RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

rear wheels: 3 spoke vs. disk

Whats faster at 20mph+?

Is a disk wheel faster at 20 then a 3 spoke
    How durable are disk wheels like the HED Standard

RoadBikeReview Member
    go to analytic cycling and you can run every wheel and every scenario under the sun. The bottom line is a disc is fastest, but it isn't significantly faster than a Hed trispoke. If you have bad crosswinds in your area and you are considered with the effect it will have on your bike handling, you may be better off with a trispoke than a disc.

Durability wise, both discs and tri spokes should be fine unless you wreck them or seek out huge potholes on a regular basis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Aerobars vs Drop Bars?

Quote Originally Posted by custombike
    Whats faster at 20mph+?

Is a disk wheel faster at 20 then a 3 spoke
    How durable are disk wheels like the HED Standard
    Are the use of aerobars with integrated brake levers good for turning or are they unstable?
    Whats better: An aerobar like the HED or a high end carbon stem/handlebar combo?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    You should always buy the most expensive equipment you can find, because in cycling, $ = performance.

Seriously, you're asking some pretty ridiculous questions. Read up on them (like, product info), go to your shop and talk to the folks, then come here asking to compare two or three options. But don't just ask "What's better, a or b?"

TB

RoadBikeReview's Member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by custombike
    Are the use of aerobars with integrated brake levers good for turning or are they unstable?
    Whats better: An aerobar like the HED or a high end carbon stem/handlebar combo?
    Judging by your questions you sound relatively new.

Just in case you don't know, a disk is NOT allowed in road races or crits. It's only allowed in time trials. Same for a aerobar. They're faster, but not allowed in mass races because they'd result in a lot of crashes due to small handling errors.
    if you're building up a bike to race it in a crit or RR, go for normal wheels, and normal al handlebars... Carbon bars/stem don't make any difference. Really. I ride a carbon bar, I'm no faster than when my bike had an AL bar. And if I crash, I get to buy a new bar.
    -estone2
    "It's hard to tell the poison from the cure, so enjoy the disease."
    -Mohair_Chair

Banned forever.....or not
    If you're only going 20 mph, it's rather silly to pop for the expense of a Disc or Tri spoke. Save your money for when you get faster.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Man, I'm Awesome
    +1 for what Grumpy said.

Rollin' Stones

Whaaaaat?

What's faster at 20mph? 21 mph. What's more "aero" at 20mph depends on a few factors. Topography, wind speed and angle, and your fitness level. Most data supports that disc wheels front and rear are the most "aero" set-up in ideal conditions. You'd have to ask asgelle, or consult the rule book as to if discs in front are even legal anymore. That brings us back to disc wheels in the rear being the most aero in ideal conditions. As another poster wrote, if the wind is a problem, you can sub a tri-spoke wheel and still maintain control of the bike and get "aero" advantage. All of that being said, if you are still working on training, who isn't, putting the money you'd spend on having either of the wheels towards coaching and training will give you more in the long run. "aero" wheels, forks, seatposts, etc are all for fine tuning your performance after you've got a good fitness system down pat. They'll save a conditoned athlete the seconds promised by magazine ads, maybe.
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by estone2
    Just in case you don't know, a disk is NOT allowed in road races or crits.
    I'd refer you to USCF Rule 1Jc. "Wheels may be made with spokes or solid construction." Disk wheels are perfectly acceptable for mass start events.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    If you're only going 20 mph, it's rather silly to pop for the expense of a Disc or Tri spoke. Save your money for when you get faster.
    If you're paying an entry fee, there's no reason not to spend what you can afford on the fastest possible equipment. The 20 mph rider will save more time with a disk than a 25 mph rider.

Banned forever.....or not
    If you feel that you just have to buy some speed, your money will be better spent getting a Tri spoke for the front wheel. Your front wheel is out there, in the wind, 100% of the time. Your rear wheel is partially shielded from the wind by the seat tube.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!