RoadBikeReview Member

Renovo wood frames - I want one!

There was a thread 6 months ago about Renovo and their wood bikes:

Wood Frames... now cliche free!!

Shortly thereafter, I got to see them at the Seattle Bike Expo. I can say that in-person, their bikes are drop-dead gorgeous, at least imho. According to the guy I talked to, they make them out of hard woods that normal woodworking tools would break. Since I am no expert, and don't know anything about Bubinga, Lyptus, or Paduak hardwoods, I'll just have to take their wood for it that these are good materials to build bikes out of.

I was reminded of them as they got a pic on Velonews here:

http://velonews.com/photo/97025

It turns out that they have test rides available... and in my area. I think I need to schedule a ride.

Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Look 585 / Look 555 / Redline Conquest Pro / Kona Kapu / Santa Cruz Blur / Torker U-District / Custom fixie

http://www.BloggersInc.com/CycloPath/

kytyree
    Hmm, interesting. I bet my old man could tackle that project if I gave him some specs for sensitive parts. Too bad he's got enough projects already.

Yet Vertically Compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliConCarnage
    TAccording to the guy I talked to, they make them out of hard woods that normal woodworking tools would break. Since I am no expert, and don't know anything about Bubinga, Lyptus, or Paduak hardwoods,
    That might be a little bit of marketing hype. Padauk is my favorite wood to work with (smells kinda like sweet pipe tobacco when you cut it). It's no harder on tools than any other common hardwood. Bubinga wears down your cutting surfaces faster than, say, hard maple, but it doesn't 'break' the tools.

That being said, Renovo's bikes are drop-dead gorgeous, and the joinery and other workmanship on the bikes I've seen at their displays were top-notch.

Making memories
    Gorgeous!!!! Remember when the early Trek 5200 and 5500 were categorized as having a "wood like" ride? What did they exactly mean? Does wood ride like wood?

RoadBikeReview Member
    hmmm... a wood bike would be hella cool for crusing around. I've been thinking about making a paper mache bike for nothing more than showing off.

toomanybikes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliConCarnage
    There was a thread 6 months ago about Renovo and their wood bikes:

Wood Frames... now cliche free!!

Shortly thereafter, I got to see them at the Seattle Bike Expo. I can say that in-person, their bikes are drop-dead gorgeous, at least imho. According to the guy I talked to, they make them out of hard woods that normal woodworking tools would break. Since I am no expert, and don't know anything about Bubinga, Lyptus, or Paduak hardwoods, I'll just have to take their wood for it that these are good materials to build bikes out of.

I was reminded of them as they got a pic on Velonews here:

http://velonews.com/photo/97025

It turns out that they have test rides available... and in my area. I think I need to schedule a ride.

You know you wouldn't be allowed to ride that if the forest fire danger is high,

Right??

waterproof*
    you want wood? this bike gives me wood:

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/bl...ck-frame-ever/

AM999's Liberal Facist
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    you want wood? this bike gives me wood:

http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/bl...ck-frame-ever/
    Meh. A $10,000 frame that is only designed to work with a $5000 component group. To boot, it also looks as fugly as aero tubing bikes usually do, with $10,000 worth of fugly graphics included for free.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

kytyree
    That's not the Storck I would choose, but if money were no issue, that is certainly one that would be in my museum sized bike collection, should the lottery come calling.

Reality Star
    I saw the Renovo bikes at Sea Otter 2010 and had a short ride on the R4 and R2. First impression was the ride was sweet. Not dead or lifeless. Good vibration moderation. Not sluggish. I did not have the opportunity to climb but overall very favorable. The frames are beautiful heirloom worthy pieces. Weight is comparable to steel and titanium frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    They finally posted a photo of the all wood R3 frame.

http://www.renovobikes.com/r3-road/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Duende
    I saw the Renovo bikes at Sea Otter 2010 and had a short ride on the R4 and R2. First impression was the ride was sweet. Not dead or lifeless. Good vibration moderation. Not sluggish. I did not have the opportunity to climb but overall very favorable. The frames are beautiful heirloom worthy pieces. Weight is comparable to steel and titanium frames.
    i hate old thread being revived. LOL

Home Brew User!
    Jul 2004
    I would ride that any day. Very Cool.

Joined the other team in the name of the economy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Very very beautiful stuff! timeless classic. if i were rich, would definitely have one of those(complete wood frame one)..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

First Time Post

Thanks for the invite. I'm an old fart who loves bikes. Did the 2011 Nove Colli in Italy this year. Wooden bikes are my interest right now. I have the wooden tubular rims, laced to high flange Campy hubs and they look great. Now I need a wooden frame to match. Any thoughts ?

John

RoadBikeReview Member
    lovely in that red tint but strange cable routing for the front derailleur IMO