Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    32

    Relaxed Geometry Steel Road Bike?

    Any suggestions for a relaxed geometry steel road bike? Modern production or vintage is OK. I realize that steel will be heavier but a 'reasonable' weight would be appreciated.

    I currently have a mid 90s Serotta Colorado CSI racing bike, which while it is a great bike and frame; I do find myself wishing for a more relaxed geometry, including, but not restricted to, a somewhat more upright posture. I will use the bike for general fitness and group rides of 25-40 miles. I will keep the Serotta as a second 'racier' bike. I do not race.
    Last edited by haziz; 05-22-2013 at 11:19 AM.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: regnaD kciN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    128

    Relaxed Geometry Steel Road Bike?

    Although I haven't tried one myself, another poster in a different thread recommended the Jamis Quest.

  3. #3
    Cyclist
    Reputation: Nater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    542
    What are you looking for in terms of relaxed? Taller headtube? Slacker angles? Longer stays?

    Soma ES
    Surly Pacer
    Singular Osprey
    Gunnar Sport

    You also might find what you're looking for in a cyclocross frame or touring frame.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    109
    All-City Mr. Pink

  5. #5
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,097
    Rivendells are famously comfortable and laid back. But I found my Colnago to be even more comfortable and laid back.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    153
    ask Zeet

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    119

    Re: Relaxed Geometry Steel Road Bike?

    I'll second Jamis if you're budget minded.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: mark4501's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    155
    +1 for Gunnar Sport - I bought one last August and love it.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,359
    I'd recommend the following:

    1) The GT Corsa 1.0
    2) The Jamis Quest
    3) The Jamis Bosanova
    4) The Soma Smoothie
    5) The Surly Pacer
    6) The Jamis Satellite Comp
    7) The Norco Cabot
    8) The Marin Four Corners
    9) The Raleigh Clubman
    10) The Fuji Touring
    Last edited by Zeet; 05-24-2013 at 09:42 PM.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: headloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,045
    13) Surly Cross Check
    14) Salsa Warbird Colossal/Vaya
    15) Kona Rove
    16) Specialized Tricross
    17) Trek/Gary Fisher Erwin/Presido/etc.
    18) Soma Double Cross
    19) Raleigh Port Townsend
    20) Bianchi Volpe (and variations thereof)
    21) Milwaukee Bicycle Co. (made by Waterford)
    22) Salsa Casseroll

    and so on and so forth...

    Adventure Cycling puts out an article in pdf format every year listing the current selection of steel touring bikes... lots of good info there.
    Last edited by headloss; 05-23-2013 at 05:18 AM.

  11. #11
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    40,584
    I'll make you a sweet offer on this rig, I don't ride it much anymore since I got my CAAD10.

    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    13) Surly Cross Check
    14) Salsa Warbird
    15) Kona Rove
    16) Specialized Tricross
    17) Trek/Gary Fisher Erwin/Presido/etc.
    18) Soma Double Cross
    19) Raleigh Port Townsend
    20) Bianchi Volpe (and variations thereof)
    21) Milwaukee Bicycle Co. (made by Waterford)
    22) Salsa Casseroll

    and so on and so forth...

    Adventure Cycling puts out an article in pdf format every year listing the current selection of steel touring bikes... lots of good info there.
    that's good to know thanks
    do you have a direct link ?
    i can't seem to find the pdf

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I'll second Jamis if you're budget minded.
    Thirded (thinking of the Quest).
    Spent a long time comparing Head tube/top tube/chainstay lengths and angles etc, and the Quest is near the top. The WSD most so.

  14. #14
    Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    21,676
    Quote Originally Posted by haziz
    Any suggestions for a relaxed geometry steel road bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    13) Surly Cross Check
    14) Salsa Warbird
    15) Kona Rove
    16) Specialized Tricross
    17) Trek/Gary Fisher Erwin/Presido/etc.
    18) Soma Double Cross
    19) Raleigh Port Townsend
    20) Bianchi Volpe (and variations thereof)
    21) Milwaukee Bicycle Co. (made by Waterford)
    22) Salsa Casseroll

    and so on and so forth...

