RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006

Rare carbon bird - Javelin Torgiano

Hey Gang,

Postings have been slow of late, so I thought I'd put this up.
    It is my Javelin Torgiano, purchased from an online forum.
    Weight is 1100 grams, but should build up nicely.
    The plan is a Campy 10-speed mix with Zipp Vuma Quad cranks.
    Hope you like it, and feel free to comment.

The frame alone:

Here it is with a Syntace front-end, Tiso RD, Tune cage, and Dura Ace carbon tubulars...

Oh hai there
    First the Carrera with Lightweights and now this. I totally need to start selling cocaine or something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    What made you decide on this bike? I'm just curious if you got to ride one and it was great, or if it was a "gee, no one else has one of these" decision. I'd also like to know what you think about it after you get a quick ride. I know, wrong time of year, but I can dream can't I?

Anti-Hero
    Cool Bike! I used to have an Amarone.
    No turkey unless it's a club sandwich
    Brickhouse Blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    No need to sell cocaine - just work at a big law firm for 11 hours a day, live in a shitty apartment, don't own a car, and spend all your money on bikes ;)

Now, as for the bike: I have never ridden one. This was a "gee, that looks cool" decision, albeit one based on reading all reviews available, matching geometry carefully, and speaking with the guys at Javelin about any doubts I had.

Even though it is freezing here, once the Jav is built, I'll take her out for a spin and report back.

Oh, and just to make you really drool...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    I briefly owned a Javelin tri bike and like it quite a bit. I can't wait to see yours built up!

Oh hai there
    Quote Originally Posted by CippoForLife
    No need to sell cocaine - just work at a big law firm for 11 hours a day, live in a shitty apartment, don't own a car, and spend all your money on bikes ;)

ahhhhhh, that's yer secret. Now I know where I went wrong what with the eating and homeowning and all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Here it is...better pics to follow once I can get a ride or two in...

The build...

Rear end...

GOLD bb...

Any comments?

¿Por Que?
    Aug 2007
    I ride a Torgiano. Mine is a 53cm, and it weighs 1000g for the 53cm frame. It's built up with full DA7800, and weighs around 16lbs built. That's with alloy clinchers. I could drop a pound or close to it by going to carbon tubulars, something I expect to do in the coming months.

I've had my Jav for a year and a half, after buying from a racer who had used it as his race only bike for the second half of the previous season. So, it was in excellent shape when I got it.

I'm perfectly fond of the bike, but something's missing for me. I've got it built up nice and light, it's plenty comfortable, and I really do enjoy riding it. But I just don't feel like it has the responsiveness that I would ideally like it to have. It's not that I find it flexy, noodly, whippy or any other adjective along those lines. At the same time, I just don't get a feeling of instant and forceful acceleration when I really drive the pedals.

Some other bikes I've ridden, including the Cervelo R3, the C' Dale Super Six (or even a CAAD8 for that matter), and the Scott Addict, all strike me as a lot more responsive. I keep thinking that I'll probably sell the frame come springtime, and try to pick up a used R3 or something. Keep in mind that I'm saying this and I'm a pretty little guy. I'm 5'9", 140lbs soaking wet. I'm not throwing down huge watts.

Also, I really disliked the stock fork. I switched out to an Ouzo Pro and found the steering to be a lot more confident, especially on descents.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket--you got a new bike, and you're probably stoked about it. You *should* be stoked about it. In spite of my criticisms, I really do think it's a great ride. It's smooth, it's light, it's comfortable & stable. I can handle it confidently on rough roads, I feel comfortable doing long gravel road rides on it, it's sure-footed on descents. It's great on long rides, and nice and light for climbing. It's just not as punchy as I would prefer.

Anyway, keep adding to this thread as you get the build fleshed out and get some time on the road with it. I'll be curious to hear your feelings. Also, if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. I'll try to remember to post some pictues of mine within the next couple of days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Cogswell - thanks for the great feedback. I am not that surprised to hear that the frameset is not a super-stiff platform. Some online reviews suggested the same thing.

Truthfully, I already have such a bike. My Canyon F10 is massively stiff, especially in the front end. That is my bike of choice for real hammer-fests.

I was looking for something a little different - light, stable, and smooth. Your description seems to fit that bill, so I still have high-hopes for the Javelin.

I'll be sure to post my impressions, but that might be a ways off, given the amount of snow on the ground right now ;(

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Here you are...final build with much better pics.

Javelin frame
    Zero fork
    Syntace front-end
    Control Tech post
    Specialized Toupe saddle
    Zipp Vuma Quad compact cranks
    Lightweight Wheels
    Tiso Sereo RD
    Record FD
    Centaur 09 Shifters
    Flat pedals for commuting

banned
    Jul 2007
    Hot. I used to own a Javelin Amarone... not the later carbon version, but the 2005, made out Deda U2 tubing... that thing was bananas. right around 900g for the frame in a 53 sloping.

I didn't like the stock fork, but the frame was great. Stiff and fast as hell, plus the U2 wasn't as harsh as most alloys. I replaced the Zero fork with a Look HSC5-SL, and the bike was perfect.

I still don't know why I sold it- the thing was fantastic, the total package, performance and looks. To this day, whenever I show my girl some new frame I'm building, she always says "I liked the blue one you had, the one with the dark-to-light-blue fade... that was pretty."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    I just purchased a Javelin Torgiano frameset and D/A build (minus the wheels). It gets here on Friday (1/9).

I did a TON of searching before I purchased it and every reviewer seemed to LOVE the bike. I was also suprised to see how much the retail on the framest was...OUCH! (I seem to have gotten a pretty good deal)

I just swapped out my Kuota Kredo for a Kuota KOM (frameset only) and am trying to decide if I should use the D/A on the Torgiano to re-build my Kredo (which I LOVE) and then sell the Javelin.

I'll wait to see it when it shows up, but I must say, your bike looks awfully nice! maybe I'll be keeping the Javelin after all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    I've heard the complaints about the fork. I figure I'll keep it uncut and give it a try.
    Edge 2.0 is always a (great) option.
    And yeah, retail price is high, but I also got this "like-new" which made it do-able.
    Build up both bikes - I can't be the only crazy one ;)

Thanks for the comments!

duh...
    total weight = ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    My crappy hanging scale says 13.3 lbs. I'd say it's within 1/4 lb of that one way or the other. Not nutty light, but still my lightest ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    WOW, that's pretty light! What size is your frame? It looks to be at least a 57cm..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    It is listed as a 55 by Javelin, which really means it is a 57. Good eyes.

It is light because:
    1. The Tiso rear derailleur is actually lighter than the new Super Record.
    2. Centaur levers are lighter than the new SR as well - I checked myself!
    3. Vuma Quads!
    4. Lightest 31.6 seatpost around (that doesn't cost $400).
    5. Light front end and bottle-cage.

With real pedals it would probably be 13.5 lbs or something.

Mike