RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Replacing wheels one at a time

I'm diing to upgrade/replace my stock wheels. While I'd love to get a full wheelset, I financing may only allow for me to get one whell at a time.

Is this a good idea? And does it matter if the front wheel gets it first or does the rear have the most inpact?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    usually buying a wheelset is cheaper than buying wheels one at a time. I've got a new set of wheels off of a 10 speed litespeed, but I live in Colorado and you live in So Cal, & the shipping would be a pain and your bike is probably 11 speed. Good luck and make sure that you are getting a true upgrade over your present wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree with twinkles 100%. However, if you decide to do them individually, it might take a lot of patience, to get the best pricing on them individually. A buddy of mine saved almost $600 off of retail on his Zipp 404s, but it took him almost 8 months to get there. Personally, I don't have that kind of patience, but if you can suck it up, it will be worth it at any cost. As for upgrade over your current wheels: If the wheels make you like your bike more, they will usually make you want to ride more. That is a worthy upgrade at any cost in my book.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Will you really enjoy riding the bike that way? I know I would not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before you go spending money on new wheels, you may want to read the sticky below and answer some of these questions. A few of these questions are dated, but most still apply. And the answers will help others here give you advice. Oh, and you will get much better responses if you post in the Wheels & Tires subforum:

What wheels should I buy?

On this forum, this question gets asked often -

Q - I want new wheels for my bike. What should I buy?

A - Of course, for a good answer, we need as much information as possible. Some of the info we need is -

• Why do you want new wheels? What's wrong with your old ones?
    • What are you old ones? (rim name, hub name, spokes, their numbers)
    • How much do you want to spend?
    • How heavy are you?
    • Do you ride "light" or "heavy"? Are you powerful or smooth?
    • Have you had problems with your current wheels and if so, what?
    • What condition are the roads in that you ride?
    • What tires, widths and pressures are you using?
    • What do you expect from your new wheels that your old ones can't deliver? (be reasonable and realistic here!)
    • What are you going to use the wheels for - recreational riding, touring (loaded), training, racing, general purpose?
    • Do you want custom hand-built (designed for you) or factory pre-built?
    • Do you want wheels that are easily repairable with readily available, reasonably priced spokes and rims or are you ok with maybe having to ship your wheels back to the factory and wheels that contain expensive, proprietary spokes and possibly un-obtainium replacement rims?
    • Do you need 11spd compatible wheels (can be used with 8 ~10spd cassettes too by using a spacer) or are 10spd wheels ok? (can only be used with 8 ~ 10spd cassettes). Edit - This info is for Shimano & SRAM related cassettes; not Campagnolo.
    • Do you want the wheels to be oriented towards "aero" or "light"?
    • Do you want to use regular clincher, tubeless, or tubular tires?
    • Aluminum or carbon rims?
    • Rim brakes or disk brakes?
    • Rear hub width? (120, 126, 130, 135MM)
    • Do you want adjustable loose ball bearing hubs (almost exclusively Shimano) or cartridge bearing hubs (almost everything else)?
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Will you really enjoy riding the bike that way? I know I would not.
    Because wheels matching or not matching effects riding a bike how?

OP, it matters not that wheels match. Some "sets" don't even have matching rims and we all know hubs and likely spoke count never match.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Because wheels matching or not matching effects riding a bike how?

OP, it matters not that wheels match. Some "sets" don't even have matching rims and we all know hubs and likely spoke count never match.
    If it weren't noticeable at all . why upgrade in the first place? I understand the bike will be ridable. That's not my point.
    Last edited by Trek_5200; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:32 AM.