    Adventure Cycling puts out an article in pdf format every year listing the current selection of steel touring bikes... lots of good info there.

    I think the Salsa Warbird is available in Ti and aluminum but not steel?
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

    SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

    Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day


    Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

    Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.


  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: headloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by LAW.S.T View Post
    that's good to know thanks
    do you have a direct link ?
    i can't seem to find the pdf
    Touring Bike Buyer's Guide | Adventure Cyclist | Adventure Cycling Association

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: headloss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,045
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

    I think the Salsa Warbird is available in Ti and aluminum but not steel?
    Looks like you're right... my bad. The Colossal is steel (and the Vaya).

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    153

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GRAVELBIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by haziz View Post
    Any suggestions for a relaxed geometry steel road bike? Modern production or vintage is OK. I realize that steel will be heavier but a 'reasonable' weight would be appreciated.

    I currently have a mid 90s Serotta Colorado CSI racing bike, which while it is a great bike and frame; I do find myself wishing for a more relaxed geometry, including, but not restricted to, a somewhat more upright posture. I will use the bike for general fitness and group rides of 25-40 miles. I will keep the Serotta as a second 'racier' bike. I do not race.
    Do you happen to know your CSI's geometry specs?

    I, personally, am very comfortable on my Black Mountain Cycles (road) frame.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAVELBIKE View Post
    Do you happen to know your CSI's geometry specs?

    I, personally, am very comfortable on my Black Mountain Cycles (road) frame.
    It is a size 54L lugged steel bike from 1995-98. The 54L from that era means that it has a 54 cm seat tube but a 55 cm top tube. My selection of the size was not intentional, it was on offer used at a good price and I grabbed it. I am 5 ft 10 inches tall with a standover height of 32 inches including biking shoes. I seem to fit 53-54 cm bikes best though sometimes 56 cm fit OK in some bikes.

    The other dimensions and angles on the Serotta:

    Seat Tube: 54
    Top Tube: 55
    Head Angle: 73.5
    Seat Angle: 73
    Chain Stays: 41.5
    Wheel Base: 97.8

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: GRAVELBIKE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by haziz View Post
    It is a size 54L lugged steel bike from 1995-98. The 54L from that era means that it has a 54 cm seat tube but a 55 cm top tube. My selection of the size was not intentional, it was on offer used at a good price and I grabbed it. I am 5 ft 10 inches tall with a standover height of 32 inches including biking shoes. I seem to fit 53-54 cm bikes best though sometimes 56 cm fit OK in some bikes.

    The other dimensions and angles on the Serotta:

    Seat Tube: 54
    Top Tube: 55
    Head Angle: 73.5
    Seat Angle: 73
    Chain Stays: 41.5
    Wheel Base: 97.8
    I'm 5'10" and fit well on a 56 TT bike. Do you know the head tube length for the Serotta?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I'll second Jamis if you're budget minded.
    +3.. the Jamis is a great bike for the money.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,166
    I'll say waterford, or a serotta fierte.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    66
    +1 for Jamis.

    And LEMOND. How has nobody mentioned Lemonds?

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: regnaD kciN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    128

    Relaxed Geometry Steel Road Bike?

    Quote Originally Posted by bbulmann View Post
    And LEMOND. How has nobody mentioned Lemonds?
    Because they're not being made any more?

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    Because they're not being made any more?
    OP: "Modern production or vintage is OK. I realize that steel will be heavier but a 'reasonable' weight would be appreciated."

    Lemond made some wonderful lightweight Columbus steel tubed bikes with relaxed geometry. Reasonable not only in weight but also in cost- I've seen lots of Lemond Zurichs on Craigslist in the 500-800 range in great condition and with great components.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will I outgrow a relaxed geometry road bike?
    By s54 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 06:20 PM
  2. Best performance relaxed geometry bike
    By wayne in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-28-2010, 02:18 PM
  3. Looking for new road bike with relaxed geometry
    By seanbasaman in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-02-2010, 06:34 PM
  4. Road geometry vs. Relaxed geometry?
    By Bike Flyer in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 01:50 PM
  5. Relaxed geometry bike choices!!
    By Guyton in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 06:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook