...

Overall, the build is very tight, though! Great looking bike!

SBK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    Beautiful!

I'd trim that steerer above the stem, if it were me. And is that 4-Axis a 17 degree? You could lose some spacers underneath the stem (thereby slightly stiffening up the front as well as dropping a few grams) if you went with the standard 6 degree version...

Overall, the build is very tight, though! Great looking bike!
    Thanks! Yes, I plan to trim the stem. I probably didn't do a great job of explaining in my original post, but it's my first road bike so I came into this wanting to leave some room to let myself work through tweaking the fit. The stem is one I had available to get in the ballpark for fit and will probably be changed out once I get things exactly where I want them.

Like most bike projects, it's never "done." ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SBK
    Thanks! Yes, I plan to trim the stem. I probably didn't do a great job of explaining in my original post, but it's my first road bike so I came into this wanting to leave some room to let myself work through tweaking the fit. The stem is one I had available to get in the ballpark for fit and will probably be changed out once I get things exactly where I want them.

Like most bike projects, it's never "done." ;)
    Wow, the fact that it is your first road bike build is very impressive. It shows a sophistication in the choice of parts and colors rarely seen in builds done by long-time roadies... Or even shop builders, for that matter. Everything component is well-thought out... functional, lightweight, and even aesthetically pleasing. Amazing for a first effort. Congrats!